Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Guess thats true.
    As you said, we may need moderation. That doesn't mean we need you. When you come and say "I'll talk to Jim about this," or "we're having a discussion about this," I don't exactly remembering voting for you as my representative.

I know it's hard to give up the reigns of power, and that's why I'm concerned about this current crisis of faith in the moderation here: Even if all of you recognize your limitations in solving this issue, I don't see any of you volunteering to step aside.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Your problem is how you set yourself up as liaison with the Powers That Be when we don't need a translator.
    We do though. Because said powers that don't have the time or inclination to listen to everyone or read the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    We do though. Because said powers that don't have the time or inclination to listen to everyone or read the forums.
    Then he's setting himself up as de facto admin, which is dangerous.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    By far the best part about these discussions is that once or twice a day something in them reminds me of some happy moment or character from The Nameless Mod.
    Last edited by Berzee; 12-09-2013 at 06:21 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

When Jim says we don't need mods anymore, we can handle spam ourselves, I'm the first to grab my coat. Deleting spam is not the kind of stuff that gets me up in the morning and I really don't need your constant attempts at character assassination either.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have seens forums where moderation left back these type of hints, and I think these forums are worse because of it. Is like every time somebody dies, we let the corpse to rot and attract worms in the place he die.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    And the discussion thread about it got closed with no info. Kinda funny.

And the discussion thread about it got closed with no info. Kinda funny.
    The irony is palpable.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    As you said, we may need moderation. That doesn't mean we need you. When you come and say "I'll talk to Jim about this," or "we're having a discussion about this," I don't exactly remembering voting for you as my representative.
    You didn't. And it doesn't matter. It's not your house, and you can either shut up and agree with the management or leave. Moaning about how you don't like the ways of the management is not going to help anything or anyone, it just contributes to the toxicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    You didn't. And it doesn't matter. It's not your house, and you can either shut up and agree with the management or leave. Moaning about how you don't like the ways of the management is not going to help anything or anyone, it just contributes to the toxicity.
    Except, Grizzly, he isn't management.

If I wear a blue polo shirt and walk into Best Buy, that doesn't mean I can restock the fucking shelves.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Except, Grizzly, he isn't management.
    And the only reason he is 'sort of management' is that some people moaned about the ways of the management on the forums.

But no, Grizzly is right. Whatever we do we must not question or discuss Rock Paper Shotgun and the management in this...what's the sub-forum called again? Oh yeah

Rock, Paper, Shotgun Discussion

All Things RPS!

And the only reason he is 'sort of management' is that some people moaned about the ways of the management on the forums.
    And by "some people" we mostly mean him. Well, him and the rest of the Conclave.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    And by "some people" we mostly mean him. Well, him and the rest of the Conclave.
    The Conclave just wanted 'something'. How that something became moderators that can't do anything about problems I don't know.

And yet another thread closed without anyone being banned. I never understand that. If no-one has done anything bad enough to get banned, why would the thread be closed? The thread should only close if someone breaks the rule, if they break the rule they get a ban. Confusing.

Banned
    I think the best thing for a moderator to do is everytime some bigot complains about his freeze peach, send him a pm with a link to the Slymepit and tell him to go crazy, but keep that shit off RPS. problem solved.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Okay I'm just going to point this one thing out and give up.

Banning (permanently or temporarily) a poster sends the message that that person was misbehaving.
    Closing a thread sends the message that that topic is not to be discussed on the forums.

I'm assuming from the various threads about women in gaming being closed that this topic is now verboten. Because if it was just some posters in the thread breaking the rules, you ban those people so the rest of us could carry on with a sensible conversation about it.

So can we update the rules please?

1) Be excellent
    2) Don't talk about women or feminism

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    and I really don't need your constant attempts at character assassination either.
    So, Anthile.

You don't want my "attempts at character assassination." So why is it that you can hypocritically insult people when your role is to promote "excellence?" So Serenegoose and I can't take potshots at Hamster, but you can?

More importantly, riddle me this:

1) Why was Hamster banned but not Heliocentric, who casually dismissed the discussion of our unbalanced demographics as the ravings of "white knights?"

2) Why are all these threads being closed? Do you all honestly believe the problem will go away if you eliminate any discussion of it? Do you all truly want no discussion on the matter at all?

Do you not trust yourselves with the content of the discourse or its conclusions? Are you afraid of its effect on the status quo, and that it's too perilous a task to comprehend? Are you worried about what the discussion will uncover, and that current posters are incapable of not being bigoted? Do you actually believe that there are so many bigots that to actually cull the bigotry would result in an empty forum?

Because if so, you've already lost.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

I didn't close any of these threads, I only have moderating rights in PC Gaming and Promotion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    I didn't close any of these threads, I only have moderating rights in PC Gaming and Promotion.
    Actually if you look closely he posed that part of the post to the staff/mods in general. Only the first part was directed specifically at you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    2) Why are all these threads being closed? Do you all honestly believe the problem will go away if you eliminate any discussion of it? Do you all truly want no discussion on the matter at all?
    In terms of just making this forum nicer, it might work. But it'd be handy to know so we don't waste time on those threads.

Well, I'm a bit drunk right now so take this with a bit of salt.. I don't think Heilocentric quite understood the meaning and implication of the term "white knight". Maybe he never met a MRA nutcase or gazed into the depths of r/redpill and similar places. I wouldn't dare to say I know Heliocentric but I read many of his postings and he never struck me as one of "them".
    Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by taking potshots. Being excellent is not about not disagreeing, it's about keep discussions civil.