Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar

Hey Einstein, help me think about my machine!

So here's my situation:

So, I have a computer that contains a GTX 460 and an AMD Phenom II 955 processor, and some other stuff.

It's been fine for a couple of years, but it's starting to show its age a bit.

I think I'm going to upgrade to a GTX 760 it seems like a good deal, supports Phys-X, I'd rather stick to Nvdia for now.

My questions:

• Is the processor going to become a problematic bottleneck for gaming at that point? It's seemed fine so far, and I'd rather not switch to an I7 and a new mobo just yet.
    • Is it worth an extra sixty dollars for a 4 gb version of the 760? Like actually really worth it?

Thanks, gang.

I have the same GPU as you, and about 6 months ago upgraded to a Radeon 7870 Myst Edition (with Pitcairn LE GPU,) which the benchies seem to indicate is a few % less potent than the 760. I'd say if you have a good amount of RAM (I have 8GB) it won't be held back by your processor. On this topic Anandtech did an interesting article back in June which shows that older gen quad core CPU's don't hold back performance in games except CPU heavy ones like Civ5 and Football Manager, and even then the losses weren't huge:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6934/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-single-multigpu-at-1440p

The 4GB version won't make much difference in anything you play right now, but might do longer term. Not sure it's worth 60 notes though.

Thanks for the reply!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't think you'll see much benefit from >2Gb RAM now - you might in the future but 60 is a lot, I'd say "no".

Your GTX460 supports PhysX too BTW - and I understand and support your choice of nVidia BUT PhysX isn't really the main driving force behind a card choice surely!?

I have a 650 Ti Boost because it's the best card for the money - if AMD made something as-good at the price I'd have had that instead.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I have a 650 Ti Boost because it's the best card for the money - if AMD made something as-good at the price I'd have had that instead.
    They do, the 7850. The prices fluctuate, so sometimes one is a better buy than the other and sometimes it's the other way around.

By the way, AMD seem to be close to launching their next generation of GPUs. You might consider waiting a few weeks. Even if you decide not to go AMD, Nvidia may drop their prices to compete with the new stuff from AMD.

Your GTX460 supports PhysX too BTW - and I understand and support your choice of nVidia BUT PhysX isn't really the main driving force behind a card choice surely!?
    No, that'd be dumb. It's more of an icing on the cake situation. I think they do a better job with drivers and I've heard fewer bad stories about them. Not to say AMD is bad. They both put out very good and very similar products.

@Sakkura - thanks, probably worth seeing how this shakes out

Can someone please post a link to RPS article about mechanical keyboards?
    P.S. what is a good mechanical keyboard?

I don't think you'll see much benefit from >2Gb RAM now - you might in the future but 60 is a lot, I'd say "no".

Physix is pretty tough on your graphics card though - a GTX470 would be fine for running Physix on its own with another card providing the graphics, but trying to use "high" settings on any recent game would murder your framerate.

I actually DID chose Nvidia over AMD at least partly due to Physix, though, so my opinion might be suspect ;-)