Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    This is kinda cool but it's virtually identical to giving someone your Steam login details, the only change being... what exactly?
    Well you won't get banned for it, and your achievements and cloud saves are stored separately. It's a convenience thing more than anything else, but that's a big deal nevertheless. Anyone can get weed with a little effort and the chance of getting in trouble for it is tiny but you can be sure consumption would go through the roof were it legalised.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    This is kinda cool but it's virtually identical to giving someone your Steam login details, the only change being... what exactly? The ability prevent the other person from changing your e-mail address or password, but not much else. Being able to lend out individual games would be spectacular, akin to borrowing a disc from a friend, but yeah, there's no way doing that won't be immediately and completely exploited. For now, this is a good first step.
    Agreed that it's a good first step, but not that the alternative is exploitable. There are easy ways to, with a robust DRM platform, make exploiting the system a difficult enough gesture that it never seems more appealing than conventional piracy. That said ... how does this work for Steam games that do not technically have any DRM? Does the client still kick you out of the game even though with a minor change of shortcut commands you can play such games without Steam authentication?
    Last edited by gwathdring; 11-09-2013 at 09:07 PM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Well you won't get banned for it, and your achievements and cloud saves are stored separately. It's a convenience thing more than anything else, but that's a big deal nevertheless. Anyone can get weed with a little effort and the chance of getting in trouble for it is tiny but you can be sure consumption would go through the roof were it legalised.
    My home country's cannabis consumption per capita says otherwise, but that's beside the point. My dad and I share the same account. I even brought this up with Steam support and they had no problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    How could it be exploited? Microsoft felt ok with offering this. Its a great feature that hopefully comes in the future. Its not like 1 account can share the 1 game to 50 other Steam users. Limit up to 5 devices, and limit how often authorized devices can be changed.

So a pool of 5 friends share a pool of games...like you could in the past with PC games and can already with console/handhelds.
    Well, let's say that in the future, every account can lend out a single game to another Steam user, during which the owner can't play it, with a limit of 10 borrowers at a time. If I wanted to play Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, for example, it would be trivial to find someone who owns the game and lets me borrow it for a few days. After that, they can revoke my borrowing privilege and lend it to someone else. No doubt that the steamtrades/steamgifts network would jump at the opportunity to create a forum to manage that. They would have to implement some really strict limitations if they want to keep everyone from just playing everyone else's games instead of buying their own.

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Agreed that it's a good first step, but not that the alternative is exploitable. There are easy ways to, with a robust DRM platform, make exploiting the system a difficult enough gesture that it never seems more appealing than conventional piracy. That said ... how does this work for Steam games that do not technically have any DRM? Does the client still kick you out of the game even though with a minor change of shortcut commands you can play such games without Steam authentication?
    Good question. I hadn't thought of that. Since some games indeed do not rely on Steam at all for DRM, you could simply install it from another account and never log in again. But that's equivalent to piracy, and you can do that anyway if you log onto someone else's account with your usual username and password.

I think the list of DRM-free games on Steam is about to get a lot more publicised.
    Last edited by LTK; 11-09-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Eh, this is worthless to me. If my girlfriend wants to play any of my games, she just logs into my account and plays them, which theoretically locks my steam library away from me for the duration. This is exactly the same. It's only really 'sharing' like game or DVD or book sharing is if you habitually give your entire book collection to someone every time something takes their fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Eh, this is worthless to me. If my girlfriend wants to play any of my games, she just logs into my account and plays them, which theoretically locks my steam library away from me for the duration. This is exactly the same. It's only really 'sharing' like game or DVD or book sharing is if you habitually give your entire book collection to someone every time something takes their fancy.
    Yeah ... but hopefully they'll expand it in the future. I see this as none too useful for me personally but plenty useful as a foot in the door for the services I REALLY want.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Eh, this is worthless to me. If my girlfriend wants to play any of my games, she just logs into my account and plays them, which theoretically locks my steam library away from me for the duration.
    Well you get your own achievements, your own cloud saves, and don't have to log out and in again. It saves mild inconvenience, which I'm all for.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Not possible for two people play different games at the same time? Achievements and saves is cool and all, but otherwise it is pointless.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    So practically, it's near pointless. Though symbolically it's a step in the right direction and gets our foot in the door.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    It's not pointless. It allows the sharing of games without the sharing of account credentials, which is good. It also means I could allow someone else to play my games while I'm still logged into Steam for the social features. Would be nice if it worked on individual games rather than the whole library, but I'm still often sitting at my PC using Steam for the chat without playing Steam games.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Well, let's say that in the future, every account can lend out a single game to another Steam user, during which the owner can't play it, with a limit of 10 borrowers at a time. If I wanted to play Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, for example, it would be trivial to find someone who owns the game and lets me borrow it for a few days.
    That sounds like hassle. In most cases, simply torrenting it would be preferable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Well, let's say that in the future, every account can lend out a single game to another Steam user, during which the owner can't play it, with a limit of 10 borrowers at a time. If I wanted to play Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, for example, it would be trivial to find someone who owns the game and lets me borrow it for a few days. After that, they can revoke my borrowing privilege and lend it to someone else. No doubt that the steamtrades/steamgifts network would jump at the opportunity to create a forum to manage that. They would have to implement some really strict limitations if they want to keep everyone from just playing everyone else's games instead of buying their own.
    That's already accounted for, you must define the 10 "close-friends" right away. I bet you can't change them willy nilly. Surely you can create a new account and buy another copy, so win-win for Valve.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Here's the thing though. You're not meant to share your account and you can potential be ban hammered by steam for doing so. And Steam aren't the most listening when it comes to reversing bans. With this, not only are you not locked out of your account while your SO plays one of your games, but you don't risk the wraith of Gaben.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    It's a cool idea, but more useful for casual players Vs hardcore types as we're rarely off our machines.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 12-09-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

