Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Thanks everyone, and well done to all of you. This competition is getting... competitive!

I have made my decision! And I've made medium tyres compulsory this time, as MommaB wanted.

CAR: MP4-12C GT3
    CIRCUIT: VALLELUNGA (full circuit)
    TYRES: MEDIUM ONLY

I've done what I can best describe as an 'installation lap' around the circuit to get a very basic feel of it, as I haven't driven it before. It's a really, really nice layout, with some wonderful sweeping turns, and some much more forgiving curbs (kerbs, curbs, I never know which is which) this time.

I think this will be a lot more fun than Monza. Both the Mclaren and the circuit layout should benefit pad users, so that should even it all out a bit. I think Monza was unfair in that respect.
    Last edited by Mittens89; 28-07-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    There's also an RSR event link up again.
    Lets hope the plugin works all week long this time :P.

EDIT: Le sigh. On closer inspection it seems that both restricting the tyres does not seem to work, and that the event.ini itself does not seem to work.
    le sigh x2.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Two things I should mention... first, RSR does support pretty much all of the mod tracks I've been posting, so I suppose we should think about whether to include them in the possibilities
    THe rules (tm) already alllow this to happen. However, although RSR basically can record any track that goes in circles, it does not display those times on the website itself untill the track is supported "officially" by RSR.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 28-07-2014 at 05:39 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wahey - a circuit with at least 2 hidden launchramps ;0

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Wahey - a circuit with at least 2 hidden launchramps ;0
    I think it's more down to the car, actually.
    YOu see, the Z4 is a typical german bruiser. It shows it's willing to fight, and when you come down that corner hard it shouts "BLITZKRIEG!" and puts some extra effort in, ocasionally launching you from the track. Luckily, however, when it does that is rather predictable.

The MP4-12C on the other hand, is quiet and civilized. It's a stable chap, someone you'd always want to drink tea with ocasionally... Untill it declares that it is from Glasgow and cuts your throat with the tea cup because you pronounced "thanks" wrong.
    The above post was actually about ethics in games' journalism.

Join FolkARPS, the finest combination of tractors and Arma 3 manshooting you'll find anywhere.
    Join our racing games subforum! Because there is only one thing better then a car wot go fast... And that's moar cars wot go fast.

Network Hub
    I actually hit a 1:50.7, but apparently Rivali wipes your time if you compete at the same car/track combination, on different tyres. So when I did four laps on softs it removed my time on mediums.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bismarck View Post
    I actually hit a 1:50.7, but apparently Rivali wipes your time if you compete at the same car/track combination, on different tyres. So when I did four laps on softs it removed my time on mediums.
    Oh shizzle.
    No, it remembers your time for each tyre, and I simply missed it.
    Here it is.

Sorry, I had to get up at 4:30 this morning.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 28-07-2014 at 09:35 PM.
    The above post was actually about ethics in games' journalism.

Join FolkARPS, the finest combination of tractors and Arma 3 manshooting you'll find anywhere.
    Join our racing games subforum! Because there is only one thing better then a car wot go fast... And that's moar cars wot go fast.

Network Hub
    No problems at all - just thought I'd found something odd in Rivali.

Network Hub
    Rivali currently has me 1.3 seconds slower than MommaB, almost all of which (0.955), is in sector 2, I presume because of the dreadful line I take through the second sweeping right hander, (Campagnano?). I don't think I've got that one right enough to even see an apex yet.

That's promising, I guess, because it means if I can focus on that section I can at least get close.

I'm slightly faster through sector one (31.621 vs 31.653), then slower again in sector three (28.128 vs 27.787). It looks like MommaB is carrying more speed than me into the final turn and holding more of it through the turn.

I do love this car though. I bought it in iRacing because of how much fun I had with it in AC.

Network Hub
    Liking the track so far, really rewarding and not one I played in yesteryears.

I think key to the last sector is really late hard braking and very very carefully trailbraking into that sweeper and the following hairpin. I have to brake slightly into the chicane and usually shift early for the exit to avoid hitting the bumps with full throttle. Overall I am pretty pleased with the lap as this stuff is usually my weekest. Thank god for abs, right.

What do you guys think about aero / gearing / diff/ brakes for this? So far I like 4 on the rear wing again and one click lower final drive (more accel). I lower pressure all around for better grip and temps (front on 23 and rear on 24). I noticed at monze that my right front was not heating up enough causing bad behaviour under braking, I'll try lowering pressure again here to see if it improves the left handers and trail braking. Haven't touched the diff or anything else yet.

Network Hub
    Got down to 1:36.0, but although that could be tidier, it's already pretty clear MommaB's time is out of reach. I might be able to get midway into the 1:35's, on that one golden lap where every sector is purple, but I think the 1:34s are beyond me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Got a nice low 1:37 for my first attempts - having a lot of trouble finding the braking point for the turn after the second straight, but it's a really nice track. And I finally figured out why Rivali wasn't working - it was conflicting with the corner performance app. Ah well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    I've just realized Rivali kills my framerate. Downloading the latest version now.

EDIT: okay, it's not just Rivali - ALL the apps bring a huge performance hit.
    Last edited by Prolar Bear; 29-07-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    First shot as a setup run - 1 click off the final drive, drop tyre pressures a bit = a few mid 1.36s in-a-row.

I think the 'fast lap' here is made on the slowest corners - the difference between one you take 4 bites at and one you brake/turn/accelerate on is easily .75s+ and there's 3 corners like that in a row!!

Then there's the left-right before the run to the final corner which is just - well - horrible. If there's a clean line through that I've not found it - the camber/gradient is weird and the car pushes out from both (and there's a launchramp kerb on each too).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prolar Bear View Post
    I've just realized Rivali kills my framerate. Downloading the latest version now.

EDIT: okay, it's not just Rivali - ALL the apps bring a huge performance hit.
    The thing I found that killed my framerate was depth of field, and I also had to fiddle with the reflection settings.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    I would understand graphical settings to kill FPS, but apps? In terms of settings, the biggest hits come from Anisotropic (ugh), all the postprocessing effects (game looks better without to me, save for the glare on headlights) and the reflections. But that's to be expected.

I agree with the above about not finding the line through the left-right leading to the final corner. I'm just TOO slow on that part. I'm using a stock setup, pretty much.

Activated Node
    Only 3rd for now but I take comfort from the fact that I (currently) have the fastest first sector! Even though that throws the rest of the lap into an even more pitiful light!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Agree on disabling the post-processing - the game looks more solid and it's easier-on-the-head in-car too.

This circuit is the first time I've found myself wishing for an TrackIR tho - it must give some benefits in slower corners?

I'd go 'triple monitor' but nVidia refuses to dance with my monitors as they're not identical and it wants identical (I have 2x1440x900 and a 1920x1080 and it only offers 3840x960 - 1280x960 is ugly on ALL the monitors and cropped on 2 of them!!)

nVidia sucks in that dept...

p.s. few more laps but I'm wasting my time - the section leading upto the last corner is just broken - it needs fixing properly

If you look at this side-by-side, all the failings of AC leap out. See how much kerb the real driver uses against what we can use (safely - without danger of being thrown into space!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obihNetDcDg

Those 2 'broken' corners before the last corner seem like they're downhill in reality - but feel more uphill in-game and the car just remains horribly off-balance meaning any attempt at straightening those out will spin-you, push you into the kerbs or worse...
    Last edited by trjp; 30-07-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Activated Node
    Mittens has punished me appropriately for daring to claim to be the fastest in S1. I am suitably chastened.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by AMacdoanld View Post
    Mittens has punished me appropriately for daring to claim to be the fastest in S1. I am suitably chastened.
    Sorry

1:34.699 (I think) so far. So much time to be made up by simply relaxing and making smoother throttle/steering inputs. I reckon a 1:33 is in there, but it'll be difficult.

Trjp, what issues are you having with the final section? It seems perfectly fine to me. Have you tried adjusting ride height, as that helped me out quite a lot. I also tightened up the diff slightly to maintain traction on corner exit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's not a setup thing - it's a "the track is broken" thing - anything I change for that corner will bite me in other corners.

Approach the first of those 2 corners from any point, turn-in and your car will be pushed-to-the-right as-if the track were banked or you'd entered going quite a bit faster. This is surprising because the last 2 corners, which were tighter, we nothing like as hard to get around - but it's not just that.

You approach more slowly next time but still it feels like you have a flat-tyre when you turn-in and getting the line for the right hander is still quite hard.

Even if you sacrifice speed to be sure you get the correct line, the 2nd corner is weird in other ways - it starts by pushing you to the left (the opposite of it's predecessor) but only so-far. It's as-if the track had a 'crown' and once you pass that the car settles into a different attitude again - all of which can unsettle the car and generally feels like I just drove through a set of speed humps or a muddy field and not a racetrack ;0

My own deltas show me gaining/losing anything upto 2 seconds on 'clean' runs through those corners alone - I've run maybe 20 laps and I still have no idea where it thinks I should go (it's not the line in the video above for the McLaren - that's for sure!)

Looking at the real track, there's a bit of a rollercoaster through section - it drops and then rises but in-game it feels more like straight uphill - clearly the track has been modelled on the real world but doesn't LOOK like the real world and that's hard to get your head around.

Add the stupid bump entering the first double-corner (which stops you taking that corner with the line in the video above) and you have a track which could really use a bit of TLC - it needs to either "look" more like it is or have some changes made to avoid cars being fired into space ;0

p.s. yes, that's true of a lot of tracks in AC - I know ;0