Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karrius View Post
    dude, it is a colloquial phrase, referring to the fact that you are defending tei. There is nothing indicating that you were defending any transphobes before tei. Just that you are defending the guy who literally claimed he wants the right to make fun of trans people for being trans and lesbians for being lesbians.
    No, No, No. Where are the posts. I want to see these posts. You said I keep defending transphobes. I'm not even defending transphobes in this thread. Your post did not relate to the contents of this thread. How am I therefore defending transphobes? Let alone do I apparently have a record for doing so? Where are the posts that back up this assertion of yours?
    Last edited by Kadayi; 20-09-2013 at 12:43 AM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Network Hub
    They were deleted because they were off-topic. Thank you for proving that the RPS forums are trash where people leap to Gabe's defense, and claim that literally saying "I hate you" isn't being hateful, that mocking and belittling people is OK, and it's ok to say you want to make fun of people for being trans in the name of free speech, but god forbid you call anybody on it - then you're a bad person.

I'm done. Score another victory for the bigots. Go have your little party.

Kad, fucks sake, reduce your font size.

Karrius has been pretty clear what he's talking about, posting in 50zillion font size isn't going to get a different result.
    Last edited by RobF; 20-09-2013 at 12:29 AM.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Quote Originally Posted by Karrius View Post
    They were deleted because they were off-topic. Thank you for proving that the RPS forums are trash where people leap to Gabe's defense, and claim that literally saying "I hate you" isn't being hateful, that mocking and belittling people is OK, and it's ok to say you want to make fun of people for being trans in the name of free speech, but god forbid you call anybody on it - then you're a bad person.

I'm done. Score another victory for the bigots. Go have your little party.
    So now you're accusing me of supporting Gabe PA and being a bigot? Where does it end? Maybe you can go find those posts as well whilst you're digging out the ones where I'm defending transphobes.

@RobF

He deserves to be called out for it. I don't take spurious accusations like that lightly at all. The fact that he doesn't even have the basic courtesy to apologize, but would rather throw more accusations at me is pitiful. But lets not forget he's 'a decent human being'
    Last edited by Kadayi; 20-09-2013 at 12:42 AM.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    So now you're accusing me of supporting Gabe PA and being a bigot? Where does it end? Maybe you can go find those posts as well whilst you're digging out the ones where I'm defending transphobes.
    It never ends.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Drumhead

Last edited by Tei; 20-09-2013 at 12:41 AM.
    Abandoned PC gaming for good. Now rest in a better place. psn:Teikman

Network Hub
    I'm only posting because you're again accusing me of stuff I didn't say. I told you what a deleted post said, and cannot magically make text I did not delete appear out of thin air, while all that OTHER bullshit goes by uncommented. You're going on a rage against me because I am pointing out that the guy who is going on about how "Everybody says bad stuff sometimes" literally said he thinks people should be made fun of for who they are. No, I can't prove it, because the post was DELETED. I don't know what you want me to do. Not point out that the guy who said those things is a total fucking jerk? No. But sorry, he said those things, and I called him on it.

I'm sorry I don't have magical powers over the internet. I'm sorry my lack of superhuman sorcery inconveniences you.

I'm only posting because you're again accusing me of stuff I didn't say.
    You mean this stuff?: -

Thank you for proving that the RPS forums are trash where people leap to Gabe's defense, and claim that literally saying "I hate you" isn't being hateful, that mocking and belittling people is OK, and it's ok to say you want to make fun of people for being trans in the name of free speech, but god forbid you call anybody on it - then you're a bad person.
    Stuff that, now you're saying you didn't say? That stuff?

Seems pretty cut and dried to me, that you did in fact say that stuff to me.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 20-09-2013 at 12:56 AM.

Probable Replicant

Network Hub
    The first part of the paragraph is what other people did. The last part of the paragraph - attacking me for calling people on stuff - is what you did. The construction is "All this shit happens, and if you dare to say something, you will be attacked". Is that clear, or should I try to use a bigger font and smaller words?

Edit: For the sake of Nalano's thread, I am ending here, and will not be replying any more. Continue to make up whatever bizarre fantasies you have, but I refuse to allow being pulled into a screaming match with you to cause this thread to be locked.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    "How bigoted can I be?" is not a fruitful line of inquiry.

Neither is being a self-righteous prick refusing to discuss something another person considers a valid concern. In fact, it is pretty much the definition of bigot.

If i understood your post wrong and you didn't call me a bigot, then my apologies, disregard this reply.

The first part of the paragraph is what other people did. The last part of the paragraph - attacking me for calling people on stuff - is what you did. The construction is "All this shit happens, and if you dare to say something, you will be attacked". Is that clear, or should I try to use a bigger font and smaller words
    Well you could try apologizing, but I suspect that's somehow beyond you given your abundant fervour to condemn everyone here wholesale, make spurious false accusations and refuse to recognise your own transgressions. But you are 'a decent human being' at the end of the day.

Back on topic: -

Personally I'm not into forced consensus. It smacks a little too much of group think for my liking. I think banning is justifiable where an individual proves to be more trouble than they're worth in terms of what positives they bring to the forum though. I'm honestly hard pressed to think of one positive to say about Mohorovicic, so no objections to that removal, but then bans are only going to occur if people report posts because Jim doesn't have the time to read every thread, but as an informal survey of a few regulars revealed a while back, a lot of people don't use the report function. It's there for a purpose.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 20-09-2013 at 01:20 AM.

Probable Replicant

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherPazzo View Post
    Neither is being a self-righteous prick refusing to discuss something another person considers a valid concern. In fact, it is pretty much the definition of bigot.

If i understood your post wrong and you didn't call me a bigot, then my apologies, disregard this reply.
    If you find yourself wanting to post something that is borderline bigoted, you should direct inquiries inward: Not "where is the line," but "why do I feel the need to cross the line?"
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    If you find yourself wanting to post something that is borderline bigoted, you should direct inquiries inward: Not "where is the line," but "why do I feel the need to cross the line?"

Again, you are missing the point. Something you consider borderline bigoted, could very well be not for another person, and viceversa. As in the question "why do i feel the need to cross the line?" can't be, because the line isn't perceived to be there to begin with.

So no, it's not an inquiry someone should direct inward, when the judgement is passed by someone that could very well, and legitemately, have a different notion of the matter.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Locking a thread outright is bad.

Locking a thread after 15 pages of flamewar, where no one even remembers what it is all about and who they are responding to is simple housekeeping.
    There's a problem with this line of thinking.

It means that a derail is easy in terms of being a tool of covering the tracks of people who do perpetuate completely horrible beliefs. You can manufacture stupidity artificially completely for the sake of forcing a derail or flame war and thus you can get around having to confront the issue in the first place.

It's like the forum equivalent of a filibuster, really. The problem doesn't go away, and the presence of a flame war usually means there's something contained that needs addressing rather than a thread that needs locking.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherPazzo View Post
    Again, you are missing the point. Something you consider borderline bigoted, could very well be not for another person, and viceversa. As in the question "why do i feel the need to cross the line?" can't be, because the line isn't perceived to be there to begin with.
    If your concept of generally-accepted boundaries is so off-kilter that the line isn't even perceived by you, then this system is needed more than ever.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Something you consider borderline bigoted, could very well be not for another person

Well, yes. You gave one such example yourself, with the PA guy's comments on trans people. Here's the thing though. That discussion, and many others like it (there are a bunch of such comments on the PAX article) essentially consists of a bunch of non-trans people discussing whether trans people exist, or have a right to. As a trans woman, I have no interest in debating my existence or right to exist, and feel that people who do have already crossed the line into bigotry. It's not an academic concern. I'd suggest that, with just a little thought and empathy, this line is actually pretty obvious. If you're questioning someone else's right to exist, you've crossed it.

