Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Calling trolls/bigots/-ists, or whatever, bad names and engaging in shit flinging competitions doesn't make them go away either... Usually makes them even more prevalent.
    On recent evidence, talking about things they want you to shut up about is what makes them more prevalent.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Banned
    So please, people, gather round...

...and will somebody tell me how I'm bigoted, y'know, properly, without just pointing out that I disagree with their perfect and holy opinions or that they got upset by words on the internet?

Tell me why I should be on the secret little list passed around between the super special snowflakes of the forum?

I refer to my comments the original HLM2 controversy thread if you want some evidence to repost. The ones about my experiences with rape victims might help.

Other than calling Quanta out on either his crush or rabid fanboyism for that particular member of the RPS crew and calling out that Cara article for utter codswallop and slaying the obvious whiteknights that came around with a picture that got them mad, what exactly have I done?

Mostly on this forum, I just try to talk about games and get people together who want to play games together and maybe attempt protect people from wasting their money.

The bigoted us-and-them-mentality people are the ones who have gone and got themselves banned, hopefully to never return.

They are the real trolls of the RPS forum which derail the conversation into why they are always right, why everybody else's ideas are shit with walls upon walls of text, they are the people who scare off newcomers; of whatever ethnicity or gender they identify as and turn this place into the cesspool it is now. They are the ones who rail off expletives and get emotional while the rest of us just call it as we see it.

I regard everything thats happened over the past few days on RPS as VICTORY for the gamers of Rock Paper Shotgun who want to talk about games and not hear about who is right and who is wrong constantly or have topics derailed completely.

Good riddance to those that have been banned because they contribute nothing to the forum other than the swelling of their own egos.

If they want to talk with their select little committee of people who think exactly like they do I suggest they use an instant messaging program instead of demanding everyone who contributes to the RPS forum be vetted by their impossible standards.

And once you've wasted the time to read this, go and play a game. Any game. Just play it and enjoy it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
    Oh I see. I tend to stay out of rape arguments, and humour arguments.

Interesting article (especially the statistics on rape), but it does seem to use fuzzy logic to suggest that rape jokes are what make rapists think everyone rapes.

I think people should have the right to make (general, and not specifically aimed) rape jokes, but I don't see why anyone would ever make one on a games forum? I certainly don't see them popping up on other forums, though I do see some on reddit (juvenile userbase?).
    The scary thing is that, according to the science papers the article links to (and there's many more besides, it's commonly accepted knowledge among the people who help rape survivors), that fuzzy logic, however fuzzy, is true. Because rapists do have some fuzzy logic. If they indeed have it at all. Don't be alarmed if it seems weird. It's weird to me as well. Probably because we're not rapists.

Indeed, they are not made here on RPS. The issue came up because some guy at E3 did in public, towards a woman he was playing some fighting game with. We did have a guy here who went out of his way to find a situation where in "rape is acceptable", because of me saying that rape is an indefensible crime, but I think he got banned. He ain't around anymore.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 29-09-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    stuff
    We all know who you are. Nice try pretending you're not.

Well, at least we've confirmed that this is definitely sending the wrong message now, eh?
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    We all know who you are. Nice try pretending you're not.
    Nice way to not really make a point or argue anything.

You should leave too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Other than calling Quanta out on either his crush or rabid fanboyism for that particular member of the RPS crew and calling out that Cara article for utter codswallop and slaying the obvious whiteknights that came around with a picture that got them mad, what exactly have I done?

Mostly on this forum, I just try to talk about games and get people together who want to play games together and maybe attempt protect people from wasting their money.
    @ Patrick

The stuff you mentioned before (ie the stuff the isn't covered in your mostly), such as "calling Quanta out" is really just stirring up trouble and trying to rile him up. If you "just wanted to talk about games" (paraphrasing) you wouldn't have bothered with doing so as it has;

a) Got sweet bugger all to do with gaming
    b) Highly likely to result in him being defensive - resulting in yet more talking about things that aren't gaming

Regardless of your opinions (I couldn't recall many of them before this latest thread but for the record I don't think the link Faldrath posted puts you in a very good light) if you do genuinely just want to talk about gaming then perhaps you should practice what you preach, or at the very least not act all holier than thou about your intentions to do so when your posting has directly led to the contrary of what you claim to desire.

