Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

A Very Hong Kong Style Theme Arcade Game Center in Japan

http://www.another-tokyo.com/archives/50509827.html

Sorry can't translate the article for you because I cannot read Japanese neither. I was referred to this article by another Chinese source. The theme should be very familiar for your guys. Yes, this is a very typical cyberpunk setting inspired by a very old Hong Kong venue called "Kowloon City". If you know (or you yourself are) someone who served in the Royal Hong Kong Police you must know this place infamous for all the crimes you can name of. Gambling, robbing, prostitution......

All cities have their slums I presume but this one has a unique historic background. When China, back then still in imperial time, ceded Kowloon to Britain sometime around 1860, Chinese government maintained a bureau at the northest spot of Kowloon as a presence of the remaining Chinese power, and this bureau was the "Kowloon City". When Britain finally leased New Territories in 1899, British authority also expelled the Chinese officials from the completely surrounded bureau. Yet for some reason, the British authority seemed reluctant to fill the power vacuum at this tiny spot, something to do with the International Law, I don't know. Anyway, for this reason Kongeses referred to this "Kowloon City" as "a place not being administered by the three powers", namely, the Chinese authority (expelled), the British authority, and the Hong Kong Colonial Government (actually shouldn't they count it as under the British authority?). As you can imagine, no criminals with their right mind will ignore this spot if they can make use of it. Result is, the "Kowloon City" became what it looks like in those photos, a dirty slum yet with some features. As part of the agreement to return Hong Kong to our sovereign in 1997, the British Hong Kong authority finally torn down the place in 1990s, restored law and order upon it, and over the site they built a park as a memorial to this little dark history.

But some Japaneses for some reason are quite obsessed with this piece of history (history only, I don't believe they would be willing to live in a place like that). The background might be old, but the arcade games in this game center seem very hit.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    This is kinda interesting, it has a post-apocalyptic feel to it.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

well Kowloon City is fucking awesome. It actually worked well till it was torn down.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Is this the new hip thing to do?

If by new and hip and you mean 5 years old, yes, it is.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Looks more like a haunted game center to me..

That's not planking (which is soooooo 2011), that's sideplanking which is a hip new thing that all the cool kids are doing in 2014.