Thread: Old Magazines

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar

Old Magazines

Doing some cleaning and came across The Dread Closet of the Lost Computer Magazines.
    Tally so far:

ACE: 4
    Amiga Action: 15
    Amiga Computing: 16
    Amiga Format: 46
    Amiga Power: 19
    Amiga Shopper: 14
    Amiga User: 7
    Amiga World: 10
    Computer Graphics World: 8
    CU Amiga: 22
    Edge: 2
    Games Machine: 2
    Mac Addict: 2
    PC Gamer: 9
    PC Accelerator: 1
    Raze: 1
    Strategy Plus: 10
    The One: 16
    Zzap! 64: 6
    Zero: 10
    Wired: 4

(Plus a good bunch of Danish PC magazines which were never very good, but they did come with either games or demos on the cover CDs/DVDs. That saved quite a bit on my pay-per-minute dial-up).

Bit amazed the closet hasn't gone through the floor; they weigh a ton.

The magazines cost on average 2-3 times more than they did in the US/UK, and eventually the price became completely ridiculous, so I think I bought the last one around 1998 or so (except for the Danish ones). I was on the net then too, so the magazines became less useful and it showed; they got more and more rare in the stores.

The irony is that I could have afforded a lot better hardware and a lot more games if I hadn't bought those magazines, but if I hadn't, I wouldn't have known what to get...
    Last edited by Similar; 05-09-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    PC Accelerator: 1
    That's the Maxim-alike where they rated games by how many asses were kicked, right?

You dirty bastard, you.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    That's the Maxim-alike where they rated games by how many asses were kicked, right?
    I remember it as being pretty lame, at least. Also why I only bought one.

You dirty bastard, you.
    heh. yeah, just looking it through it now. It's really rather embarrassing. Headlines such as 'Complete Guide to Everquest and more babes than a Baywatch marathon' should probably have made me think before buying it. Or the cover photo, perhaps.

So it was no doubt the Mechwarrior III demo on the cover disc that made me buy it...

I gave PC Accelerator the pet name of PC Asselerator because of the content.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    THE ONE amiga was a pet favourite of mine. It's sad all the legitimately interesting writing that has disappeared forever, my mother always throwing away my magazines (which I stored in crates), why didn't she just throw away my soul *shakes fist*.

At least the Internets penchant for archiving everything solves that.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    THE ONE amiga was a pet favourite of mine.
    Mine too, and Zero was nice too, but I couldn't afford many of those, sadly.

It's sad all the legitimately interesting writing that has disappeared forever, my mother always throwing away my magazines (which I stored in crates), why didn't she just throw away my soul *shakes fist*.
    aw. My mother has commented every time she saw my stash too, but I kept her at bay.

At least the Internets penchant for archiving everything solves that.
    yes. I talked to a guy once who was working on scanning every single issue of Zzap! 64, and I think he got pretty far. I don't know if his site is still up, though.

No 'Commodore User'? -1

(wish I'd kept my Zap 64's though).

Quote Originally Posted by Chorltonwheelie View Post
    No 'Commodore User'? -1
    I don't think it was sold here or I'm sure I would have at least a few issues. Bit odd, really.