Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    if nazis are illegal, why not treat racists and sexists in equal measure?
    Because nazis aren't illegal?
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I don't think "women simply aren't heroes" is a problem with a fucking language barrier. You act as if this is all just one big misunderstanding, but the only thing you're misunderstanding is that some people are actually shits.
    You act as if I'm talking about a specific example. I'm not. I (and NathanH I believe) were discussing hypotheticals. What ifs. Possibilities.

Are you claiming that misunderstandings can't or don't happen?

Edit: And, on your specific example, does saying "women simply aren't heroes" really make someone a bigot, regardless of context or larger meaning of the discussion?

Sure, it could mean "women are inferior, they lack certain physical/personal traits that men possess and allows them to be heroic... women simply aren't heroes".

Or... It could mean "In my experience, in the stories and narratives produced by my culture/society etc. there is a lack of females cast in the role of the hero... In short, women simply aren't heroes"

Would you consider both of these the opinion of a Bigot, and call them shits?
    Last edited by Unaco; 11-09-2013 at 04:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

You cannot be tolerant to intolerance.
    I find myself agreeing with Unaco on this one. Had to remember all my details to log in just to say how stupid that statement was. You are not tolerant yourself, you claim to be, but you aren't at all. By your own rules I will now call you a stupid shit-stain. After all, we can't tolerate intolerance.
    Last edited by CuriousOrange; 11-09-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousOrange View Post
    I find myself agreeing with Unaco on this one. Had to remember all my details to log in just to say how stupid that statement was. You are not tolerant yourself, you claim to be, but you aren't at all. By your own rules I will now call you a stupid shit-stain. After all, we can't tolerate intolerance.
    There's nothing stupid about that statement. It's a necessary contradiction for living in a pluralist society. Just like democracies can't allow undemocratic people to be elected (because they're a threat to democracy), a tolerant society can't allow intolerance (because they're a threat to tolerance).

the only thing you're misunderstanding is that some people are actually shits.
    You can't say that. There is no moral right or wrong! We are a forum full of peevish toddlers who need to learn that proper upstanding world citizens never resort to insult.

Engaging people vituperatively lowers one to their level. English expressions are absolute and brickbat renders any context irrelevant. Potty language indicates a pitiable vocabulary!

---

I can spout sarcastically-moronic cliches until my fingers fall off. I'm glad for increased attention but focus on invective makes people miss forests of semiotics for insignificant four-letter trees.

It's Jim's place to run, though, and I'll tolerate his rules. I still think it's silly to expect people to be ultrapolite socialites especially when certain topics are so clearly significant and/or polarizing.
    Last edited by Jambe; 11-09-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    Is not a leg.
    Frobnitz Ichor Liquor purveyors don't need compasses to tell which way the moon sounds.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    There's nothing stupid about that statement. It's a necessary contradiction for living in a pluralist society. Just like democracies can't allow undemocratic people to be elected (because they're a threat to democracy), a tolerant society can't allow intolerance (because they're a threat to tolerance).
    As Egypt illustrates.

But yes, this.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    yes they are. show me a place where they arent.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    Depends where you live

USA

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Why was Mohorovic banned again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar

America..?
    steam: sketch

Banned
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post355820 ?

or

The post has been deleted

or

People complained

or

mods had to much

Why did nalano get banned?

Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Democracies oppose undemocratic people because they are the antithesis of democracy. That's not a good analogy at all. Killing those who murder would be a better analogy, because they're a threat to our right to not be murdered. And it's also wrong.

A supposedly tolerant society that doesn't tolerate intolerance isn't a tolerant society at all. What a ridiculous sentence that was, and also I've typed the word tolerance so many times it's just a sound now.
    Last edited by CuriousOrange; 11-09-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tradaa View Post
    Depends where you live

USA
    so you can run around with a swastika and spout propaganda against people of specific ethnicities or religions?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    so you can run around with a swastika
    Like some British helicopter pilot guy.

and spout propaganda against people of specific ethnicities or religions?
    Like some idiot who burned Quaran.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Banned
    Last edited by tradaa; 11-09-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambe View Post
    vituperatively
    [...]
    brickbat
    Brb gonna go check definitions of words.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Brb gonna go check definitions of words.
    This thread is a lot like mallemaroking.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousOrange View Post
    Democracies oppose undemocratic people because they are the antithesis of democracy. That's not a good analogy at all. Killing those who murder would be a better analogy, because they're a threat to our right to not be murdered. And it's also wrong.

A supposedly tolerant society that doesn't tolerate intolerance isn't a tolerant society at all. What a ridiculous sentence that was, and also I've typed the word tolerance so many times it's just a sound now.
    No, it is a good analogy, but because it doesn't support your point you're failing to see it. Again, if a tolerant society allows intolerance, it may reach a point where there are more intolerant people than tolerant ones, and then it ceases to be a tolerant society.

You seem to be looking at the issue through a logical point of view, and that's not what matters here. Undemocratic people aren't a problem because they're "antitheses" of democracy. They're a problem because they're a threat - if they reach power, they'll destroy democracy from within.

Sorry, I didnt assume any country stupid enough to allow nazis anything.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Banned
    Shouldn't be assuming anything