Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    For further reference it is bizarre to me that an adventure game from the makers of Syberia got no coverage on RPS:

Yet this appeared in three articles and was heavily pushed multiple times in the Katchup:

Or this hasn't gotten any coverage from any of the major sites:

While this did:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQV3eLY5roc
    I'm not griping (much); I just don't understand the motivation behind media coverage. I used to feel like I could put together the moving pieces that made a successful campaign, and now it's getting harder.
    Last edited by Internet; 14-04-2014 at 03:38 PM.

I have to say though, Serpent in the Staglands looks supremely unappealing and what gameplay footage I've seen makes me think it would be very tedious to actually play. But I suppose that's a matter of taste. The media probably should have given it more coverage in any case.

Activated Node
    Getting press is mostly about who you know, or being famous already.
    It helps to meet the press folks in person, at conventions and such. Otherwise you simply won't be somewhere in the back of their minds. It's incredibly handy to be able to say "Hey remember me? we talked at so and so, and this is my new game".
    Being friends matters a lot more than your actual game. It's personal not objective.
    Which I tend to dislike, it feels like backdoor politics to me.
    But they're only human, on average they have 30 minutes a day to look through 30 emails. It was never explained why but a lot of journalists also barely get paid so that might factor in somewhere. (maybe just for words, not for research?)

Mike Rose has written some very decent articles on press interaction over at gamasutra:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...ss_in_2013.php
    http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MikeR...Indie_Game.php

Personally I would really like to see a much better overview of all games instead of bringing up tidbits of the same few games over and over again and leaving others out completely. But that probably isn't what the readers want. Oh well..

I try to do my bit with the weekly crowdfunding catchup Screenshot Overview.

Not that many this week, I think Internet covered most of them already. Indiegogo seems to attract more and more hollow projects despite the recent website overhaul.
    Heart Forth Alicia looks cool with nice lighting, a metroidvania type game for $60000.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I'm not griping (much); I just don't understand the motivation behind media coverage. I used to feel like I could put together the moving pieces that made a successful campaign, and now it's getting harder.
    Instead we got an article about how an upcoming game by a certain publisher unsurprisingly uses the same DRM as all other recent games published by that same publisher. Priorities, man!
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

In other news, Chaos Reborn has been sucessfully funded.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Not that anyone but me cares, but Jet Getters and the Hero Trap made it too. I am actually curious about Chaos reborn. Did anyone play/like the original?

Also, Bear Simulator has made $92k and now has a giant crystal cave with evil chickens. They also released the newest screenshot of the game.
    Last edited by Internet; 16-04-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfunkel View Post
    Heart Forth Alicia looks cool with nice lighting, a metroidvania type game for $60000.
    So yeah, that hit $55k overnight. It does have beautiful pixel art.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's a pretty sparse week this week. Most people are probably at / preparing for pax.
    New

The big story is obviously Heartforth Alicia. It's burning through stretchgoals at $100k.

Inspire me, a time travel point and click adventure.
    Colony 42. A horror game.
    Trial of Trails. A game that you control by using a stationary bike. The game looks kinda amateur, but I want it to work.
    Ongoing

Fan favorite (I'm a fan) Serpent in the Staglands is slogging through a campaign with no media coverage, they'll probably get their third stretch goal at $25k, hopefully. $20.4k right now with the last week to go.
    Bookworm Adventures inspired Apexicon has just $200 left to go in four days.
    Cosmochoria has been funded.
    5 minute 4x Hero Generations has been funded and reached its family tree stretchgoal.
    Doublefine-Published noir game last life is 80% of the way there.
    While it's competitor Pixel Noir only has 16% of its total funding.
    Prisonscape is 20% of the way there.

Finished
    Bear Simulator made $100k, reached the linux support stretch goal.
    Chaos Reborn actually made it's localization stretchgoal.
    Hero Trap was funded by the skin of its chinny chin chin.
    Indie Graphics builder was funded. I was interested in it, but it seemed more for professionals than hobbyists.
    Red Solstice surprisingly has made over $20k over its goal, reached its first stretchgoal, and going on the next in the last 8 hours.

