So, the NSA basically killed encryption

I suppose most of you have already heard of it by now but yeah...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/us....html?hp&_r=1&

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013...ernet-traffic/

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013...the-good-guys/

Somehow the NSA debacle seems to get worse by the day, the long-term damage impossible to estimate. Carrier pigeons and tinfoil hats it is.
    New! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Not so new anymore! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Or just employ hackers instead of shun them.

Its hardly anything new what whatsisname "uncovered".
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Well they didn't kill it. They won't be able to do it in real time and won't have enough resource to decrypt everything they sniff. So it is still really a targeted tool for people they suspect.

This is not defending the NSA/GCHQ in anyway coercing companies into handing over keys or putting in backdoors. It's more of a practical reality which should stop people from knee jerk reactions.

You're quite right, most of what Snowden describes is quite known amongst IT people but it's another thing to finally gain confirmation and have it in the headlines where it belongs.
    In fact, I have been browsing some ancient Telepolis articles. Some stuff looks very different when read nowadays.
    http://www.heise.de/tp/artikel/2/2898/1.html
    http://www.heise.de/tp/artikel/5/5263/1.html
    http://www.heise.de/tp/artikel/6/6743/1.html
    New! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Not so new anymore! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    May be to combat this, the only way is:

to train every citizen to be an IT engineer so that each can encrypt / decrypt on his own.

I regret to say this but, this is a crucial part of anti-terrorist war. There are prices we need to pay for our safety and this is one of the many. In stead of ruling out this practice, I more of advocate to develop a mechanism to keep the policy in check to ensure that information advantage will absolutely not be exploited for personal interest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    May be to combat this, the only way is:

to train every citizen to be an IT engineer so that each can encrypt / decrypt on his own.

I regret to say this but, this is a crucial part of anti-terrorist war. There are prices we need to pay for our safety and this is one of the many. In stead of ruling out this practice, I more of advocate to develop a mechanism to keep the policy in check to ensure that information advantage will absolutely not be exploited for personal interest.
    Terrorism is an irrelevance, squirrel. The only people it kills are the unfortunates targeted by US drone strikes. The response it requires is not a secret police to spy on the citizenry, which is a cure far worse than the disease.

Whatever threat you perceive from terrorists, governments still are the biggest threat if they turn on you.

Imagine: some loosely organised people, or an entire nation, if the government isnt stupid.

Not saying you should be paranoid about anything, but just put everything in perspective.

Also no, not everyone should know IT, but hacking and anti hacking measures should finally be taken seriously. its so annoying to hear people complain about hackers and that theyre the reason computers are unsafe, when all most of the ones I know want to do is make certain loopholes and security risks known to the world so it can be fixed.

This is a recording I made of a talk by one of the german leading experts on IT security:

https://vimeo.com/61459068
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 07-09-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The scariest thing to come out of all of these 'revelations' - at least if you're a techie - is not what's going on (something most of us suspected to some degree) but the sheer apathy of everyone else about it.

The vast majority are just too dumb to realise what any of this means - they, effectively, don't care about any of it because it doesn't affect them (so they think).

These are the same people who will post pictures of themselves fucking a dog on Facebook and wonder how people discovered they were dog fuckers, of course...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    It doesn't surprise me that the Americans get up to these shenanigans. I'm just disappointed that the computer/tech sector has apparently rolled over like a puppy: I don't know why any big business or non-American government would ever want to use Microsoft products again, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    These are the same people who will post pictures of themselves fucking a dog on Facebook and wonder how people discovered they were dog fuckers, of course...
    In a Belgian publicity campaign, a 'fortune-teller' was looking at the Facebook pages of his customers, stunning them with his incredible knowledge of their lives.

In the words of the Facebook founder: 'I don't know why. They "trust me". Dumb fucks.'

"He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18