Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Oooh. New Blog Layout?

Doesn't quite work on my old work browser. (But that's very old, so not realy surprising.)
    I want to go home and check it out on a modern browser... though actually I use RPS 99% on my phone or work pc.

The version I can see looks reasonably modern and functional, if a little dull. But I may be missing half the picture.

Network Hub
    I thought it looks a bit ugly actually. Dull and a bit too... blocky? I don't know. It feels like there should be some kind of divide, border or something, between the articles and the "News and things", feature list etc. down the right hand side.

Edit: Also, it didn't fit with the background advert earlier. Though I guess the absence of ads now means someone noticed that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Definitely needs some padding down the left so the text isn't right up against the monitor border...

Yeah, it seems to be suffering from the Youtube syndrome where everything is positioned too heavily on the left side. Other than that, it looks a bit odd but I guess it's just that I'm not used to it yet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    On my desktop it looks quite nice, I'd say yeah a buffer between text and left hand side would be grand. However, on my laptop it looks like it's not loading properly and it's kinda smushed onto the left.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Definitely needs some padding down the left so the text isn't right up against the monitor border...
    On my work browser the text box is right up against the left side, but the text is padded in about 2 characters width.

I also thought it looked a bit heavily weighted to the left... but as it's on an old browser and there are no ads/backgrounds I dont' know if that's how it's supposed to look or not.

Right now, with no background or ads, it looks very empty. No real personality or branding of any kind. (but then RPS never really had any to begin with). They really need some kind of logo or something.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Ack. I don't like it. It's too far to the left and the right-hand stuff is a little too ... floaty and infiltrates the main column too much. I really like zooming in so I can kick-back further away from my screen while I read, and past iterations have taken much more kindly to zooming that this one does.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

I don't like it either. Doing away with the divide between columns and placing everything left of centre leaves too much of a void on the right. Youtube did that and I dislike it there too. I'm running my desktop at 1920x1080 and it would be nice to make use of all of that space. I'll bet it looks good "on the go" as I imagine everything fits well on screen but I also see it as favouring mobile users over desktop users.

The category header thingy seems to be cut off if it doesn't fit the screen, meaning I can't click on forums-link without my browser being in full-screen mode.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Ack. I don't like it. It's too far to the left and the right-hand stuff is a little too ... floaty and infiltrates the main column too much.
    My thoughts too. No sir, I don't like it. But I just assumed it was broken... I'm hoping it's broken.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Network Hub
    they changed it now it sucks

Obscure Node
    Not a fan of the gradient on everything either, it creates odd looking blocks none of which align.

Oooh, I liked seeing the blog in the centre of my screen. Not such a fan now it's all offset to the left.

Obscure Node
    I've always been a believer of the fact that whoever decided that forced blank space should be sent for a better life to a farm in the country side. My monitor is 1920x1080. A lot of people have monitors that are 1920x1080. This is not a new thing. Why is it that so much horizontal space is wasted? And for what gain? It'd be a helluvalot more tolerable if the blank space scaled proportionally, instead of just growing larger and more gaping as the window size increases.

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    The version I can see looks reasonably modern and functional, if a little dull.
    Pretty much this. One vote for adding a bit space between the main column and the right one, too.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Activated Node
    Oh I just thought I had too much coffee... but anyways it is indeed not centered and a bit to the left (a bit like RPS on the whole, some might say).

Also it's too ... errr ....uni ...errr... it's just one slab instead of different chunks, feels awkward. My brain needs separation between the main and the side bits!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I too thought it was broken. A lot of the sections just run into each other. The three feature image boxes are too close to the headline of the first article, News and things, Respond to our gibber and Read our finest words all just meld and Read our finest words and the second article both have a grey header that's out of alignment with each other.

Also not sure sure they've aligned the whole thing to the left. First I thought it must be for tablets, then I realized even that doesn't make sense.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    My thoughts too. No sir, I don't like it. But I just assumed it was broken... I'm hoping it's broken.
    It's probably broken, it uses space too poorly to be the intended design. That or the designer is not very good at designing.

I think (hope) it probably is broken, slightly. I can kind of see what they're aiming at, and I think it could be a good change, with a smart new navigation bar up at the top. But it's not quite there yet...
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Too far to the left and a bit too "blocky", in my opinion. Some more space between the various entries would make it a whole lot better.