Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1000
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Steam A
    $395 (newegg pricing) + Case/PSU + Mobo + Controller

Seems reasonable

I wonder how well Dual Cores with hyperthreading will hold up for the present and future. On a pure gaming machine with limited overhead, they could work. Seems the min specs for the past year big titles were at 2.5 GHZ+ core 2 duo. Of course you want to play the game on the TV at least by 720p with consistent 30fps.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Steam A
    $395 (newegg pricing) + Case/PSU + Mobo + Controller

Seems reasonable

I wonder how well Dual Cores with hyperthreading will hold up for the present and future. On a pure gaming machine with limited overhead, they could work. Seems the min specs for the past year big titles were at 2.5 GHZ+ core 2 duo. Of course you want to play the game on the TV at least by 720p with consistent 30fps.
    Sir, this is a PC gaming forum and those terms are dirty around here.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Thing is, you could just get a console which will exceed that and have a much longer lifespan. We won't really know how things will pan out until the new console generation is firmly established but I'd wager that dual cores won't remain competitive for very long.

And although SteamOS is geared towards gaming, it's still not that minimalist approach that would level the playing field when it comes to overhead. The ability to target a single hardware profile to push optimisations shouldn't be underestimated, and in the PC sector with two major GPU devs pushing their own platforms that's not going to happen here.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

So more machines coming to light. 13 of them here .

There's an awful lot of machine there with a price tag well over $1000, a couple are undecided on price and only two look to be in the console price range. Some are missing a lot of details too, not sure if that's the fault of the manufacturer or the site reporting.

One thing looks clear though. The idea of bringing PC gaming into the living room at a competitive affordable price seems to have flown right over the heads of the majority of these steam box manufacturers, who are instead opting for an Alienware style OTT price tag.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That ususally happens with most "new" things. First sales are over the top for price as there is no competition so no incentive to price correctly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Thing is, you could just get a console which will exceed that and have a much longer lifespan. We won't really know how things will pan out until the new console generation is firmly established but I'd wager that dual cores won't remain competitive for very long.

And although SteamOS is geared towards gaming, it's still not that minimalist approach that would level the playing field when it comes to overhead. The ability to target a single hardware profile to push optimisations shouldn't be underestimated, and in the PC sector with two major GPU devs pushing their own platforms that's not going to happen here.
    That is the big concern, due to console subsidy. I wonder if Valve would ever give the Steam box makers some kickback for the first 20 games bought from their boxes? Or they just still subsidize them.

My PS4 will have a 5-8 year life and games will keep getting better and better looking. $500 Steam Box will output at 720p medium settings on new titles and its performance will slowly degrade over the next 1-5 years.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The $500 Cyberpower its priced appropiately based on how much you can buy the parts yourself. Some of the other ones are well.... wow.

Scan—NC10 $1090 Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M Intel Core i3 4000M 8GB 500GB
    I just got a slim lightweight 15 inch laptop for $1399 that has the 765M but a Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ 2.4-3.4GHz and 750GB HDD. Oh and the 1080p IPS panel. That Steambox is priced like a laptop. and not that all powerful for the price.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Meh. My £700 pc will last me much longer than any PS3 and I've done 5 times as many things as I ever will with it. Price comparison of apples to oranges just leaves a bitter taste of lemons in the mouth... ;)

But comparing like for like (games consoles or PCs) can help. I'll agree most the Steamboxes are overpriced, but good to see some are reasonable. Thinks like the Ouya being overpriced killed it when the competition were offering £50-20 (though controller less in some instances) for similar Android HDMI devices.

Activated Node
    GTX 765M
    The mobile GPU makes it particularly insulting. Obviously they're much more concerned with design than functionality.

Unless you have money to burn, there are really two interesting things here: the controller and the streaming tech. And I don't believe we've seen the latter at all yet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think the Chromcast, Roku boxes for $100 or less to stream Steam games will be a popular device, paired with the controller.

Originally Posted by TechnicalBen
    Thinks like the Ouya being overpriced killed it when the competition were offering £50-20 (though controller less in some instances) for similar Android HDMI devices.

