Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Mittens is having kittens ;0

What I can't understand is that you're braking earlier, if anything, than I am and yet you're 1.5sec quicker!

It's also weird watching a wheel video - the car almsot feels 'floaty' because the wheel moves so smoothly
    Last edited by trjp; 03-09-2014 at 09:02 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    What I can't understand is that you're braking earlier, if anything, than I am and yet you're 1.5sec quicker!
    If it's any consolation, i'm not doing it consistently :P.

Network Hub
    Very nice once again Rirdeg! Great lap. The trick to going fast in this car is by slowing down effectively it would seem.

I would definitely say advantage to the heel and toe guys, particularly for this car.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I suspect that 'braking sooner' thing is telling me I'm overdriving the car - you're always chasing later braking points etc. but sometimes that just makes you slower overall and the slighter lesser effort yields the better result.

Racing against Mittens' Rivali time I've been within 3 10ths upto the chicane (where I binned it) - that would have been easily 1sec quicker than I've been before - but it's all about execution and when you're pushing really hard, that's when you fail over and over.

Fun tho - also hariseldon started an unofficial challenge for the Rainbow Road/Lotus 49 in the Dirt thread which i think we could pick-up here (it's a bit random, a bit mental, a lot of fun!)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So I tried the 'less is more' thing - I also ran against Mittens Rivali Delta rather than my own (to see where I was losing time)

1:58:469 - that's a whole SECOND faster than yesterday.

More amusing again - it started with a really bad run through the first 2 corners - I was 1.7s down on Mittens at that point and I'd clawed a second of that back by the chicane and a bit more before the line.

So, Mittens, there is a second to be had between the 4th/5th left/right and the chicane and a bit more speed out of the last corner too ;0 (at least .5 sec in the hairpin alone!!)

Network Hub
    I practically park the car at the apex, rotate and then max throttle out. That means im technically far slower than I could be through corners, but im gaining on the straights. Particularly useful for the last corner.

Ill have another go tonight (hotlap, not a 3 lap run). I reckon a 56 is in there if I keep it tidy.

Network Hub
    It's a common myth that late braking is faster. It's useful when overtaking as it'll get you into the passing zone and bully the other car out of the corner, but it's a slower approach in general as it compromises the entry into the corner and can thus lead to a slower exit (the most important aspect of the corner, especially if leading to a long straight).

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
    It's a common myth that late braking is faster. It's useful when overtaking as it'll get you into the passing zone and bully the other car out of the corner, but it's a slower approach in general as it compromises the entry into the corner and can thus lead to a slower exit (the most important aspect of the corner, especially if leading to a long straight).
    Yes, exactly.

Are you interested in joining our hotlap competition? The more participants, the better. We can even do Rainbow Road as a special one off, if you like.

Network Hub
    I would but hot lapping bores me, I prefer to race. Nothing beats wheel to wheel combat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
    I would but hot lapping bores me, I prefer to race. Nothing beats wheel to wheel combat.
    So you wouldn't then - basically?

Cmon - Mittens needs some challenge and there are people with wheels slower than people with pads, this needs dealing with surely? :0

The unofficial Rainbow Road/Lotus 49 challenge if nothing else ;0

p.s. anyone bored with the current challenge might want to mix-it-up - back in March the official boards ran a challenge at Imola with the F40 S3 - a quick lap was under 1:51 ;0

p.p.s. - this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBGr...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by trjp; 05-09-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Network Hub
    I'm BACK :evilgrin: thanks for extending this challenge, wouldn't want to miss it!

1.57.563 though all over the place in splits every lap

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaB View Post
    I'm BACK :evilgrin: thanks for extending this challenge, wouldn't want to miss it!

Haha, I knew the minute that notification of you playing AC popped up you were going to beat my time! Welcome back!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    Welcome back...

...dangit, you guys are pretty damn fast.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaB View Post

Welcome back! Now the wheel is coming out.

Edit: 1:56.8. I knew there was a 56 in there!
    Last edited by Mittens89; 05-09-2014 at 08:07 PM.

I've become stupid. I can't even keep the darn thing on the track anymore.

Network Hub
    Should I ever come to own an F40 remind me to not try and race it at 4am in the morning. Though a fun workout, all I ended up with was a 1.57.1 (rivali down)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    I haven't had time to play AC this week, unfortunately, but here's a fun video for all of you:

Great Laffite, one of the underrated drivers of his generation. No helmet! And AC still has a lot of work to do when it comes to sounds, it looks like

He looked scared. The car sounds like some sort of ungodly demon in that vid.

Activated Node
    1:57.861

1:56 is definitely possible but for me that's going to be a 1 in 100 lap event!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    And the Mittens WINS!

Mittens89 Logitech G25 1:56.849
    MommaB Thrustmaster T500 1:57.536
    Rirdeg Logitech G27 1:57.781
    Zitron 1:57.861
    TRJP X360 DirectInput 1:58.469
    Bismarck Fanatec 2:00.763
    Oingy_Boingy X360 XInput 2:00.851
    Prolar Bear X360 XInput 2:02.513
    MacDonald 2:03.003

As a reward, he Gets this special cup of coffee
    Okay, I am going to do something weird and upheavalish.

First of all, Mittens89 gets to decide the car and track:
    Any Ferrari - Any Track
    Any Car - Any Italian Track except Mugello

second of all (And that's the main reason for the upheaval) you won't need livetiming apps for the next round. Why? Because:

The next round will be Time Attack instead of Hotlap! This to test it. Time Attack seems to favour consistency, but gives you a nice point score which is easy to make a screenshot of.

Lastly, next week I am planning on introducing a new ruleset:
    From now on, every time you get to decide a car and track you get a point.
    The person with the fastest lap time amongst those with the least amount of points gets to decide the car and track.
    There will be no restrictions on which car or which track you may pick, even if it is not supported by the livetiming apps (Screenshots FTW!)
    The "one change per week" rule will be abolished for the time being on the account that everybody now gets a shot at picking a car and track (And I have been pretty loose with it anyway).
    The "decider" also gets to decide what challenge will be run: Hotlap, Time Attack, or best X laps.

Upload your screenshots here! (or in the thread, but I like having everything in one place)

All in favour?
    Last edited by Grizzly; 07-09-2014 at 09:19 AM.
    The above post was actually about ethics in games' journalism.

Join FolkARPS, the finest combination of tractors and Arma 3 manshooting you'll find anywhere.
    Join our racing games subforum! Because there is only one thing better then a car wot go fast... And that's moar cars wot go fast.