Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Managed a rather sloppy 1:50.807 so far. Recorded in both Rivali and RSR so people can compare it with whatever they're using.

I'm having trouble getting the car slowed down. Under braking the rear is all over the place and is compromising my corner entry. Clearly my setup needs more work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah - managed 4 quick laps and the winner here will be whoever can get the car to slow down without flipping-off-the-track.

A quick play with the rear-wing and toe/camber made no useful difference - it's a car which doesn't want to stop in a straight-line!!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Yeah - managed 4 quick laps and the winner here will be whoever can get the car to slow down without flipping-off-the-track.

A quick play with the rear-wing and toe/camber made no useful difference - it's a car which doesn't want to stop in a straight-line!!
    I can vouch for the whole of this post. The McLaren GT3 is indeed a tamer car.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    I'm not a better racer so far (only tried a couple of laps), but I'm already much better at cursing the first chicane! Ah, Monza

Anyway, I haven't tried it yet (will do it tonight or tomorrow), but here's a setup from RD from someone who claims he got a 1:47 on medium tires.

Thanks for that setup! It's botched, you needa fix the toe on one tire, bring up the rear wing and fiddle with the brake balance, but once fixed it works like a charm...except Rivali suddenly died. It didn't connect for me so I took screenies of my lousy lap [1:53.893].

Activated Node
    Think I'll sit this one out. Monza and I have never got on. I was becoming competitive after about 5 years in GPL but I've never come to grips with the modern layout in any game. I can sometimes hit a reasonable time but screw up 95% of the laps trying and that's no fun for me.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by AMacdoanld View Post
    Think I'll sit this one out. Monza and I have never got on. I was becoming competitive after about 5 years in GPL but I've never come to grips with the modern layout in any game. I can sometimes hit a reasonable time but screw up 95% of the laps trying and that's no fun for me.
    In fairness you're not the only one. RSR tells me 72% of my laps for Monza are invalid.

Network Hub
    I've put the McLaren around Monza's modern layout a ton, so I thought that'd help me with this challenge, right?

Apparently not - the BMW and I don't get on too well it seems, and probably half of my laps were red flagged by Rivali.

I did get a 1:50.732 just as I was about to give up, though. The thing that makes me laugh is that about 10 minutes earlier I'd nailed a 1:50.8~ and on the faster lap I'm fully four tenths of a second slower through sector 1.

So somewhere out there is a 1:50.3~, if I could put three good parts into one lap.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Rirdeg View Post
    In fairness you're not the only one. RSR tells me 72% of my laps for Monza are invalid.
    I'm not really a hotlapper. I prefer to race against other people where being slower doesn't matter if you're dicing with someone equally slow.

Network Hub
    1:50.5 so far from me. So far my biggest gains have come from tweaking the diff. The trouble with that though is it's encouraging me to get on the power too early, so I keep tank slapping it coming out of the corners (usually in spectacular style into a barrier).

One thing that surprised me initially is how narrow the track is. It's so skinny compared to fat old Silverstone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've not had a lot of time for this week's combo but 2 things stood-out from the time I've spent

1 - the 'pad as wheel' setup is problematic on the faster track - lack of deadzone makes getting the car to go straight more of a challenge as speed increases - I'll probably have to swap back to 'pad as pad'
    2 - I ran a few laps with some suspension changes which ended-up with some really really weird shit happening

To expand on 2 - I think I must have somehow thrown a spanner in the physics works because on one occasion, as I was driving in a straight line, the car basically speared-off to the right and took-off! I wondered if they'd implemented on track landmines or shearing wheel-bolts/driveshafts but something similar happened (tho not as dramatically) on the next lap. I reduced some settings but weird stuff remained so I reset to an earlier setup and it all disappeared - hmmm - it was looking promising too!

I managed a low 1:54 on the stock car but my best delta before being fired into space suggested the modified car had a high 1:51 in it if only the physics wouldn't glitch - but I'm now stuck with either completely retracing my mods or trying something entirely different and I'm not really too keen on either, it's not going to be much fun, waiting for 'spaceshot' again ;0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    One thing that really suprised me is that lowering your rear wing is the worst thing you can do. Sure, the track has some straights, but almost as much is a bend. Lowering the rear wing has drasticly reduced my succes rate.
    Heck, the default setup (with soft slicks instead of mediums and less fuel, that being said) seems to be the best atm.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    AC has a reputation for most of the cars being setup quite well 'out of the box'.

