Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Graphics Card 2013: Which One?

Heyho,

I currently have an ATI 6870. (I forgot which brand, probably MSI), and I might be looking into getting one that can do all the physX stuff without any huge framerate drops. Currently, I lose about 40fps-50fps when I turn it on, and it would be grand if I could just pump it all up. However, around 200€ is the most Im willing to spend. Preferably way less, since I got this card for about 150 a year ago.

Oh and preferably ATI, because I dont like the nvidia offerings. Simply a matter of taste.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    PhysX is a proprietary Nvidia feature.

that doesnt mean anything, since Im able to turn on the feature now ony my ATI.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    that doesnt mean anything, since Im able to turn on the feature now ony my ATI.
    It does mean something because the reason you drop 50 frame rates is because it's not a Nvidia card enabled with PhysX. You can turn PhysX options on in any game that is enabled for it like Borderlands 2 or Planetside 2, but if your card isn't Nvidia, expect strange results. The games don't seem to bother to check if your card is PhysX capable or not.

Strange that you say you don't like Nvidias offerings, yet you want a card thats enabled for Nvidias technology.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

As I understand it, when you turn on PhysX with an ATI card present in the system all the PhysX computation will be run on your CPU rather than your GPU. Hence the crash in frame rate. If you're dead against nvidia as a GPU provider there have been reports of running a dedicated PhysX card (nvidia) in the presence of an ATI card but it is not officially supported by nvidia or amd. i.e. You could pick up a cheap nvidia card and try running it in tandem with your current ati.

If do decide to go for an nvidia card the 670 series is currently going for less money than usual as it is being replaced by the newer 7xx series and is relatively pokey. It may not be 100% helpful but this is the price they are going for in the UK. Hopefully you could find something similar more local to you.

Hope this helps and I'm ready to be corrected.

well my thinking is thusly: physx makes teh gaem purrdier, so I must have physx. I dont have space for a second card, Im using my shuttle case.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Well then if you want physx to make the games look better and you want it to run smoothly, you'll most likely need a Nvidia card.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

As others have said - if you want PhysX then you need to be looking at an NVidia card.
    I championed ATI for years, but since moving to my NVidia card I'm much happier. Bang for buck it's not as good, but for CUDA and drivers I'm willing to accept it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I just bought a 7970 from Newegg yesterday. It had $75 instant savings, a $20 rebate card, and 3 free games. I think it will cost me around $300 all told. I'm pretty happy with it.

But yes, to echo what others have said, if you want PhysX, you need Nvidia.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Know this however - PhysX, from what I know, will nonetheless have negative impact on performance, simply due to additional computations GPU has to do. With that said, I am unsure whether You will be able to get sub 200 euros card that will both be able to do PhysX and have decent performance, especially if You play on "higher" resolutions and more demanding games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    7870 or 7970 if looking to stay with AMD. I prefer Asus cards and have had no problem with them and they have some overlocking legwork beyond the standard overclock they already have on it.

And if power costs are low AMD cards can idle Bitcoin/Litecoin mine for you, if ever decide to get into that.

well I generally play on 1920x1080. nothing above.

also no bitcoin kthx.

but Ill keep it in mind.

so the 78xx are still above 150 euros?
    - Tom De Roeck.

The 7850 does duck under 150€ in Germany. The 7870 goes for a little less than 200€. It seems like AMDs price cuts haven't reached Germany yet. But that's more noticeable for the 7950 anyway. In the US, the 7950 is hovering around $200, which is pretty spectacular value. Especially combined with the Never Settle Forever game bundle... which also isn't available in Europe.

Yes, it sucks to be on the wrong continent. But at least it's not as wrong as Australia.

actually, austria tends to get cheap tech, not quite sure why but itd always on the edge pricewise.
    - Tom De Roeck.

You still don't have the Never Settle Forever bundle yet. And probably not the price cut either. Might be worth waiting a week or two to see if the 7950 gets substantially cheaper.

Obscure Node
    AMD dual-GPU Radeon HD 7990 is the best Graphics card in 2013.

really now? Hmmm..

ah damn, that one wont fit in my current PC. Ive only got a shuttle case that barely fits a double slotted PCI-e card. (it was fun building it though)
    - Tom De Roeck.

Activated Node
    Aye, PhysX only works on NVIDIA cards. It isn't that AMD's can't do GPU physics calculations, it's that anything that specifically states 'PhysX' in the options menu is using proprietary NVIDIA tech, locked to their cards only. Enabling it with an AMD card will, as mentioned, send all the calculations to your CPU. I don't recommend trying a hybrid PhysX system either, it's apparently a royal pain.

So if it is really PhysX you want you don't have much choice. Right now's also the worst time to buy anything as we're right at the very, very end of a cycle; AMD's new fabrications are slated to start appearing later this month or next, and NVIDIA's latest offerings should start appearing at the beginning of next year.

to be fair, Im just playing Blacklist (even though I hate Clancy anything, its actually quite enjoyable) with all the bells and whistles turned on, so I think what I want is just more of beautiful bells and whistles. Is there anything else to go for except PhysX anyway?
    - Tom De Roeck.

Activated Node
    The only two games I played recently (as far as I can remember) that were PhysX enabled were Arkham City and Planetside 2. The only difference I actually noticed between having it on or off in either game was that the elevators in PS2 are a bit more fancy. That was it.

So no, probably not. And even that isn't really worth it.