Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    I am honestly interested in a "Time Attack" challenge as that basically does exactly what you describe: reward consistency over anything else - but the livetiming apps don't support it.

Network Hub
    Ill put 3 laps in and find a way for the game to show it...somehow.

There must be a way. My final 4 lap run laptimes were all in the 1:57s - low 1:58s, yet I cant prove it .

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I mentioned this earlier - one hotlap thing I did some years back averages your best 3 laps IN A ROW - that tended to sort the men from the boys (and removed silly tyre pressures/fuel loads and "lucky" laps from the equation) - I guarantee people who win those - win races.
    Sounds a lot like Time Trial in iRacing ;-)

Lesser Hivemind Node Prolar Bear's Avatar
    I'll let you know if I ever get round to learn Python...

Network Hub
    Another thing id like to do is a live session. Decide on a circuit/car combination, and then set up say a 20 minute hotlap event on a private server where we all attempt to set the fastest time during that session. We could even have a race afterwards!

It would put us under more pressure to get the setup right, learn the car and track quickly, etc. It would be quite tense!

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens89 View Post
    Another thing id like to do is a live session. Decide on a circuit/car combination, and then set up say a 20 minute hotlap event on a private server where we all attempt to set the fastest time during that session. We could even have a race afterwards!

It would put us under more pressure to get the setup right, learn the car and track quickly, etc. It would be quite tense!
    This, absolutely. As I mentioned some time ago, the only caveat for now is that we can't still create servers from within AC.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Prolar Bear View Post
    I'll let you know if I ever get round to learn Python...
    I've already had a look at this - the plugin bit is easy although making it display stuff in-game looks faffy and time-consuming.

Worst part is dealing with the cheating issue tho - it's painfully easy to submit anything you like - the only real security I've seen is to demand a staggering list of shit which someone might be reluctant to do manually ;0

Network Hub
    This, absolutely. As I mentioned some time ago, the only caveat for now is that we can't still create servers from within AC.
    When we can host, the world shall be ours!

I've already had a look at this - the plugin bit is easy although making it display stuff in-game looks faffy and time-consuming.

Worst part is dealing with the cheating issue tho - it's painfully easy to submit anything you like - the only real security I've seen is to demand a staggering list of shit which someone might be reluctant to do manually ;0
    I think we can safely assume that the RPSites are not cheating.
    And if they are, they will be rubbish at the races :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    I think we can safely assume that the RPSites are not cheating.
    And if they are, they will be rubbish at the races :P
    Thing is - if you aren't worried about cheating then the solution is to ask people to run 3 laps and post their lap chart screenshot!

That idea took me a LOT less time to develop ;0

Aside: I spent 2 hours with someone this week who wanted advice on "computerising" a system they have in their shops, after a lengthy chat I told them to "keep using paper" because - frankly - it does 99% of what they want and costs nowt - anything 'digital' would cost a fortune and I honestly don't think they'd see any benefit from it ;0

Network Hub
    Thing is - if you aren't worried about cheating then the solution is to ask people to run 3 laps and post their lap chart screenshot!
    Which is exactly what I was going to do, as long as people trust me

At the end of the day, a cheater doesn't gain anything by winning, and besides, I think we could tell easily if someone is fiddling with the wrong settings anyway. Also, its hard to cheat at being consistent!

Activated Node
    So... are we changing the rules now or what?

Activated Node
    Average of 3: 1:59.514

Quote Originally Posted by zitron View Post
    So... are we changing the rules now or what?
    As the de-facto manager of this thing: No. The only irregurality that is now occuring is that the deadline has been postponed to coming Saturday night due to the issues with the new update. This should give everyone enough time to get either some good screenshots uploaded or just validate their times trough the livetiming app.
    The only actual rule change is that the event will now end on Saturday, because doing scoreboards on monday is a PITA when you have work or, in my case, studying.

After that, I shall see. I do have a mind to try this time attack mode for a week (as time attack mode enforces driving consistently) and see how that works out for people, then allow the session winner to state whether they want hotlap or time attack mode.

TRJP's concerns about cheating and the like are perhaps valid, but the solutions are:
    1) Running RSR events again, which enforce the same settings for everyone.
    This is problematic, as both trjp and I dislike RSR at the moment.

2) Best of three - post screenshots of lapboards and everything
    Would, IMO, ruin the original "pick up and play" aspect. Also, I don't like having to calculate everything for scoreboards personally, and I do feel that trjp's concerns about driving consistency can be solved rather easily by simply having races in AC once it matures. Heck, we could turn colissions off and go full trackmania.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    1 - I wasn't suggesting the 3-lap thing replace this - it was just an option
    2 - We're open to all players and any means of showing your times but it's easier for everyone if you use Rivali (and join the RPS group) or RSR (and befriend everyone or at least make sure we know who you are on Steam)

I'd also remind new players that we've done previous events here - new players may want to peek back in the thread and see how they fare against those!!

p.s. I just managed a slightly over 2.00 lap - jumping a couple of people on Rivali - and I saw a delta almost .5 up on that so I SHOULD be able to do a sub 2min yet!

Tip: fuel - more of it - weight over the backend - works ;0
    Last edited by trjp; 02-09-2014 at 03:24 AM.

Network Hub
    Tip: fuel - more of it - weight over the backend - works ;0
    Yes! I did a lap using 5 litres and found I was slower than a lap with 20 litres on board. I'm glad it's not just me!

Edit: A short run from earlier. Lap 2 was supposed to be the start of my 3 timed laps, but I fluffed the middle sector

Mid 58s for consistency, any quicker and the risk of making a mistake becomes too high, for me at least. I tried to force myself into 'long race distance with no in-game saving ability' mode.

2014-09-02_00002.jpg
    Last edited by Mittens89; 02-09-2014 at 09:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I just managed a 1:59:238 (with a 1:59.odd before that) which I'm pretty pleased with - esp as looking at the lap, EVERY corner is messy

So there might be something left but I think I've reached the limit of reasonable consistency with a pad - and I've played with every susp. setting too ;0

My setup - if anyone wants to try it - brakes well, turns well and most importantly you can catch small tail slides easily (and you'll have those) - my other tip is "use a lot of kerb - esp in Turns 1 and 2" (you can do it smoother than this lap!!) and "turn sooner than you think you should"

Tyres - Semislicks 21F and 22R
    Fuel 40L - seriously, I do better with 25l+ than I ever did with <25l
    Camber F -1.5 R -0.9
    Toe F 11 R 17

GL with that - here's the scrappy lap and props to hariseldon, Handbrake did amazing work (850Mb>28Mb!!) although there were some artifacts, Youtube seems to have fixed those (tho it's slow to update to a decent size, it was 540p originally)

http://youtu.be/tUIW4K2S40I

Uhh, what's that app that people are using to keep records of more laps?

IE the one in the top right corner in the above screenie.

Network Hub
    Uhh, what's that app that people are using to keep records of more laps?

IE the one in the top right corner in the above screenie.
    One of the default ones. Session ranking I think.

Network Hub
    As mentioned in the driving games thread i've been playing around with heel and toe today. Getting better at it, still making some mistakes. I find it helps a lot in the F40. The clutch pedal indicator doesn't work properly in the replay but it was being used.

Don't know how many hours i've been in AC today but it's a lot. First trying to find the correct FFB settings, my old ones are awful now for some reason, and then trying to beat Mittens time. Got the achievement for driving 250KM in one session lol.

Finally managed a 1:57.781. Time should be available in both RSR and Rivali. Video below.