Network Hub

YA New Build Thread - Quietish

You know the drill, any help would greatly be appreciated - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1DeYv
    I have tried to read around the other threads on here, on this subject. I would like it be rather quiet, and it's been provoked by my 2009 MacBook Pro not being able to really cope in the slightest with Arma 3.

I've gone for the S-version of the processor on the basis that 1) I can't be doing with overclocking it and 2) that games still mostly don't care beyond the first two cores, 3) it'll be cooler, quieter (when it's not doing much at least) and a little cheaper surprisingly.

The RAM (and motherboard) is DDR3-2133 (rather than just 1600) which is probably pointless, but isn't much more expensive and I can't be bothered to change it for the sake of at the very most 10.

I've gone for the power supply and case to try to make it a little more tolerable to deal with the innards of - which I know is a very rare occurrence but anything which makes it less of a pain seems a good plan. And the case is tolerable aesthetically.

I've gone for the Radeon 7850 partly out of sentimentality, given I'm buying an Intel CPU. I suppose I lose decent PhysX support.

I've tried to ensure there's a degree of upgradablity about it - CrossFire is viable and by going for LGA1150, I'd hope that it could accept at least one more generation of Intel CPUs.

At 800 it's a little bit more expensive that I would have hoped.

Any suggestions? I'd love to know if I'm being a fool about anything.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    The first two reasons for picking an S-version of the CPU don't really make sense. The third one, well it really is not an issue in an ATX case with a good CPU cooler. Which, by the way, the one you picked is definitely not. It is in fact noisier than the stock cooler. The S and T versions are really meant for smaller form factors.

Now, since you're not overclocking, you can also pick a cheaper motherboard, since the Z87 chipset isn't necessary. Unless you want proper support for Crossfire/SLI, but then you'd have to pick a more expensive Z87 board. That one only offers an inferior x16/x4 configuration.

The 180 GB SSD looks like a poor deal when you can get a 256 GB SSD for ~20 more. And WD Green is kinda crappy. A Seagate Barracuda costs about the same, or a WD Blue just a little more.

Overall, this is what I'd suggest instead:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (143.46 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: ASRock H87 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (67.95 @ Dabs)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (53.49 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (125.00 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (46.85 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (126.17 @ Dabs)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (69.90 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: OCZ ZT 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply (62.94 @ Amazon UK)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (12.98 @ Novatech)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (69.85 @ Aria PC)
    Keyboard: Gigabyte KM7580 Wireless Slim Keyboard w/Optical Mouse (17.09 @ Ebuyer)
    Total: 795.68
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-13 18:56 BST+0100)

Network Hub
    They weren't really reasons for picking the S version, as I suppose justifications for not picking the not-S version. I'm still tempted by the lower power consumption.

Good calls on the cooler and the storage. Thank you.

I'll have to have a think about the motherboard, and whether I do want to both planning towards CrossFire or not. Again, thank you, I hadn't even been aware of that sort of bandwidth issue.
    Last edited by Zetetic; 13-09-2013 at 07:15 PM.