Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Dell's Privatization Plan Has Finally Been Approved

So the plan, after a long period of debate, has been finalized. Dell will once again be Mr. Michael Dell's own business.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/del...ist=lcountdown

I am quite a fanboy of Dell. Not that like iFanboy to Apple, but I am using my second desktop from Dell, with my 1st one now operated by my Dad, and now I just bought a 17" notebook from Dell, too. (man, I regret so much buy a notebook that large. Trust me, dont buy a notebook that large if you want mobility, a 17" is too damn large and heavy, and is therefore only good as a desktop replacement, and what I want is a notebook for mobility). QC is not exactly that reliable but Dell products are after all protected by somewhat solid warranty services. My current desktop requires me to resit the rams every few months, it's an old XPS with known motherboard design flaw. Other than that, I am generally satisfied. I mean, IBM PC is long gone, so I guess this is the best we can ask for. Once major update of PC tech is out (waiting for new gen of GPU and DDR4 ram), I still plan to buy from Dell.

For your info, my Dells are all made in China. I don't know about Dell in Europe. As I know, for Americans, Dells there are mainly made in Mexica. So how's the quality in your place if you use Dell?

Dell really isnt known for its innovative capabability though. I cannot really name one IT concept invented by it. However, it is very solid in its main business.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    For your info, my Dells are all made in China. I don't know about Dell in Europe. As I know, for Americans, Dells there are mainly made in Mexica. So how's the quality in your place if you use Dell?
    Depends on the subcontractor, like all companies that rebrand shit. Dell advertises that all its PCs in America are American-made, but what they mean is American-assembled. They're made in Taiwan and Malaysia.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Depends on the subcontractor, like all companies that rebrand shit. Dell advertises that all its PCs in America are American-made, but what they mean is American-assembled. They're made in Taiwan and Malaysia.
    For gamers, I guess at least CPUs like i7 have to be made in USA :P

For gamers, I guess at least CPUs like i7 have to be made in USA :P
    Except for the ones made in Ireland and Israel.
    Last edited by Nalano; 13-09-2013 at 03:02 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Oh, yeah, I forgot. i7 was developed in Israel.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    They're not making any in Ireland AFAIK. Their 22nm fabs are in Oregon, Arizona, and Israel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    They're not making any in Ireland AFAIK. Their 22nm fabs are in Oregon, Arizona, and Israel.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/179071/ma...this-year.html
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    We have mostly Dell desktops here and seem to be little problems with them.

Dell Ultrasharp monitors are always recommended. They had the best CRT with their trinitrons (Sony monitors). Wish my did not break when being shipped in a move.

They had their one bad period where they had faulty components and tried to hide it.

Few dell employees I know feel optimistic with the buyout. Better than Icahn buying and dumping the company.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    You can't buy a 14nm Core i7.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    You can't buy a 14nm Core i7.
    They rotate their fabs around by a generation on generation basis. They've been outfitting one of their fabs here for the last few years. When they go to a new production, they do it in a newly outfitted fab, then they'll rotate the oldest fab out and refit that.

It's like crop rotation but for processors.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Dell really isnt known for its innovative capabability though. I cannot really name one IT concept invented by it. However, it is very solid in its main business.
    You are right there. I love 'em. Work horses. Go for years. Have this massive 17' behemoth. Two out phone jacks, SD card, DVD, massive battery, loads of other crap i don't use, but for some reason felt i needed.

I love it. Its is a beast it does most things i throw at it. It plays most game.

Hopefully we'll see Dell continue.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I have a dell laptop and the battery died exactly one week after the 1 year warranty expired, which sucks. I never buy premade desktops, though, I've always just built my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    I have a dell laptop and the battery died exactly one week after the 1 year warranty expired, which sucks.
    I still remember that few years ago we were brought to attention to safety of notebook batteries with some notable Dell batteries burning issues. Turned out it was the largest supplier of the world's notebook batteries, Sony, who was at fault.

I guess you can try to ask if Dell is willing to cover it as well. My elder brother's PowerPC iMac was somewhat faulty few days after the end of the 3-year warranty, seemed something to do with its DVD drive. He asked nicely to the Mac's Hong Kong distributor (I don't think Mac has distributor in China, at least not back then), and Hong Kong Apple approved the maintenance work.

Computer is just like other electrical appliance. Longevity is depending mainly on luck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    I have a dell laptop and the battery died exactly one week after the 1 year warranty expired, which sucks. I never buy premade desktops, though, I've always just built my own.
    I had a similar experience with Acer. My laptop broke 3 times during its 1 year warranty, and I sent it off 3 times. My warranty ran out during the third repair, and when it was sent back they'd damaged the optical drive, keyboard and motherboard, and refused to fix it due to lack of warranty. I've just not bought laptops since, and with Dell specifically I'm still distrusting of their quality of USB ports since they had an issue with them a decade ago. Apparently I'm quite good at holding grudges.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus