Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar

Piracy discussion

With the thread closing and talk of bannings and world view moderation I have a question. What is allowed or not allowed when discussing piracy?

Can I admit to piracy openly? I understand it is probably against the rules to link to pirate sites. What about saying things like, "just download the crack, that will fix your problem with this game?"

Basically what is the stance of RPS forum moderators when it comes to piracy discussion? What is allowed?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    People have openly discussed it before. Some people get quite angry though. I openly admitted to it and someone told me they'd reported me to FAST. They haven't been in touch yet.

Linking to pirate sites would seem to be not-excellent. If you tell someone to 'download the crack' expect to kick off a huge argument on why they shouldn't have to. But yeah, don't be a dick about it and it's fine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I too would be curious for an official stance. I know I've caught lots of hell for requesting people not link directly to cracks (I would be VERY surprised if that were allowed...), but what about grey areas like "How to get an emulated game to work correctly?". Technically that is (probably) 100% not piracy, but it greatly encourages people to go the extra centimeter and say "By the way, you can get the ROM at BLAH.SUFFIX".
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Pretty sure you can say you're a pirate and you've pirated games. But if you start linking to pirate material, that's where the site might have to step in so it doesn't look like they're linking to/promoting piracy.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Downloading a crack is technically illegal, but few would argue that it's unethical.

I've admitted pirating games on multiple occasions on this site without repercussion.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Downloading a crack is technically illegal, but few would argue that it's unethical.

I've admitted pirating games on multiple occasions on this site without repercussion.
    You haven't answered if you can 720 no scope and have max prestige on every CoD ever so I cant take your gaming cred seriously yet.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Yes, that is completely understandable.
    Is an entire domain considered a pirate site? For example, pirate bay... what about a link to a page on pirate bay that is legit? Say for a free game that was uploaded by developers, like McPixel? I don't guess it's important to put up a link anyway, as one could easily say, "that game is available legitimately on pirate bay." and any interested users would google it or whatever.

Is that the rule, then? Discuss, admit, glorify, demean...whatever about piracy, just don't link to pirated material? That is fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    And ethics (as the people in a certain thread can't seem to understand...) mean jack shit and are very much a matter of the individual.

The issue is more the legality issue. While it is not likely legal action would be taken against RPS, it can still influence how various publishers and devs feel about the site (If they think it is a shithole full of pirates, they are less likely to give exclusives and work together for giveaways) and, more importantly, it attracts a really fucking annoying crowd.

But the actual discussion of "being a pirate" almost assuredly isn't an issue. Just don't be an idiot about it. If I say "I like Dungeons and Dragons", no problem. If I run around in every thread and derail every discussion by saying that, it is a problem
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Unless I hear otherwise, no-linkz-2-warez sounds fine.

I may, however, infract anybody who admits to piracy yet fails to include a "me hearties" or similar sign of authenticity in their post.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    And ethics (as the people in a certain thread can't seem to understand...) mean jack shit and are very much a matter of the individual.
    No man is an island.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    I may, however, infract anybody who admits to piracy yet fails to include a "me hearties" or similar sign of authenticity in their post.
    Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Depends entirely on context. If it's a game that's no longer available via legitimate means or a workaround to address some technical issue, or that you pirated games when you were a kid I doubt anyone is going to care. Though direct linking to pirate sites is always going to be a no no. Though there is a PM system here. However 'I hate *insert name of dev/publisher* because they *insert perceived grievance* and I'm pirating *insert this/all* games(s) from here on in, might not necessarily get you banned, but it's likely frowned upon.

However the real question is why is it important to inform a bunch of internet strangers that you 'pirated X title'? Beyond grandstanding against 'the man' what purpose does it serve to say 'Oh I pirated that' or 'I'm gonna pirate the shit of that and learn Pete Molyneux a lesson for Fable 1' beyond 'Look at me people I'm so rebellious and cool' Pretty much everyone is here because they enjoy games. I don't doubt a fair few people do pirate games either because they're too broke or to stingy to purchase them and in truth it is what it is.

I think it's generally accepted that a lot of people here pirate TV shows because they're either not available in their country or only available via certain cable subscribers, yet you'd be hard pressed to find people bombing 'the what you been watching thread' with 'Yo, I'm pirating Breaking Bad Bitches FU AMC!!!' Versus discussing the show.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 17-09-2013 at 11:29 AM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    However 'I hate *insert name of dev/publisher* because they *insert perceived grievance* and I'm pirating *insert this/all* games(s) from here on in, might not necessarily get you banned, but it's likely frowned upon.
    But how else are people meant to secretly enjoy BIG GAME PUBLISHER games while maintaining the argument of a teenager that they're sticking it to the man?

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    But how else are people meant to secretly enjoy BIG GAME PUBLISHER games while maintaining the argument of a teenager that they're sticking it to the man?
    Enjoy it? Surely it's a form of live protest? They're not enjoying playing those games, they're forcing themselves through them to better understand the awfulness of AAA titles. I think I saw in some distant Ubisoft article one noble protester talk at length about how he'd forced his way through every AC title to protest Ubi's Draconian non existent always on DRM. Truly a hero of the web and an inspiration to all.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 17-09-2013 at 11:33 AM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Activated Node
    Im pirating games ironically

Quote Originally Posted by peschiNL View Post
    Im pirating games ironically
    I'm ironically not pirating.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I want to share photos of my games from the 80's and 90's (mostly warez). And a screenshot of my Steam account with 600+ games. Having a job is bad for warez :P

Surely if you wanted to best-compensate a developer in monetary terms (short of just sending them extra money) you'd buy the game from their own DD service and then torrent it to save them fractional currency on their bandwidth bill.

MAXIMUM ETHICS

ETHICS OUT THE WAZOO
    Is not a leg.
    Frobnitz Ichor Liquor purveyors don't need compasses to tell which way the moon sounds.

i used to be a pirate when i had too much time on my hands back being a kid. Now, with so little free time for gaming, i have to pick wisely my games, stuff to play with for some months, not few days...and i buy them. Beat that gaming bulimia and you beat piracy, at least for me it worked.
    Last edited by dariush1986; 04-02-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Ignoring the very questionable necro-post from someone who probably just wants to advertise their KS or something...

Can we actually get an official stance on what is and isn't allowed to be discussed?

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Can we actually get an official stance on what is and isn't allowed to be discussed?
    I think that if you try to force a response from the powers that be they would have to come down on the side of no piracy discussion whatsoever.

Just be sensible and excellent and use your brains, I guess? *world's biggest shrug*