Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblazeuk View Post
    Oh my god. I have never been more bored by anything GTA related and this is by no means a criticism of your explanation. It's just... stocks. I just expected it to be more of the type which holds your rifle/shotgun steady.
    I was talking to somebody at work about the game and he made a similar comment. I'll concede it's not particularly gangster to play the stock markets through corporate espionage/murder but it makes you plenty of money. And now I am going to bore you (nothing personal) with more stock chat. I was wondering if anyone had any luck fiddling the LCN stock rates by attacking rivals. I tried it with the TacoBomb/Chicken people andit did fluctuate a bit but not enough to make some serious money. Perhaps I should have persisted beyond blowing up 30 or so trucks?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    The main way to make any money from that is to play the stocks based on Lester's assassination missions.

That's what I'm guessing they put it in for, because you make a ton of money doing it.
    steam: sketch

I did three of them early on so can't get huge amounts from the remaining two. I'll have to retry it on a new playthrough.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    This made me think... when will we get a GTA not set in America?
    Probably never, because almost all of the jokes relate to American politics, pop culture, or consumerism. Take the "American" out of the equation and there's literally nothing for them to make fun of.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Probably never, because almost all of the jokes relate to American politics, pop culture, or consumerism. Take the "American" out of the equation and there's literally nothing for them to make fun of.
    And even though Max Payne 3 was set largely in Brazil that voice bled into the writing of that game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I suppose another major problem would be the plausibility of weapons in a non-US setting. In America, with its prevalence and veneration of weapons, its plausible the characters could get their hands on automatic shotguns, sniper rifles etc. Whereas places like the UK and Europe, with far higher restrictions on firearms, it would make having a British character armed with 6 types of assault rifle seem a bit far-fetched.

Plus the far greater risk of having a GTA set in London is that Danny Dyer would be in it. And nobody wants that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samorai View Post
    I suppose another major problem would be the plausibility of weapons in a non-US setting. In America, with its prevalence and veneration of weapons, its plausible the characters could get their hands on automatic shotguns, sniper rifles etc.
    Exactly, I mean Ammunation is a caricature of America's love affair with firearms of all types, it would be entirely out of place in most other places. You rightly point out that even something as basic as getting weapons would have to be totally overhauled, and I don't know if Rockstar can make jokes about some thug selling a black market piston in an alley. It's just not funny.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Yup, hard to make a game where your only weapons are a cricket bat, a modified starters pistol, a sawn off shotgun with 6 cartridges you got from some dodgy bloke called 'Millsy' and a grenade your found in your grandad's loft. It'd be interesting to see a game in places like Eastern Europe or South American, places like Brazil which has a lot of gang violence. It's part of why I enjoyed Max Payne 3.

Network Hub
    Who ever said you can't do heavy artillery in 'ol Blighty?

http://youtu.be/CuGvVJhhedE

As much as I enjoyed GTA IV and V, I wouldn't have minded seeing a game more similar in look/humour to Snatch. Imagine the action switching back and forth between Turkish and Tommy, Bullet-Tooth Tony and Cousin Avi, then Sol, Vinnie and Tyrone, and then bringing in the Wild Bunch from RocknRolla. I'd enjoy an open world version of that a lot more than some of the more recent ways the UK is represented as in games, and right now I'm thinking specifically of that London pub fight at the beginning of Uncharted 3, where apparently the only type of Londoner that exists is the flat-cap-indoors wearing kind.

Come on, tell me this wouldn't make for a great GTA:

In fact, GTA VII could come with the words "Guy Ritchies' Grand Theft Auto VII" on the cover and I'd be wetter than January for it.

Obscure Node
    The game is fun, but the occasional frame drops don't really help. I can't wait for the PC version. Although this game is way better than GTA4. This one was a bit more fun and over the top.

Obscure Node
    It's strange how forgettable GTAV has been for me since I finished playing it. The world remains one of the best a videogame has created, in my opinion, but everything else strangely doesn't stick in the memory. The missions were fun, but there was no one mission that really blew me away. The character switching worked really well, but as usual the story wasn't up to much. I had a great time, but once it was over, that was that.

This probably sounds like a stupid thing to say. But I'm a big GTA fan, and usually they stay with me a bit longer.

Agreed totally Degolas. I was mucking around in Vice City and San Andreas and playing GTA IV's multiplayer for months and years after release, but GTA V I've barely touched since I finished it back in October. Kind of a let down. :/

For all you folks craving a British GTA, if you have a PS2 you might wanna track down a copy of The Getaway or The Getaway: Black Monday.

IIRC Black Monday didn't get very good reviews, but I had a good time with it nonetheless. There's not much to do in it outside of the story missions, but I really enjoyed just driving around London. :)