Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Apologies, but to me it looked like you were. By putting the thread in the PS2 subforum and not the Arma one.

Lakroy did point out that we originally had the SWAT 4 thread (and still do) in the main Sub Forum. ARMA is a recent development, an off shoot from this. Okay we may have chosen the thread to use poorly (the one in the PS2 forums was put here as a lot of PS2 players don't read the main sub forum, so if we're going down the lines of cliques, we are one already). 50/50 chance which one we carried on using rather than posting everything twice.

Can we drop this topic now, it's ridiculous and starting to irritate me slightly.

I'm sure you know us all well enough by now Boris that we would happily accept anyone who wants to join and have repeatedly asked if people want to join us.

But if that's not welcome in these forums then I'm sure we can take our discussions elsewhere

No need to be mean, dude.

I'm just pointing out that a thread called play arma with giraffes in the ps2 subforum might be seen as a bit exclusionary to the people in the arma forum. No need to ream me over it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    I'm just pointing out that a thread called play arma with giraffes in the ps2 subforum might be seen as a bit exclusionary to the people in the arma forum. No need to ream me over it.
    I totally see your point but really no one is being excluded because don't like them, it's just a function of which forums people read. If something were posted in the arma forum it's excluding people who don't frequent that forum. We exclude some groups wherever we post.

If the FolkARPs people are feeling excluded they can join in but I think they'd probably also understand that it's not surprising that an existing bunch of gaming friends want to play new games together. Certainly if they were putting together their own PS2 outfit my attitude would be to let them be but perhaps get in touch with friendly advice in the way that Wolfenswan has kindly done in our own Arma thread.

Maybe the best approach here is if anyone who feels personally excluded raises the concern themselves. By raising the concern in the general case that someone else might feel excluded I think we're running a big risk of creating an issue where there isn't one.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So outfit chat tonight at 20:00 BST / 19:00 UTC, yes?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    I have to say, Ive found the threads about other games in this forum useful, because it means I can see which of the giraffes are playing other games. I dont think it interferes with the PS2 side of things at all.

I mean, I joined the PS2 group having not been part of the RPS community beforehand, so it is preferable to me to play games with the giraffes. That doesnt mean im not willing to play with other RPS people, but its certainly a nice way to try other things as a team.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I personally have an issue with proposing stuff and having opinions when I am not a very active member, but yeah, I guess I'll have a say.

Culling seems pointless. Recruiting is only meaningful if it makes people stay. That requires some effort, but in the end it depends to about 95% on the game.

I don't see any issues with forming cliques, but then I do think the RPS mantra of complete all-inclusiveness and NEVER being allowed EVER to form special friendships and that ALL comrades must be equal to eachother is nonsense. You form bonds with some, not with others, that is fine.

If some people prefer to play with eachother, what is the actual harm? I haven't joined up with FOLKARPS because their forum for Arma 3 is stone cold dead and I'm not that interested in playing Arma 2. I know that they have two nights a week with two hours of Arma 3 play, and I might join that, but my impression of their community was that it is quite inactive.. The Arma forum here is also dead and just links to them - talk about a clique. Hence I was quite happy to play with the giraffes as I as well already know them.

And a general say on the outfit in general that still hasn't changed one bit since I left - please decide more and talk less. This is something I generally have a problem with though, as I see the same issues in global issues and politics. Everyone wants to talk everything through. No one ever wants to actually do anything. Democratic inertia is very powerful, and in my view this outfit has suffered for it.

Just talk about stuff, discuss quickly, and decide. There is no point and nothing to gain from month long democratic processes as the outcome will be shit or it will just never happen. This endless talk without action was a major part in me not feeling the game any more. It was just too goddamn much chatter.

For example, culling: is there a point other then activity %? No, not really, but Ksempac has a point I guess. There are however other, less time consuming and excluding, ways to inform of the size of the outfit. So just do that instead then. Besides, anyone playing the game will realize this quickly.

edit: I saw that statsman HexPen already statsed up some graphs with activity. Just look at that instead. Much easier then culling hundreds of inactive people.

edit2: I think the outfit might grow quite a bit with the optimization patches. I now remember lots and lots of people during call to arms asking about performance boosts where my response generally was "the game just kinda runs like shit"...
    Last edited by RIDEBIRD; 09-10-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    Find me on the Steams

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    The RPs outfit is not dead, dying or ill at all. 1-2 squads up at non ops nights is very respectable. We of RTRS are happy if we reach 6 people. 20 people on an ops night is what we had for most of our excistance, and we manage it nicely.
    Well, this is an issue with different expectations. RPS is very much casual, and there's lots of different people playing every night (read: the core group is not as consistent as with RTRS). Also, we kinda suck at the smaller scale stuff. RPS has always been an outfit that had three to four squads up a night. In other words, we could pretty much choose where and how we fight. With two squads, it's a lot of selective redeployments and avoidance just because we can't take on a group of 24-48 in some random hex. To me, this feels limiting and not fun, which is why i don't even squad up if we're at only 12 people or less.

So, yeah ... this is something that is affecting how much i enjoy playing. Solutions are to either be way more tactical, get more numbers, or merge squads with tva.
    Last edited by qaz; 09-10-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    So, yeah ... this is something that is affecting how much i enjoy playing. Solutions are to either be way more tactical, get more numbers, or merge squads with tva.
    Tacticality only happens if people make it happen. We're down to a core group which likes playing Planetside and, in general, has a greater desire to play as effectively and 'tacgir'-y than has been the case in the past.

We have a lot of decent players and even the less regular players are pretty good. Given this is supposed to be "squad cohesion week" we should probably start putting more effort into being effective (by this I mean the basics of: sticking together, enetering buildings together, holding tactical positions to lock down points, exact insertions to important locations and the like).

TVA is another possible call, but as we do not share comms it can be a bit difficult.

Recruitment, whatever we do, will be a longer term thing.

So, in the meantime, I urge everyone to step up and lead and to demand a bit more from the members. Get them sticking together, working together.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

So outfit chat tonight ? Like...now ?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    no chair, and there doesnt seem to be any interest for some reason. rizlar brought it up...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    For some reason I thought it was tommorrow. Sorry.
    Find me on the Steams

atleast I jumped in and reminded everyone that the meetup is in november.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."