but you don't risk the wraith of Gaben.
    I put rock salt around all the thresholds before I share account details, so I'm not worried. I've got a Meteoric Iron sword and a Rowan-wood staff on hand just in case he gets inquisitive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    I put rock salt around all the thresholds before I share account details, so I'm not worried. I've got a Meteoric Iron sword and a Rowan-wood staff on hand just in case he gets inquisitive.
    None of those can penetrate his vast layers of adipose tissue. Beware, he's watching you.

On topic - Yay, I guess, but it's remarkably restrictive. I don't see why I shouldn't be able to lend games that I don't have installed to someone to try out. That'd be much more useful as opposed to what they're proposing. Right now it's just a sanctioned way to do what everyone's already doing.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    It's a cool idea, but more useful for casual players Vs hardcore types as we're rarely off out machines.
    That's the confusing bit for me. I would have thought you'd have to be logged in and on your machine for the sharing to work, otherwise you could just set yourself to offline mode if someone else is playing something and you want in.

I'm also confused if swapsies will work. Sure, I can't play my library if someone else is using it, but if they are sharing their library with me, can I play that? After all, that library isn't in use. That's potentially very useful/exploitable, especially when two big releases come out at once, you and a mate buy one each, swap over when you're done.

Or chaining it, so I'm A and playing B's library, B is playing C's library, C is playing D's and D is playing A's?

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I'm also confused if swapsies will work. Sure, I can't play my library if someone else is using it, but if they are sharing their library with me, can I play that? After all, that library isn't in use. That's potentially very useful/exploitable, especially when two big releases come out at once, you and a mate buy one each, swap over when you're done.
    Interesting point deano.

I think the idea is great in terms of getting a friend into a game you like that either lacks a demo etc, but I must admit I'm concerned about impact, especially on shorter titles. Ironically a lot of indie titles might be undone by this.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Interesting point deano.

I think the idea is great in terms of getting a friend into a game you like that either lacks a demo etc, but I must admit I'm concerned about impact, especially on shorter titles. Ironically a lot of indie titles might be undone by this.
    Maybe. I think they would have been better off making it just as restrictive, but in a different way--fewer family members, fewer games at a time, but you can play other games in your library while you're lending a sub-set.

You could also make the system more robust, allowing developers to opt in to various limitations--making it time sensitive, or preventing sharing altogether.

I'm not sure this sort of thing would hurt indie devs in the long run though. It's the most expensive and least replayable games that will take a hit--some shorter indies might strike high in the second category, but they might also get away with less discounting if people can essentially purchase games as a group of five or so people.

Having a mutual family system can also help prevent excessive abuse--if I can only have five people in my group and we all have to go in as a group of five together with no outside chaining ... well, you're not cutting your customer block all that much. Consider, too, how many people will actually use this with close friends and family without any intent to abuse it in either spirit or letter.

Yeah I must admit ten people seems completely excessive. I'd of thought five would be sufficient and cover 99.9% of people. Personally I could perhaps see me sharing titles with 2 - 3 people I know, but not much beyond that.

Also I'm looking at titles like Limbo or Brothers for instance. These are not long games. If you 'lent' a friend your copy, there's probably little if any incentive for them to buy them afterwards. The bigger titles generally have a lot more mileage that a 'loan' might not cover.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 12-09-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Probable Replicant

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I want a way to LAN games with my family by purchasing them only once. Any idea if that is an intended use of this? It's probably only going to allow you to play a game on one account at a time, huh? So for me this is already possible since we can just log into the same account on different machines. Not at the same time, but why would we need to do that if we can't play together anyway?