Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    I really dislike the lockings with no explanation as well. The only thing we can deduce from them is "don't talk about this". Which is incredibly disappointing.

(there were no insults being flung in this last thread, so we can't really deduce "people weren't being excellent")

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    I really dislike the lockings with no explanation as well. The only thing we can deduce from them is "don't talk about this". Which is incredibly disappointing.

(there were no insults being flung in this last thread, so we can't really deduce "people weren't being excellent")
    The only real conclusion to be drawn is that RPS wants to have a button at the top of its site that says 'forum' but does not in fact actually want a forum or a community. This is a burden that successful sites on the internet feel obligated to have, nothing more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    The only real conclusion to be drawn is that RPS wants to have a button at the top of its site that says 'forum' but does not in fact actually want a forum or a community. This is a burden that successful sites on the internet feel obligated to have, nothing more.
    If you're right and what I said in my post in the locked thread is correct, this is a terrible missed opportunity.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    And having four similar threads closed in the space of a few days just demonstrates how utterly stupid it is. Because if you identify what the problem behaviour is when you close the thread, someone will just open a new thread and (quite innocently) repeat it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    gazed into the depths of r/redpill and similar places
    Holy mother of god. I googled this and read like 2 posts before I couldn't go on. Its like an MRA site, but where they don't even pretend to care about father's rights.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    In terms of just making this forum nicer, it might work.
    And Fascism creates very clean cities.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
    Holy mother of god. I googled this and read like 2 posts before I couldn't go on. Its like an MRA site, but where they don't even pretend to care about father's rights.
    I got that wrong, it's actually r/theredpill and they hate MRA. It's amazing in all the wrong ways.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by taking potshots. Being excellent is not about not disagreeing, it's about keep discussions civil.
    Right, lesson learned: Oblique insults are the way to go.

Meanwhile, your answers to everything of import is "I don't know." So what use are you?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Dear mods:

What the hell is our takeaway from all these closed threads supposed to be? Is this the wrong place to discuss meta-forum stuff? Are these topics no longer permitted? Talk to us or stay out of it.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Right, lesson learned: Oblique insults are the way to go.

Meanwhile, your answers to everything of import is "I don't know." So what use are you?
    I'm just a janitor. I never claimed to be anything else. I have a ring of keys but I don't get to make decisions. It never was about making decisions. It's about picking up cans.
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.

I'm just a janitor. I never claimed to be anything else. I have a ring of keys but I don't get to make decisions. It never was about making decisions. It's about picking up cans.
    Here's what I see:

Jim has all the power, but doesn't pay attention to the forums or to inquiries by forum-goers.

The mods have no power, but get to suggest to Jim whether and how to apply his.

The mods tell me they have no clue why thing are going as they're going, except their actions have the most direct application to what's going on. It's a classic passing-the-buck scenario. You're not a janitor; you're a vizier.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

That's preposterous. I don't have a turban or even a scepter shaped like a snake.

If I give you two such accessories, would you be able to get back to me about why the threads were closed?

I'm sure you understand why it's so frustrating to be having an already difficult discussion about contentious matters and have it continually interrupted by closed threads without proper explanation as to why the thread was in violation of the rules. Even if you aren't in a position to do anything about it.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 14-09-2013 at 10:52 PM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Banned
    So which mod or member of staff is just closing all these threads with no reason? You get more feedback from primary school teachers.

I was wondering about a method for rapid removal of problematic content. On another forum I use that has somewhat unique goals, there is a system where regular posters with a certain number of posts, among other requirements, are able to "white out" portions of posts containing problematic content. This allows for situations where mods simply aren't able to respond fast enough being less of an issue.
    lmfao

I also don't want a republic of prolific posters to rule the roost
    Lying is bad

I did not want the thread started during this time, MoLAoS, for a variety of reasons, among them that this is not primetime for this forum. As it stands, the discussion is being dominated by the same three people.
    After that last quote this is hilarious, molaos listen to your master......
    Last edited by tradaa; 15-09-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    What the hell is our takeaway from all these closed threads supposed to be?
    Leave controversial topics alone, I guess...
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I've called people shits and I will continue to call people shits.
    And then you wonder why you've been banned twice already: -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...?104-The-Rules

1. Be excellent to each other.

2. That means not insulting each other.

3. No, really, it's possible to disagree without insults. Just don't do it.
    You see capriciousness, I just see a man who thinks he's John Wayne and beyond the rules.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I can't help myself; hypocrisy and superciliousness is in my nature
    You really need to get help, bro.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    You really need to get help, bro.
    1) I ain't your bro

2) And you really need to read the rules and realise they do apply to you. It's all very well for you to sound off ad infinitum & ad Nauseum about how terribad and reprehensible everything is from the Hivemind, the appointed mods, and whatever other grievance is bugging you about RPS this particular nanosecond, but plain truth of the matter is you're part of the problem because you're seemingly unwilling to adhere to some pretty simple site rules. If you're not prepared to toe the line, why do you expect everyone else to? You want a better forum? Then be a better role model.

Seriously, how many threads closed already...

*shakes head*

Belligerence is not working out for you tbh, so maybe its time to change the record.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 15-09-2013 at 02:33 AM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

*shakes head*

Belligerence is not working out for you tbh, so maybe its time to change the record.
    Nalano's customary belligerence was utterly absent from a number of recently closed threads, and we've yet to have an explanation as to why several of them were closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    1) I ain't your bro

2) And you really need to read the rules and realise they do apply to you. It's all very well for you to sound off ad infinitum & ad Nauseum about how terribad and reprehensible everything is from the Hivemind, the appointed mods, and whatever other grievance is bugging you about RPS this particular nanosecond, but plain truth of the matter is you're part of the problem because you're seemingly unwilling to adhere to some pretty simple site rules. If you're not prepared to toe the line, why do you expect everyone else to? You want a better forum? Then be a better role model.

*shakes head*

Hate to say it, bro, but when the Great Equivocator sees through your statements, it's time to take a different tack.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl