Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschneidersr View Post
    I do like the new layout, especially the gradients!

In the meantime, a few minor CSS tweaks with a 'custom CSS'-plugin (like Stylish) help a lot to make it look okay-ish.
    For your convenience, CSS can be found here: http://pastebin.com/bR0z68uC
    Should work for any resolution above 1280*x.

Cheers

PS: Finally a reason to register! ;)
    Oooh. Cool. I might try this if they don't "fix" it soon. Thanks. :)
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

I prefer things to be center justified, everything is too far left now.

I do like the new layout, especially the gradients!

In the meantime, a few minor CSS tweaks with a 'custom CSS'-plugin (like Stylish) help a lot to make it look okay-ish.
    For your convenience, CSS can be found here: http://pastebin.com/bR0z68uC
    Should work for any resolution above 1280*x.

Cheers

PS: Finally a reason to register! ;)
    This custom style doesn't see to do anything for me but change very top of the page, the blog posts are still left aligned.

I'd rather it be center-justified, too.

Posts need more vertical differentiation from each other and the sidebar should be popped out because the white background melts into the posts outside of their gradient headers.
    Is not a leg.
    Frobnitz Ichor Liquor purveyors don't need compasses to tell which way the moon sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Ghost View Post
    This custom style doesn't see to do anything for me but change very top of the page, the blog posts are still left aligned.
    Not sure about this. I applied it to all 'URLs on the domain' rockpapershotgun.com – does do the trick for me.
    Hopefully, the "problem" will resolve itself - once the procedurally learning and self-improving chaos magic ritual featuring teleconferencing that is RPS has gathered and processed enough data from the hivemind.

Obscure Node
    Everything is supposed to be smushed over to the left? Thought it was one of my plugins screwing thing up. Don't make me move my head a bit to read like some sort of medieval peasant RPS. No other entertainment blog inflicts such indignities upon my person.

The forum is perfect, I can sit here glassy eyed like a moo cow just reading/scrolling. Use that format please.

Activated Node
    Unfortunately the site header breaks if the window size is narrower than the header width; the rest of the header is cut off when you scroll to the right:

http://i.imgur.com/P7MysgW.jpg

The same goes for viewing it on an iPad in portrait; zooming out doesn't reveal any more of the header:

http://i.imgur.com/Omnk7Ru.jpg

It's being caused by the "overflow: hidden;" within #header. Changing it to "overflow: visible;" (or removing it altogether, same thing really) would be ace, cheers!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Having checked it out at home, I have to say i'm still not a huge fan.
    It works a little better on a more modern setup, but still doesn't look right.

Looks like it was designed by a coder, not a designer. (as a (crappy) coder who tries to do design, i can sympathise.)

The main problem is the background gradients, particularly with respect to the sidebar. Moving site elements together to make a more unified and modern layout is probably a good idea, but I'm not sure that doing it just by tweaking existing stylesheets and with existing assets is the best way to go. Would probably have been better to redesign from scratch.

the gradients don't work in a layout where elements are nestled right up to each other. They clash on the side edges where they meet. I'd recommend removing the background gradients entirely, or at the very least removing them from the sidebar.

It seems some basic effort has gone into responsive design... the sidebar drops to the bottom on narrow screen widths. The top red menu also becomes a natty drop down menu. (though I think it would be better to just make the whole red menu flexible width and responsive. )

IMHO it actually looks better at lower widths because the sidebar drops away, and the gradients don't look broken when they are full width.

That said, the responsive design breakpoint is wrong. It swaps at a width that isn't related to the site design, so at medium widths the sidebar is half off the screen. My first attempt at responsive design made the same mistake... designing for standard widths rather than for the content on screen.
    So, bravo on going a little responsive, but there is so much more that could have been done. (though I assume the design is limited by the need to keep a fixed width for the background ads - something I've luckily never had to deal with. ).

Some small tweaks seem to be happening from time to time, so hopefully it'll improve over time. But I think not going for a full makeover was a mistake. Also, going for lots of gradients (on backgrounds and the top menu) seems a little odd when flat design is all the range.

And RPS really really needs a logo!

I like it.

*hides from the sticks and stones*

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    I like it.

*hides from the sticks and stones*
    It's not bad; the information is presented clearly. It's just aesthetically graceless.
    Is not a leg.
    Frobnitz Ichor Liquor purveyors don't need compasses to tell which way the moon sounds.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    The Top Comments box (which I still don't understand the idea behind) is rather harsh on the eyes (or on mine, anyway).

Not sure about this. I applied it to all 'URLs on the domain' rockpapershotgun.com – does do the trick for me.
    Hopefully, the "problem" will resolve itself - once the procedurally learning and self-improving chaos magic ritual featuring teleconferencing that is RPS has gathered and processed enough data from the hivemind.
    I finally figured out how to just simply shift everything to the right with Stylish.

Code:
    @namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("rockpapershotgun.com") {
    html {
    overflow: -moz-scrollbars-vertical;
    overflow-x: hidden;
    overflow-y: scroll;
    }

body, #page-wrapper {
        width: 120%;
    }

}
    EDIT: Added a way to hide the horizontal scrollbar. Hopefully they'll tweak this new layout soon.
    Last edited by Grey_Ghost; 17-09-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Ghost View Post
    I finally figured out how to just simply shift everything to the right with Stylish.

Code:
    @namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("rockpapershotgun.com") {
    html {
    overflow: -moz-scrollbars-vertical;
    overflow-x: hidden;
    overflow-y: scroll;
    }

body, #page-wrapper {
        width: 120%;
    }

}
    EDIT: Added a way to hide the horizontal scrollbar. Hopefully they'll tweak this new layout soon.
    Thanks! CSS isn't my thing really, and I didn't want to lose some afternoon fixing this.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    On my nexus 7 it works pretty well in portrait mode. Dropping the sidebar helps a lot. In landscape mode it has the same issues as on the desktop.

With the small seperator lines added (those are new, right?), I like it. Clean and simple. Although I did prefer the Rock, Paper, Shotgun emblem in its quadratic form.

Edit: Giving Top Comments a stark red background is a no-go. As seen here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...ithin-trailer/

how do the top comments work? Are they just cherrypicked by rps/mods?

The most puntastic comment gets automatically picked by a pun computer. (I think they're actually hand picked)

Network Hub
    I wish it were centred too, I actually thought the site broke the first few times I saw the new design.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Well, with the little separator bars it's less incoherent. That makes it MUCH easier on the eyes. The left-align is still weird, but whatever was causing columns to get all weird and soupy and intrude on each other when zooming in is gone. I can live with the left-align now that zooming works proper, and with some of the CSS modifiations posted here I can even be rid of that minor quibble (once I get around to trying them :P ).

I'm not fond of the top-comment thing. It's glaring and red and it feels like a warning or pop-up. But it's a cool idea! I just want it to be less eye-piercing.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    I'm not fond of the top-comment thing. It's glaring and red and it feels like a warning or pop-up. But it's a cool idea! I just want it to be less eye-piercing.
    There's a script for that!
    https://userscripts.org/scripts/show/164236
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?