Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar

Steam for cats to be revealed in 3 days, Valve wants you to help design it

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014
    Last year, we shipped a software feature called Big Picture, a user-interface tailored for televisions and gamepads.
    This year we’ve been working on even more ways to connect the dots for customers who want Steam in the living-room.
    Soon, we’ll be adding you to our design process, so that you can help us shape the future of Steam.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    3 days? Half-Life 3 confirmed.

Cats have (halve?) 9 lives. 9 is 3^2. The root word of Living (Room) is Life. Doubly confirmed!
    I take photos of space and talk about it sometimes: http://ofspaceandthings.tumblr.com Also, I am making a game for which there is a development log: http://elegythegame.tumblr.com/

Also the controller has three buttons.
    Triple (3!!!!) confirmed

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    That's great and all GABEN but what I really need is Steam for my kitchen.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Reading around, announcements that fit would be Steambox, Source 2 and then L4D3.

The fact they said "connect the dots" in that release means to me there's a 99% chance we'll see some sort of Steambox. The other two, I got nothing on.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    CardboardBox confirmed.

Make you own steambox out of cardboard.

edit:
    "Big Picture os" ?, a PC based console that boot by default on big picture, and use linux.

Last edited by Tei; 20-09-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Reading around, announcements that fit would be Steambox, Source 2 and then L4D3.

The fact they said "connect the dots" in that release means to me there's a 99% chance we'll see some sort of Steambox. The other two, I got nothing on.
    SteamBox, Steam for PS4, Steam for Android (as in Android games)

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    CardboardBox confirmed.

Make you own steambox out of cardboard.
    At this point I'll be disappointed if it's not something for cats.
    I really hate teasers.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    I would be more excited about a Steambox if it weren't for the fact that, even with Big Picture mode and a wireless keyboard/mouse combo (for the best control scheme possible), a lot of the games I prefer to play are going to be borderline unplayable on a TV because of the UI. If I want to play TV-focused games such as what often appears on consoles rather than, say, games like Civ and Crusader Kings, well...that's partly why I own a PS3.

Now a Steambox that approaches hardware in a very modular way, such that swapping in a new graphics card is as simple as swapping an NES cartridge (God I'm old)? That lets me hook into a monitor as easily as a TV and stresses versatility over "connecting the dots between the living room" or whatever? They can have all my money in that scenario.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Half life 3 as Steam box exclusive ;)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    I would be more excited about a Steambox if it weren't for the fact that, even with Big Picture mode and a wireless keyboard/mouse combo (for the best control scheme possible), a lot of the games I prefer to play are going to be borderline unplayable on a TV because of the UI. If I want to play TV-focused games such as what often appears on consoles rather than, say, games like Civ and Crusader Kings, well...that's partly why I own a PS3.

Now a Steambox that approaches hardware in a very modular way, such that swapping in a new graphics card is as simple as swapping an NES cartridge (God I'm old)? That lets me hook into a monitor as easily as a TV and stresses versatility over "connecting the dots between the living room" or whatever? They can have all my money in that scenario.
    I don't understand. Monitors these are mostly just 1080p lcd tvs with the tv tuner removed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karaquazian View Post
    I don't understand. Monitors these are mostly just 1080p lcd tvs with the tv tuner removed.
    The theory is that having a larger monitor farther away from you is different than having a smaller monitor closer to you.

While I don't deny there are some games where this can be problematic, I am going to argue those are more about games with shitty interfaces than anything else.

Also: I can attest to the fact that playing a Civ on the TV is awesome. Not the kind of thing your family/friends will appreciate, but it IS fun and works great.

For me, personally, if the Steambox is affordable and supports streaming for the higher-end games I might very well get one (not first wave though) as I like the idea of shifting most of my computering to the TV room anyway, but there is still some stuff that (for me) can only be done from the comfort of a chair while wearing headphones and looking at a screen that is way too close to my face (coding and very atmospheric games).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Banned
    TF3: Son of hat
    L4D3: We ain't done with zombies yet
    CS2: This time we get it right

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    3 days? Half-Life 3 confirmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Splynter View Post
    Cats have (halve?) 9 lives. 9 is 3^2. The root word of Living (Room) is Life. Doubly confirmed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Also the controller has three buttons.
    Triple (3!!!!) confirmed
    I can't help it... That Cat also has three whiskers, and cat is a three letter word (!!!) - Pentuple Confirmed!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Regarding the UI issues of games designed for monitors -- I haven't tried playing things on a TV for a few years now, but my brother makes $6,000/month from his own home I didn't believe it at first either was recently complaining about not being able to read the chat in TF2 from the couch, and about having no option for increasing font size except decreasing resolution.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    TVs also tend to have horrendous latency.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So do people sitting on sofas playing the sort of games which work in that situation - so that's fine then... ;)

Banned
    Most TV's have gaming modes.

I've probably spent more on TV's than PC's in the past two years.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Depends on what model you buy. A friend of mine just spent far more time than he should have researching the perfect TV to buy based on things like latency and the like.

And, as mentioned, many TVs have "Game mode" to further decrease latency.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.