Hey patrick.

Thank you so much for making clear to me, that your comments on white knightery had nothing to do with me personally.

I believe there exists a situation where a hormonal person might urge to protect someone of the opposite sex from harm (aka "white knighting"), however, given your past and further comments, I am convinced that you are not, in fact, trying to convince us of this fact, more that you're trying to block people that dont agree with you, with a sexist argument no less (women need to be saved + men are so fragile in the head they only need to save women), as we clearly gave you more than enough counter points that werent in favour of cara, but in favour of what she wrote.

So by the power vested in me, go away.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

(also, just to make it clear, I'm not starmatt! We just share an avatar)
    And a taste for great piece of music from the 70's, but that's a secret.
    Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starmatt View Post
    And a taste for great piece of music from the 70's, but that's a secret.
    One of you gentlemen ought to mirror it so we can tell the difference :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    I was typing a reply while all this happened, but it wouldn't be appropriate to post it now that Swayze can't reply. So...

@starmatt: did you see the new Crimson line-up? I'm excited!

@Grizzly: there's someone who posts in the main site, but not here, that actually has a photoshopped version of this cover that turns it into a laughing face... it's brilliant! I've never been able to find that by googling, unfortunately, or I'd definitely use that.
    Last edited by Faldrath; 29-09-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Hey patrick.

Thank you so much for making clear to me, that your comments on white knightery had nothing to do with me personally.

I believe there exists a situation where a hormonal person might urge to protect someone of the opposite sex from harm (aka "white knighting"), however, given your past and further comments, I am convinced that you are not, in fact, trying to convince us of this fact, more that you're trying to block people that dont agree with you, with a sexist argument no less (women need to be saved + men are so fragile in the head they only need to save women), as we clearly gave you more than enough counter points that werent in favour of cara, but in favour of what she wrote.

So by the power vested in me, go away.
    Without ever diving into the arguments erupting around certain hot-topics on this forum, I've been following a few threads and am curious about the recent wave of bans that have been handed out by, I'm assuming, Quanta himself. The posts by Nalano and Swayze had no inherently malicious content so why ban them now, and without even giving your specific reasons to do so? I believe forum members have a right to know what's being policed and why people are being silenced for opposing popular opinions on this forum?

read some of the older threads in this subforum.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

there's someone who posts in the main site, but not here, that actually has a photoshopped version of this cover that turns it into a laughing face... it's brilliant!
    Are you talking about the inside art work? (careful, large file)
    Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurrah View Post
    Without ever diving into the arguments erupting around certain hot-topics on this forum, I've been following a few threads and am curious about the recent wave of bans that have been handed out by, I'm assuming, Quanta himself. The posts by Nalano and Swayze had no inherently malicious content so why ban them now, and without even giving your specific reasons to do so? I believe forum members have a right to know what's being policed and why people are being silenced for opposing popular opinions on this forum?
    Well, Nalano and Swayze are on rather opposed sides of the "popular opinions" you are most likely referring to so it's hardly looking like a conspiracy hatchet job, whether it's a hatchet job aside for a moment.

I would also point out that explicit maliciousness is not the only for of unexcellancy. Futher, the two recent bans (and the slew of infractions in the Cara thread) have actually been well explained. Whether you agree with those explanations is another matter, but as per heated discussion rather recently in a thead about transparency, more information has been given as these things happen.

Things are a bit of a mess right now any way you slice it. Hopefully these are growing pains and not signs of ... I don't know, something degenerative like Multiple-Sclerosis.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    The scary thing is that, according to the science papers the article links to (and there's many more besides, it's commonly accepted knowledge among the people who help rape survivors), that fuzzy logic, however fuzzy, is true. Because rapists do have some fuzzy logic. If they indeed have it at all. Don't be alarmed if it seems weird. It's weird to me as well. Probably because we're not rapists.
    The problem is that the anti-rape-joke campaigners seem to also be running on fuzzy logic. Sure, maybe it's true that hearing people laugh at rape jokes will make a potential rapist think is rape is common and normal. But if that's the case, then surely shouting out statistics about how 1 in 20 college-aged men admit to having raped someone also isn't helping. The level of cognitive dissonance in that article is amazing. "Rape jokes are bad because they make rapists feel like rape is a common thing, and that's a problem because we have statistics that show that rape is a common thing which means there are lots of rapists that will be re-assured by rape jokes that rape is a common thing, which we don't want, even though it is, and we want you to know that.