The Scura was awful but it's a road car, not a race car - so you'd expect to have to change that for a track.

That said - I had some success with less wing/more camber/toe until the engine went a bit bonkers - I was pulling time on every straight and not losing it in the slower bits - and I realistic need to find 3 seconds which means I HAVE to go faster down the straights...

Agree on the quality of default setups, they work well for mostly everything.

I'm as puzzled as you are, trjp: did a fast, clean lap, only to end up with a high 1:53. I don't know where I'm losing these 3 seconds.
    On the topic of pad configurations, I reverted back to pad-as-pad and came up with a setup I'm comfortable with. If you want, I can send it to you.

Network Hub
    On those three seconds - when I was hitting consistent 1:53's Rivali showed me that the gap to MommaB was all in sector one. 2.4 of 2.9 seconds were there.

I think sector one ends as you come out of della Roggia, so, for me, it was all about getting entry and exit right for Rettifilo and then the entry and line through della Roggia. Rivali was also showing I was doing something wrong through Lesmo 1, so I had to play with that line, which probably still only brought me a tenth, because you don't get to carry any extra speed too far before you hit Lesmo 2.

The last few tenths just came from tidying up everywhere. I was running medium slicks, so I could put a few laps back-to-back and I think all of my best laps were around the fifth lap in a stint, so probably just about getting in rhythm.

Here's a corner performance app that's quite useful. It works as a delta app, only it tracks your delta for every corner on the track, so it's easier to see where you're losing or gaining time compared to your previous lap. It also tracks entry/apex/exit speed for all corners. Rather nifty.

There's also a very pretty Salzburgring mod.

As for work-in-progress mods, this United SportsCar mod is the one to keep an eye on. There's already a Corvette released for testing.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bismarck View Post
    On those three seconds - when I was hitting consistent 1:53's Rivali showed me that the gap to MommaB was all in sector one. 2.4 of 2.9 seconds were there.
    Wish I could redo just the last chicane and parabolica

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There's an easy second between an "OK" and "good" run through Rettifilio, Roggia and Ascari

I think Roggia is probably the one you have to work hardest for because it's all about late braking but not overcooking it - the kerbs are mean (and a bit random if truth by told) but you need to use a bit of them at least.

Ascari is really just one corner - the 2nd and 3rd turns you should be accelerating through if you got the first part right.

Everything else is just icing - there are 1/10th to be had but the real benefits are in getting those 3 sections 'just right'.

Network Hub
    Finally broke the 1.50 (just) though it was really scary seeing how much of my lead was ticking away after what I thouht was a pretty clean run through Ascari

edit:

Little clip of an actual Z4 GT3 doing laps around Monza. Sounds rather dramatic (maybe AC still has some catching up to do there). Also note how this guy clips every curb around the track and does not get launched into the grand stands in a blazing ball of fire, I call hax!

edit: 1.49.610
    Last edited by MommaB; 26-07-2014 at 02:28 PM.

So... I've had some trouble with this event. I was merrily hotlapping yesterday, until I noticed that Rivali wasn't recording anything at all. Sigh. Bummer.

So I switched to RSR, which I don't really know how to configure (any way to make the app show only our times?). I ran some 10 laps, and I was very happy when I got a 1:52:471. After I finished the session, I looked myself up at RSR's site and discovered that it recorded just a 1:53:130.

I was puzzled, because I was sure my 1:52 was valid. So I went back to the replay, and noticed something I can only call a bug. I was already running out of fuel when I managed the 1:52 (the car stopped working in the first chicane on the next lap). But when I watched the replay, the engine stopped making sounds at the Parabolica during my 1:52 lap... only the car was still responding normally! (You can see it accelerating, etc.) This happened only during the replay, but it's probably some sync'ing issue that made RSR consider my lap invalid.

I wanted to post a video of the lap to let you guys see for yourselves, but I'm completely clueless about video capture, etc. I tried using that Dxtory mentioned earlier, but couldn't get it to record at all. Then I tried MSI Afterburner's own video capture thingie, which recorded the lap - but it was a rather choppy AVI video with some 900MB, and I'm not uploading that (googling "AVI conversion" only got me a bunch of "free" programs which are likely full of spyware). Any tips?