Secondary Hivemind Nexus

[VS]Current Mumble Binds Set up

OK, so we've been using a new system on Mumble for StratGir for about a month now, and it's gone pretty well. We're certainly considering moving over to it full time.
    As requested, here is a step-by-step guide on how to set it up.
    (For those who find this tl;dr and think they know what they are doing, there will be a summary in the post after this.)

1. Open up mumble. Go the "Configure" menu. Click on "Settings". Select the "Shortcuts" tab. Remove any binds that are already there (unless used for other games/servers/groups)
    2. Being setting up your new binds. First thing you are going to want is a push to talk button. Within the "Direct comms" setup, this will always talk to your current channel. Click "Add" at the bottom of the window. Click on this new bind under the "functions" heading, where it says unassigned. Select "Push to talk" from the list. Click under the "shortcuts" heading. Press the button you wish to use (this should be something easy to press).
    3. Add another. This time, select "whisper/shout" for the function.
    4. Click on the "data" column for this bind. Select "shout to channel", then scroll through the list of channels until you find "current" near the top. Select this. Check the "shout to linked channels" box. Press OK. Set a shortcut key. This bind is the button you press to report in to command.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    1. Filler
    2. Filler
    3. Filler
    4. Filler
    5. Add another shout. This should go to parent. Leave "shout to linked channels" and "shout to subchannels" unchecked. This should be on the same button as the previous shout to current and linked. Again, this is how you talk to command.
    6. Add another shout. This time to current. Check the "shout to subchannels" box. Do not check anything else. Set up a key for this. This is used by platoon leaders (or Supreme Giraffes) to speak to all of their squads.
    7. Add another shout. This time you need to expand the tree past "current" (click the little arrow). Select "Subchannel 1" (nb: Do not select "^ Subchannel 1" under parent). Check the "shout to linked channels" box. This is used to contact Alpha squad in your current platoon (from anywhere). Set up a key for this (numpad 1 is recommended).
    8. Repeat step 7 for subchannels 2 through 4. This will give you direct lines to Bravo, Charlie and delta squads. Again, numpad keys are recommended.
    9. Congratulations. You should now be able to talk to pretty much anyone you might need to at any time, without annoying others. Your mumble shortcuts page should look very much like this:
    Last edited by CMaster; 30-09-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: added a missing bit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Summary for those who want it, and those who can set up bind quickly when they know what is needed:

For this, those who wish to talk cross-channel (including PLs) need these shouts set up:

Target Extra Settings Function
    Subchannel #1 Shout To linked Always talks to Alpha
    Subchannel #2 Shout To linked Always talks to Bravo
    Subchannel #3 Shout To linked Always talks to Charlie
    Subchannel #4 Shout To linked Always talks to delta
    Current Shout To subs (As PL only) Talks to all squads
    Current Shout To Linked Reports to PL,
    Parent None Reports to PL (same key as above)

The end results of all this should look something like this:

Happy chattering.

For bonus points: Add a shout to "current" on the same key as all your binds to the various subchannels. This will let your squad here you when you are talking to other squads.
    Last edited by CMaster; 30-09-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node BasicPauly's Avatar
    Would a "shout to everyone in all platoons and/or current platoon" key be?
    Would this simply be a shout to root, or is it simpler than that?

Similarly, what would the setup be for "shout to all squads in current platoon"?
    I mean, I guess you could just do four more binds on the same key, but is there a simpler solution? Does the "pl talking to all their squads" key work for SLs too, or is this restricted to people in the PL channel?

Edit: Derp, obviously not root. It was 4:30 am when I posted this :P
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 06-09-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Shout to everyone in all platoons would probably be Shout to <StratGir Direct Comms> + Subchannels.

Shout to all squads in current platoon is Current + Subchannels, regardless of your current position. (See the A-D channels underneath each squad? Those link to Alpha-Delta in the same platoon.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Would a "shout to everyone in all platoons and/or current platoon" key be?
    Would this simply be a shout to root, or is it simpler than that?
    Root means the root of the whole server, so you don't want to be doing that.
    A shout to "Stragir Direct comms + subchannels" would do it, but really, it's not the sort of thing anybody should need or want (for SupGir, the Current + subs will do it, after I move SupGir tonight).

Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Similarly, what would the setup be for "shout to all squads in current platoon"?
    I mean, I guess you could just do four more binds on the same key, but is there a simpler solution? Does the "pl talking to all their squads" key work for SLs too, or is this restricted to people in the PL channel?
    In contrast to what Eso says above, the "current + subs" only works for PL (and steps above PL). It doesn't work for being in the squads. In that case, a "parent + subs" would work. But again, it's hard to see a valid use for it, and excessive goes-everywhere communications was something we were seeking to avoid.

Ah, yeah you're right, CMaster. Current+subs won't work for squad channels. Mindfart.

Lesser Hivemind Node BasicPauly's Avatar
    Thanks.

Yeah, its useage would be limited, but its nice to have the option there, for specific occasions or needs. Of course, I would only use it when needed, and I wouldnt recommend anybody use it all the time.

I would also make sure that it was on a key far away from anything im likely to push by accident! :P

Shout to everybody would be useful in specific cases.

Shout to all squads would be very useful IMO though, just in case you had a message that relates to all squads but is not critical and thus doesnt need to clog up the PLs brain. Organisation of full platoon drops, or asking other squads directly if they had a specific asset that you needed all at once. I suppose you could argue that you could ask each individually, but asking all would save time, and saving on wasting time is important.

Shout to all is definitely a limited use thing, but there are definitely valid cases for shout to all squads.

My only question would be: Does this shout to the entire squad, or just their SL? Im assuming entire squad, in which case, yeah its probably less useful. Is that the point of this new system, in that even other squad members can talk over to other squads, or is it just like the previous SL-SL stuff?

It's squad to squad. Rarely used, but situationally useful. The problem is you risk not getting a response...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just gonna bump this.

Ok bumping this for Cooper and whoever can sticky it.

For my personal setup, I've made two modifications :
    - removed the extra bind for the PL to talk to everyone. The basic whisper key works great for that
    - added a "talk to current (with no option)" to each of the button that are already binded to "talk to squad X" bind so that if i talk to another squad, my squad can hears me too. Especially useful when the PL is in a PL channel with several people (TVA liaison, bodyguard, etc.)

See my full setup, with the "talk to current" bind open to show you how i can talk to bravo and my current channel :
    Capture.jpg
    Last edited by Ksempac; 23-10-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I've copied Cmaster's post to the Stickied thread (that thread is linked to from a number of places, so it makes sense to keep it there to keep the URL consistent and just edit it.)

I will re-write / overhaul the website's record of this info & that thread soon.

Can we agree that this will be "the way we do it" from now on. The constant shift in comms protocol has really left some people behind, such that people are reluctant to PL because of it.

One question: With this setup can a PL sit in a squad channel or does it necessitate that the PL is in their own channel?
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

That setup has been successfully tested on August and definitely adopted on September because both PLs and squads liked it (as a PL it's very smooth and enjoyable, if you try it you will like it).

Basically it works by sending directly to each squad channel instead of relying on a complex hierarchy of channels and people positions.

So if the PL wanna sit in a squad channel (let's say Alpha) , he may do so, others squads will simply have to reply to PL by using the talk to Alpha instead of their normal whisper to parent.
    Last edited by Ksempac; 23-10-2013 at 11:55 PM.

Double post for more context

The setup was judged good, but the full deployment has been slow for 3 reasons :
    - people not setting up their binds before leading/stratgir and/or not finding the magic thread (no available mod to sticky it)
    - some people would did set them up had bugs in their setup, resulting in cross chat or coms failures
    - reduced outfit attendance means reduced opportunities for StratGir / split coms and hence no drive to push for binds.

What i suggested back in September after a StratGir that had coms trouble was that we should do a massive "mumble bind setup" training session. Haven't got around it for different reasons (my own lack of motivation, lack of others people pushing for binds, the reduced need for split coms,...)
    Last edited by Ksempac; 24-10-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    One question: With this setup can a PL sit in a squad channel or does it necessitate that the PL is in their own channel?
    PL can sit in a squad channel. Other squads will have to remember which squad that is, then press the appropriate bind to talk to PL.
    Alternativley PL can invit their squad up to join them. Downside is their squad then has to put up with sitreps.

Hmm. Can maybe use ACL to give PL link powers, then PL could just link into a squad if they want to do that, unlink when they don't want. That could be the best.