In weird news, Jet Getters was funded but then cancelled. That always makes me suspicious of the creators.
    Dead Crusade was cancelled. It looked good, but more like a publisher title anyways.
    Kodama didn't make it. They tried lowering the price in the last week to no avail (it actually made a negative day).
    Rogue Uplift didn't make it.
    Last edited by Internet; 20-04-2014 at 02:14 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hover, a cross between Jet Set Radio, Mirror's Edge, and Tony Hawk.
    Last edited by Internet; 03-05-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I am actually curious about Chaos reborn. Did anyone play/like the original?
    Probably around 1000 games or so in total, and it's been enjoyed by everyone in my life that I've introduced it to from other gaming nerds in the late 80's to Uni friends with little interest in strategy, to my wife who has zero interest in gaming.

I wouldn't blame a modern gamer for dismissing it based purely on the graphics and (lack of) interface, but the gameplay is just superb once you're in the middle of a decent multiplayer match - regardless of whether you're facing a human or the CPU. It's biggest weakness is probably that the 'order' of turns can have a decisive impact and sometimes the end-game AI is a little unfocused on getting a decisive win/lose outcome (but hey, it was made in the mid 80's).

Give it a try. I'd recommend at around 6 Wizards and of strength lv4 or so for starters.

http://torinak.com/qaop#!chaos

Activated Node
    Here's the weekly Screenshot Overview:
    http://dromedarydreams.com/blog/apri.../2014-04-23-58

Three picks from the list:
    - The Conjuring House, a good looking first person horror game over on indiegogo. $190000 but flexible funding.
    - I really wish Omori, a surreal jrpg, showed some actual gameplay. I want to like it but it's already funded at over their $22000 goal, which is a point for selling relatively unsubstantial hot air. Though the gameplay does seem obvious.
    - Worship me. Reminds me a lot of sega's altered beast, a 2d beat 'em up. This is not everybody's cup of tea at all, but it seems like a personal work. But a goal of $3000 for gauging interest doesn't inspire confidence.

Colony 42 was cancelled.
    And I'm pleasantly surprised at Heart forth alicia's success, great stuff. But I wonder how much their publisher Chucklefish had to do with that, marketing support and such.

Obscure Node
    Anyone that followed the entire saga around 5 years should remember Bobs Game - the viral protest to nintendo

Well the game is finally on kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bobsgame/bobs-game

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Serpent in the Staglands just hit it's first expansion stretchgoal as it heads into the last two days. If it has two incredibly good last days then it could hit the second one. They've also released a bunch of in game art, and this backer-concept monster is my favorite:

It's a shame, the final one, Varuchov's King could have been like the Deep Roads but perhaps more interesting.
    Last edited by Internet; 24-04-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Habitat made it with another seven days left to meet stretch goals.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That's an awesome gif.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ugh. Wedding shit is eating into my kickstarter time. No one else in the world has it worse than me.

New Games:
    Buck - Dogsploration 2D Action-Adventure.
    Lets Go Camping - FPS Roguelite about camping.
    Clive - An N64/Playstation style 3D platformer. The world needs more of these.
    Floating World - A very cool-looking adventure game inspired by traditional Japanese art.
    Universe Edge - A cross between starmade and gnomoria.
    Ongoing
    Armello has 10 days to get the last 25%. Shouldn't be hard for the hex strategy game.
    Cosmochoria has doubled its goal and is now in its final 3.
    Heart Forth Alicia is getting all the money. It broke $100k and now has ps4/mac/linux, challenge dungeons, and NG+.
    Noir game Last Life will be funded in a day or so, and it still has two weeks left.
    Pixel Noir, Pop-Up Dungeon , and Prisonscape still languish below 30%. All of which surprise me since they look like quality games.

Finished
    Apexicon made it this time around, and even reached the villain quest stretchgoal.
    Grave made it and ends in two hours.
    Hero Generations hit an impressive five stretch goals. Good news for the five minute roguelike / 4x.
    Serpent in the Staglands made

Colony 42 was cancelled after a dismal showing.
    As was Contact Vector.
    Still Alive didn't make it. It was a quality pitch, but zombies seem like a no go in 2014.
    Barring divine intervention, Waldemar the Warlock will probably miss in two days.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Two new ones:
    Codemancer - An educational bildungsroman teaching kids the logic behind programming.
    Old City - A post-apocalyptic FPS adventure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Codemancer makes me think of Diamond Age's Primer and the Castle-Turing-and-beyond escapades therein.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wish I had read it. It makes me think of Lego Robots, which are programmed in much the same way.