The thing that killed the Ouya was that it was completely pointless. Like I said when it was announced, it didn't have a market and it didn't have a purpose. Nobody else agreed that being able to play games designed for mobile phones on a TV was a good idea. The console that was supposed to be an indie paradise ended up being a pointless, occasionally buggy waste of money. There was no reason to release on the Ouya - if your game was designed for mobiles, it was inherently better on a mobile. If it couldn't be a mobile game, the Ouya wasn't a suitable platform anyway.

EDIT: On topic regarding the SteamBoxes - the cost is still absurd for a lot of them, and those that are more reasonably priced probably will lack the staying power for anything other than current PC gamers to bother with them. A console gamer isn't going to be too impressed when their PC's graphical fidelity degrades over time, while consoles tend to improve as their lifespan progresses (until they cap out). This initial lineup isn't impressive and still seems targeted at existing PC gamers... who aren't going to buy into this because why the hell would you? The most exciting ones are the streaming boxes.

Also is the edit function broken? It's less "edit this post" and more "wipe the post so you can type in a new one"
    Last edited by soldant; 08-01-2014 at 12:11 AM. Reason: When I was a boy, we had to eat our edited posts.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    The $500 Cyberpower its priced appropiately based on how much you can buy the parts yourself. Some of the other ones are well.... wow.

Scan—NC10 $1090 Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M Intel Core i3 4000M 8GB 500GB
    I just got a slim lightweight 15 inch laptop for $1399 that has the 765M but a Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ 2.4-3.4GHz and 750GB HDD. Oh and the 1080p IPS panel. That Steambox is priced like a laptop. and not that all powerful for the price.
    I got a very similar laptop for about the cost of that steam machine. It's one of those titanic 17" Asus affairs, which is a pain, and I had to find a special backpack just to fit the damn heat exchanger into the laptop sleeve ... but it's portable (though nothing on most laptops for portability :P) and at least as powerful as that steam machine. The graphics card probably isn't as good, but the processor is leagues ahead, I've got more hard drive pace, and it comes with it's own built-in screen.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardust’s Music Sounds Better With You. There’s lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context that’s cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post

EDIT: On topic regarding the SteamBoxes - the cost is still absurd for a lot of them, and those that are more reasonably priced probably will lack the staying power for anything other than current PC gamers to bother with them. A console gamer isn't going to be too impressed when their PC's graphical fidelity degrades over time, while consoles tend to improve as their lifespan progresses (until they cap out). This initial lineup isn't impressive and still seems targeted at existing PC gamers... who aren't going to buy into this because why the hell would you? The most exciting ones are the streaming boxes.

Also is the edit function broken? It's less "edit this post" and more "wipe the post so you can type in a new one"
    There's no reason to go with one of these over a more standard PC from one of the same companies, a mainstream PC company or a DIY PC. Laptops provide the advantage of being portable. These provide the advantage of ...
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardust’s Music Sounds Better With You. There’s lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context that’s cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    These provide the advantage of ...
    SteamOS.

*Snicker*

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Now when PC makers go with some design, we get more from Razer:

http://www.razerzone.com/christine

Network Hub
    Now when PC makers go with some design, we get more from Razer:

http://www.razerzone.com/christine
    You know, that could be a thing, if it was built in a way that you could just put off-the-shelve hardware into each of those modules and have it work. So it would be a case and a motherboard in one, pretty much.

But currently, they expect manufacturers (CPU, GPU, ...) to build whole modules (proprietary connectors and all) as it seems, and I don't see that happening. Even if Razer decides to pre-build these modules it'd come with a hefty premium. Pass.

Razer are only gauging interest with that thing. It's more of a concept computer, similar to the cars you see at autoshows that cost a couple of million to develop and they only made one of because they wanted their engineers to have a little fun and show off features that could be coming down the line.

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Make it all USB 5.0 or Lightning Bolt connectors and then we are talking. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The Razer smart bracelet actually looks interesting. Some features of a smarth watch, some of the fitness tracking bracelets.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    SteamOS beta has AMD and Intel driver support.