(I'm aware that this is also an issue for other groups/communities - there is currently a very dispiriting 'debate' in the UK media concerning the niqab, which is notable for seemingly involving no Muslim women whatsoever - but for obvious reasons I'm particularly concerned with how it affects trans people)

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by moth bones View Post
    Something you consider borderline bigoted, could very well be not for another person

If you're questioning someone else's right to exist, you've crossed it.

Between these two I really think this is why the discussions go nowhere.

If you take a borderline comment that some people see as on one side and the other see on the other side and turn it into some thing as dire as someone else's right to exist, then there is no rational conversation to be had between the two parties. I hardly think that is the case.

I have read a only bit on this and the entire story really seems to be a storm in a tea cup. The sad part is that there might be rational educational discussions at PAX that a blog might reasonably limit their coverage to, but instead RPS is going to be putting out fires here for a week as a lack of information and swarming opinions combine to require some locking.

This boycott has no actual change as its focus... it is simply finger pointing.
    Last edited by Misnomer; 20-09-2013 at 02:46 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    I'm going to read it all but when it starts with a sweeping generalization like "Zoom out to the 40-year scale, though, and it starts to resemble the story of an entire generation of men" ... that's when the little red flags start popping up all over my brain.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by moth bones View Post

Well, yes. You gave one such example yourself, with the PA guy's comments on trans people. Here's the thing though. That discussion, and many others like it (there are a bunch of such comments on the PAX article) essentially consists of a bunch of non-trans people discussing whether trans people exist, or have a right to. As a trans woman, I have no interest in debating my existence or right to exist, and feel that people who do have already crossed the line into bigotry. It's not an academic concern. I'd suggest that, with just a little thought and empathy, this line is actually pretty obvious. If you're questioning someone else's right to exist, you've crossed it.

(I'm aware that this is also an issue for other groups/communities - there is currently a very dispiriting 'debate' in the UK media concerning the niqab, which is notable for seemingly involving no Muslim women whatsoever - but for obvious reasons I'm particularly concerned with how it affects trans people)
    I'm sorry but i can't accept this. Nobody's talking about "the line" being the right to exist or not, ffs.

Between "right to exist" and "is a specific thing offensive and in which terms" there's a whole lot of space.

If this difference can't be grasped i really see no point taking part in any discussion.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
    I'm going to read it all but when it starts with a sweeping generalization like "Zoom out to the 40-year scale, though, and it starts to resemble the story of an entire generation of men" ... that's when the little red flags start popping up all over my brain.
    Finished reading it and... umm.. everybody is hopping on the clickbait train these days.

You'd be forgiven for thinking that this is all just the recurrence of a stubbornly persistent gender divide — of straight men refusing to meet anyone else halfway because, even two centuries after Mary Wollstonecraft, it is still pretty much a man's man's man's world
    It may be that an inability or unwillingness to see outside of the context of male social prerogatives is a consistent feature of our cultural history, but the version we're most likely to encounter these days was shaped by a generation of men who, like Tycho, Gabe and their creators, were born in the decade or so after 1975....

...they've staked out some of the venues that mattered to them most as young men: movies, comic books, video games, the internet.
    "They need not bat an eye at a casual reference to rape, in no small part because rape victims are about nine times less likely to be men than women. They could probably manage the empathetic leap needed in order to see outside their own context, but to do so would compromise their claim on the venue.

To a Tycho or a Gabe, part of what makes those venues specifically theirs is the freedom to deal flippantly and without apology with troubles that most of them will never have to face directly. "

So a female writer telling any male between 28 and 38 years old that they are too old for their toys and they need to start acting like responsible adults. And in the process connecting it to male privilege and other feminist concepts that may or may not apply at all to transgender.

This is going to go well...

Goodbye rational games community for the next couple days or weeks.
    Last edited by Misnomer; 20-09-2013 at 03:08 AM.