Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,783

    Rock Paper Shotguns spikes my sales! The defender quest gamasutra article.

    Random article about internet,steam, indie games and sales.

    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...rs_.php?page=2

    Relevant image


    More in here:
    http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...#post420013874

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Squiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arcadia
    Posts
    4,146
    Care to give a short summary of the article?

  3. #3
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,155
    The article is about how a game being featured on RPS boosted some early access sales. The image shows this and also how well a daily deal will sell your game.

    After first being featured on RPS the game sold 3000 early access units.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Squiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arcadia
    Posts
    4,146
    Cheers for that, Jesus.

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,783
    Also interesting to note that betwen the daily deals the game sells more. These daily deals promote sales of the game even after are finished.

    Perhaps this is not all that interesting. We already knew about much of what one can see in that data. I suppose.
    Last edited by Tei; 30-09-2013 at 04:31 PM.

  6. #6
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Also interesting to note that betwen the daily deals the game sells more. These daily deals promote sales of the game even after are finished.
    Makes sense. I buy a lot of games after they're recommended by mates.

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spainishtan
    Posts
    1,850
    There has been similar stuff before, where a KS would peak when featured on RPS.

  8. #8
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,191
    There is a lot of other post mortrems that note the "RPS Effect". For normal launched games and even Kickstarters.

  9. #9
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    845
    Yuss, best days for me have either been from being Bargain Bucket'd in deal of the week slot or from an RPS posting. Every time you think "there surely can't be many more people left who read RPS who haven't..." and then you get another post and off it goes all over again.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times
    Steam

  10. #10
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    5,824
    theres obviously multiple reasons for this effect, but Im pretty sure its also because of the quality rps generally expects in games, And I do believe some people just trust that.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    monochrom & verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

  11. #11
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    845
    It's also, contrary to what it's fairly easy to presume from comments sections, that RPS has a generally good audience. I don't mean that as in "good numbers" I mean that entirely in the "good people" sense.

    It's why as weighty as it can be to drive through and read the same old bullshit repeatedly in comments sections, it's worth remembering that the comments sections make up a very, very, very tiny part of the RPS readership and are not necessarily representative of the views held and actions taken by RPS'ers in general. There's a pretty substantial amount of the readership who will take risks on games, who will buy off-Steam, who will support developers, who are just kind people, who will...

    Occasionally, there's a nice statistic to back up that they'll spend money on things and isn't that great (it is great from a dev point of view, obviously!) but it's not just that they'll spend money or whatever, it is that they aren't arseholes.

    RPS may not always get the comments section it deserves but from my experience, it certainly has enough of the readership it deserves.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times
    Steam

  12. #12
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    5,824
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    It's also, contrary to what it's fairly easy to presume from comments sections, that RPS has a generally good audience. I don't mean that as in "good numbers" I mean that entirely in the "good people" sense.

    It's why as weighty as it can be to drive through and read the same old bullshit repeatedly in comments sections, it's worth remembering that the comments sections make up a very, very, very tiny part of the RPS readership and are not necessarily representative of the views held and actions taken by RPS'ers in general. There's a pretty substantial amount of the readership who will take risks on games, who will buy off-Steam, who will support developers, who are just kind people, who will...

    Occasionally, there's a nice statistic to back up that they'll spend money on things and isn't that great (it is great from a dev point of view, obviously!) but it's not just that they'll spend money or whatever, it is that they aren't arseholes.

    RPS may not always get the comments section it deserves but from my experience, it certainly has enough of the readership it deserves.
    Yeah, and RPS also gets "shared" by other major PC gaming outlets. So it's a cascading effect, really.

    Note: as an interesting nugget, Wil Wheaton drives boardgame sales, by a quantifyable measure.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    monochrom & verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

  13. #13
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    328
    Indie titles need all the exposure they can get, not only do they need to get exposure just to get greenlit on steam, after they get released on steam they need to be featured on the front page of steam with the word sale on them before any real interest is shown in that game.

    Media and exposure creates the sales. Small indie teams especially have a problem since their personal combined network is pretty small.

  14. #14
    Here's another great data-point:
    http://www.manfightdragon.com/?p=585

    He has raw data showing a huge spike in visits after an RPS mention. To quote the blog post: "Rock, Paper, Shotgun readers are officially my favorite online community because of this. It’s not that they all love Black Annex, it just shows that if they’re not interested, they won’t say “This sucks!” and slam the “No!” button, they’ll just move on to something else. That rules!"

  15. #15
    Lesser Hivemind Node Velko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    858
    Interesting, good find Deck!

  16. #16
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,783
    Algo a good history, really nice to read :D

  17. #17
    Network Hub Stellar Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Yuss, best days for me have either been from being Bargain Bucket'd in deal of the week slot or from an RPS posting. Every time you think "there surely can't be many more people left who read RPS who haven't..." and then you get another post and off it goes all over again.
    Which reminds me. I really should getting around to trying one of your games Rob. So, there's at least one left. :)
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •