Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    This is not one of those circumstances. White knight is exclusively men who don't sign up to the MRA alpha male pick up artist bullshit. What a terrible thing to be.
    Hmm. I always thought a White Knight was a man who did all that with his primary motivation being to get girls into bed, rather than actively believing in it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I assumed white knights who leapt to protect women who didn't want/ask for it.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Hmm. I always thought a White Knight was a man who did all that with his primary motivation being to get girls into bed, rather than actively believing in it?
    That's what it's disguised as, since the people who say it usually have no insight whatsoever into the other persons motivations and are just smearing shit to try and make some stick, or genuinely cannot comprehend a worldview in which men don't see women as objects to be chased and fucked.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I assumed white knights who leapt to protect women who didn't want/ask for it.
    I have never in my entire life met a woman who's called a man a white knight and meant it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That's what it's disguised as, since the people who say it usually have no insight whatsoever into the other persons motivations and are just smearing shit to try and make some stick, or genuinely cannot comprehend a worldview in which men don't see women as objects to be chased and fucked.
    True, though a lot of time a woman won't know the difference either. It's less common in the 'real world' but at conventions with the whole 'booth babe' thing, I've seen the models that they're happy to pose for photos and accept that being gawped at is part of the job, but the creepiest guys are the ones that 'be nice' and act like they're above all that, as most of the time if they're on their own they're trying to chat her up.

I think the phrase has pretty much changed meaning now though, which is a shame as I think having a word for that behaviour was quite useful.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Women don't need it explained to them dis-embodied torsos and boob armour are sexist. They're already quite aware.
    I'd take a guess that Women probably have as diverse a collection of opinions on that subject as Men do, going by the general principle that if you ask a large group of anyone about anything you will get a wide range of answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose
    I have never in my entire life met a woman who's called a man a white knight and meant it.
    I have to say I'm not sure I've ever met anyone in meatspace who's said "white knight" outside of a chess club.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    True, though a lot of time a woman won't know the difference either. It's less common in the 'real world' but at conventions with the whole 'booth babe' thing, I've seen the models that they're happy to pose for photos and accept that being gawped at is part of the job, but the creepiest guys are the ones that 'be nice' and act like they're above all that, as most of the time if they're on their own they're trying to chat her up.

I think the phrase has pretty much changed meaning now though, which is a shame as I think having a word for that behaviour was quite useful.

Nice Guy is a useful title for people like that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Nice Guy is a useful title for people like that.
    I don't like that either though as being a nice person is a good thing. The "Nice Guy" meme is actually the "Boring Guy" meme. Being nice is great and something that girls do find attractive, but if it's the only thing you have going for you then you won't get anywhere.

The whole Nice Guy thing seems to suggest the solution is to stop being so nice, rather than to stop being so boring.

Plus I see a 'White Knight' as more confident and proactive. The 'nice guy' expects a reward for driving a drunk girl home and not raping her. The 'white knight' actually intervenes and gets rid of a creep or confronts someone harassing her, then expects a reward. And he probably does deserves a reward. But then he gets upset when the reward is that she buys him lunch, rather than fucks him.
    Last edited by deano2099; 14-09-2013 at 05:11 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Now that we've spent a page arguing over the term "white knight," can we get back to fixing this fucking forum?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Now that we've spent a page arguing over the term "white knight," can we get back to fixing this fucking forum?
    Make it the sort of place Hamster and moho and people like them don't want to spend their time. By either banning them or coming down on them like a ton of bricks every time they spout their regressive, victorian, sexist, kinda homophobic bullshit. Without removing people like that fixing the problem is impossible because they are the problem. Not metaphorically, not figuratively, it's literally just guys like that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Make it the sort of place Hamster and moho and people like them don't want to spend their time. By either banning them or coming down on them like a ton of bricks every time they spout their regressive, victorian, sexist, kinda homophobic bullshit. Without removing people like that fixing the problem is impossible because they are the problem. Not metaphorically, not figuratively, it's literally just guys like that.
    It's guys like that and guys who tolerate guys like that, for the latter are who are creating the environment conducive to guys like that.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen