Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Is there any way to skip / avoid the torture mission? Because I'd quite like to play the game, but I'm not going to play that.

Though I guess I tend to spend most GTA games just driving around having random fun... so maybe I can just ignore the main storyline entirely?
    That mission is a part of the main story, so I don't think you can skip it. That scene mainly serves to set up what utter bastards the people you work for are. It's supposed to be an uncomfortable experience, and it is. :|

Can you get your money's worth ignoring the storymissions are just driving around having fun? Sure, but in that case I'd suggest waiting till the game hits the bargain bin before picking it up.

Trevor does seem to mellow out, if only slightly, as it goes on. Granted, that's from word of mouth, I've only just met him and done maybe three missions.

Also agreed, I despised the clingy friends of GTA4.

Who is on the PS3 from here? I'd be rather interested in creating a crew with you all. If yer interested anyway.
    Last edited by halbarad; 25-09-2013 at 09:41 AM.

The offline stock market turns out to be rather disappointing. There is a lot of misinformation about it, but I did quite a bit of testing myself, and as best as I can figure, here's how it works. Stocks (including a couple online ones) are only affected by missions (especially the assassinations, save them for post-game), events where NPCs give you stock tips, and not anything else (like destroying stuff, I'm convinced this does not work). They vary randomly within a few percent, and once in a while can have a big price change (even outside their min/max range, possibly due to the "LCN Home" page news items - mostly these seem to do nothing though), which is reflected in the previous price info (that otherwise doesn't update). So conventional investing (buy low sell high) is really all you can do with it, and advancing time by sleeping does eventually bump the prices around. The final heist take and assassination investing can easily earn half a billion or more on each character (I started with around 20M each), and players are reporting that >2B you can hit the signed 32-bit integer rollover and end up with a negative balance (there's no need to go so high, and you could always dump it into stocks to prevent that). See this thread for general research, and this one for max investing info (he missed the Facade recovery bump though).

There was one thing that completely surprised me, and I still don't know what to make of this. When I finished the last story mission and let the credits roll, I saved and then ended up loading the game (because I drove across the map to a ? mission that disappeared due to the time of day, and also I had missed the radio news about the final story events). Then the stock charts started working like real charts. They tracked the actual prices! I could see day-to-day where the old fake chart zigzags ended and the actual +/- 3% or so random fluctuations began. They advanced daily like you would expect (the fake ones don't), and almost all of them looked like nearly flat lines after the changeover (except for AUG, which apparently doubles when the game ends). It didn't last however, and my game went back to the fake charts the next time I played. I don't know if that was a bug or Easter egg or what, or why they have both fake and real charts coded (perhaps because real charts of a fake market look very boring).

I'm done messing with the offline stocks (it's tedious to do, and a poor way to reward players IMHO), but curious to see how the online works out (and more interested in the online gameplay). Betta and Tinkle are modified by single player events (both show $200 - $400 range), but maybe they still move a little randomly or due to player investing. Except for HAL (or others that price crash), the relative percentage movements are so small that you'll probably have to invest for the long term to get much out of it, which is probably the right way for it to work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I like Trevor a lot more after you get all three together. He's not as cruel but really crazy, yet also quite clever. A couple of his lines have really cracked me up.
    steam: sketch

Obscure Node
    Gta 3 > 5

8d~

well if youre going to do it LIKE THAT then surely, it must be:

GTA Vice City > GTA San Andreas > Ballad > GTA 3 > GTA 4 > GTA 5.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

No way. This is one of the better ones. Better than IV by a long way.

Network Hub
    Nope.

GTA 5 > GTA San Andreas > GTA 3 (only because of the gang fights) > GTA 4 > GTA 2 > GTA > GTA Vice City

you hated vi e city that much, even though it was a vastly improved gta3?
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    you hated vi e city that much, even though it was a vastly improved gta3?
    I wouldn't say I hated it, just didn't enjoy it much (if at all). The setting didn't appeal to me, none of the characters (other than voodoo lady) were particularly memorable, and I really struggled to drive anywhere due to the excessive motion blur. It did have pretty great music though.

I'm fairly sure that was switch offable.

I loved the setting, much more than SA.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Banned
    I gave up watching the credits after twenty minutes. So long.

Also I read something interesting about the unholy threesome of the GTAV characters but I forget where, but basically it said that Franklin is representative of what previous GTA games were, Michael is what GTAV has strived to become (and succeeded IMO) and Trevor is how an awful lot of people play GTA.

Who has done the final big heist mission then? I went for subtle and it worked a treat. Ended up being one of the easiest missions in game. I am going to go back and do the obvious method though.

Looking forward to spending the cash in game though and collecting the last of the businesses etc and sourcing an F16. I've done the story and a lot of the activities but I don't feel like I've explored the game enough yet. Collecting the UFO pieces will give me ample opportunity for that though.

Just finished the game. I gotta say, the final mission was very satisfying. Fuck Westin, Stretch, Haines and the chinaman.

I approached all the heists via the subtle route. I still haven't done much of the collectibles, about 3 submarine parts, 2 UFO parts, one nuclear waste, and about 9 of the Leonora Jonson notes.

Trevor offering to suck the kidney stones out of a strangers' cock just happened.

The heist in the country is awesome. Really enjoying the game so far.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    "GTA totally deserves to be recognized as an icon of modern British culture, and we're thrilled to be able to feature the game in the record books," Guinness World Records Editor-in-Chief, Craig Glenday, said in a prepared statement.

This made me think... when will we get a GTA not set in America?

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    "GTA totally deserves to be recognized as an icon of modern British culture, and we're thrilled to be able to feature the game in the record books," Guinness World Records Editor-in-Chief, Craig Glenday, said in a prepared statement.

This made me think... when will we get a GTA not set in America?
    Already have GTA London, but I think logical step would be for Rockstar to move in that direction.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    GTA 3+ not set in America :)

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    The offline stock market turns out to be rather disappointing.....
    Oh my god. I have never been more bored by anything GTA related and this is by no means a criticism of your explanation. It's just... stocks. I just expected it to be more of the type which holds your rifle/shotgun steady.