Need to build a new computer for a friend

Hi guys,

I need to build a new computer for a friend. Her PC Died last night and she wants something new. I am looking at a 500€ new computer. I am pretty sure I can salvage the DVD writer and the Ethernet card.

She's a light gamer, and a programmer.

tower=
    ATX 600W Black Midi Tower [PRO-925B-600W] LC-POWER

MB=B85-PLUS [90MB0EG0-M0EAY0] ASUS
    LGA 1150 Chipset Intelฎ B85 / 1x PCI express 16x / 1x PCI express 4x (VGA/DVI)

CPU=
    Core i5-4430 3.0GHz 4C 4T 6MB [BX80646I54430] INTEL
    RAM=

DDR3 1333MHz 4GB PC3-10600 CL9 [KVR1333D3N9/4G] KINGSTON X2

Hard Drive=
    SATA 500GB 7200rpm 16MB Caviar Blue
    WD5000AAKX] WESTERN DIGITAL

Graphics=
    AMD RADEON HD7770
    1GB GDDR5 (2x DVI, HDMI, DP) OC VAPOR-X GHz [11201-05-20G] SAPPHIRE

With this I am already a bit over budget.... nearly 600€

Prices are high here.

Any tips ?

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    I'd recommend more than 4gb of RAM, personally. I'm a developer and currently my laptop is using 4.02gb of RAM with just an IDE open, a Java application running and Microsoft Word (some other background stuff too obviously).

Depending on the age of her old desktop you might have issues reusing the DVD drive. When I tried to do the same I found my old drive was ATA only when I needed SATA.

I tend to worry about cheap case/PSU combinations and would be more inclined to buy seperately.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    A PSU from LC-Power typically has extra functionality in the smoke-releasing and spark-generating areas, but is inferior in the letting-components-survive department.

I would suggest getting an AMD build. Can go a bit cheaper on the CPU and motherboard, to make room for less 'splodey PSU and perhaps more and faster RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    A PSU from LC-Power typically has extra functionality in the smoke-releasing and spark-generating areas, but is inferior in the letting-components-survive department.

I would suggest getting an AMD build. Can go a bit cheaper on the CPU and motherboard, to make room for less 'splodey PSU and perhaps more and faster RAM.
    Hum, I think I'll avoid those extra features in favor of more basic functions then :P (Even more over budget then )

As for the RAM. I was also going for 8gb. 2X4gb. I don't know anything about progamming but 4gb seemed a bit weak.

As for an AMD Build, she doesn't want one, she specified she wanted a Intel CPU.
    Last edited by Drayk; 13-09-2013 at 02:28 PM.

*Mostly* harmless

A budget system, some 400 euro. Stick in a 120 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (90 euro) and you're done. You can probably drop the hard drive and use the one from the old PC if it's still good, and use the saved money to get more RAM.

If she desperately wants Intel, she has to be prepared to lay down some more money. On a price/performance standpoint, at this budget you're usually better off with AMD.

The Athlon x4 750K is kinda low-end though.

You could get a Core i3 if it must be Intel, though it's quite a downgrade from a Core i5.

On this tight of a budget, postpone the SSD. It's a great upgrade, but it's one she can add later on as funds become available.

The Athlon is low end, but sub-500 euro and gaming capable (discrete videocard) kinda requires it. You can do programming on pretty much anything, and since it's a quad core it'll compile fast anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    The Athlon is low end, but sub-500 euro and gaming capable (discrete videocard) kinda requires it.
    Nope. A Core i3 and a 7850 is certainly possible for less than 500€. You could also go for some of AMDs better CPUs, like the FX-6300.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Nope. A Core i3 and a 7850 is certainly possible for less than 500€. You could also go for some of AMDs better CPUs, like the FX-6300.
    The equivalent i3 is 35 euros more expensive here. I'd rather take the Athlon and put the rest of the money towards an SSD.

FX-6300 is pretty good though, being a 6core and the same price as the i3 3240 (which is slower overall).

Ok we manage to save the beast... turns out the PSU was dead. here's the new one.
    ATX 500W CoreXStream, 80% efficiency [OCZ-CSX500W-EU] OCZ

I have the specs of her old computer=
    2X 2Go Ram.
    GeForce 9600 GT
    Intel Quad Core Q8200 (2.33Ghz)
    So I can salvage the box and the HD. Gives us more room for improvement.

*Mostly* harmless