Still, this whole forum thing eh?

Honestly it seems to be working as intended, there have just been a few issues with communication. It seems:

1) A system of infractions and allowing moderators to temp ban was introduced, unannounced.
    2) Nalano gets a bunch of infractions from a few threads, which are noted in his posts.
    3) Some other people get infractions in the Cara thread, that are noted in their posts.
    4) Swayzee gets infractions for his behaviour in the Cara thread, by a different moderator, that doesn't note it in his posts.
    5) Nalano gets banned when he gets a final infraction in a different thread by Quanta.
    6) Quanta can't resist bragging about Nalano taking some time off directly to him in the Cara thread, making it look like he had banned him for that post, and hence making Quanta look like a moron as he'd previously refused to get involved in moderating that thread as he was directly involved.

That's what actually happened, but to the average observer reading the Cara thread, Nalano got banned while nothing happened to Swayzee, and some other people got 'infractions' which people didn't really understand.

So: system working as intended, but you need to talk more - maybe a sticky in the rules thread explaining what infractions are and how they relate to bans. Plus infractions need to all be given visibly, or all be given invisibly (which is probably better) - it can't be different mods doing it different ways.

I don't think there's a problem other than communication here. Sure, Nalano got himself banned quicker than Swayzee, but that's just because Nalano was saying more in more different places. It's just we haven't had a "build up infractions then get temp banned" system before, and you kinda need to explain it first.

Well, and aside from me calling nalano a cunt, which was grossly out of line.

Problem is that I view not reacting to a personal insult with mod powers as a thing every mod should do, but I guess I was counting too much on other mods to react to stuff happening in that thread - without actually communicating that with them.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Problem is that I view not reacting to a personal insult with mod powers as a thing every mod should do, but I guess I was counting too much on other mods to react to stuff happening in that thread - without actually communicating that with them.
    And you're right that you probably shouldn't be infracting people who have a personal issue with you - unless it's clear that they're breaking the rules in which case you may be justified (so long as you didn't get involved in the argument to begin with). But the proper course of action is just don't respond to the insult. Again, you're a mod - like it or not you sit above the rest of the forum and are held to different standards. Tell him to knock it off, tell him you don't like it, tell him it's against the rules. Slinging insults right back? That's hypocritical. If it was two members doing that, both would get slapped.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    1) A system of infractions and allowing moderators to temp ban was introduced, unannounced.
    2) Nalano gets a bunch of infractions from a few threads, which are noted in his posts.
    3) Some other people get infractions in the Cara thread, that are noted in their posts.
    4) Swayzee gets infractions for his behaviour in the Cara thread, by a different moderator, that doesn't note it in his posts.
    5) Nalano gets banned when he gets a final infraction in a different thread by Quanta.
    6) Quanta can't resist bragging about Nalano taking some time off directly to him in the Cara thread, making it look like he had banned him for that post, and hence making Quanta look like a moron as he'd previously refused to get involved in moderating that thread as he was directly involved.

That's what actually happened, but to the average observer reading the Cara thread, Nalano got banned while nothing happened to Swayzee, and some other people got 'infractions' which people didn't really understand.

So: system working as intended, but you need to talk more - maybe a sticky in the rules thread explaining what infractions are and how they relate to bans. Plus infractions need to all be given visibly, or all be given invisibly (which is probably better) - it can't be different mods doing it different ways.

I don't think there's a problem other than communication here. Sure, Nalano got himself banned quicker than Swayzee, but that's just because Nalano was saying more in more different places. It's just we haven't had a "build up infractions then get temp banned" system before, and you kinda need to explain it first.
    Good post. I'd add that I'd like mods to endeavor to move meta-mod discussion out of threads where moderation occurs under pain of having such discussion edited out of your post. That's what this sub-forum is for. That eventually happened, but it took a bit and Quanta engaged meta-moderation discussion more than I'd like in the Cara thread.

More communication, more practice. I don't think we're on a doomsday course.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

And that's another thread which is not producing any excellence.