Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar

[Other] Tactics, techniques and procedures: ArmA 3 with the giraffes

So, five happy giraffes finally tried their hands (hooves?) at semi-hardcore military shooter ArmA 3 tonight. After some initial troubles connecting to each other's servers, we finally got a game going, cool nighttime assault on a couple of enemy positions, stealing an armoured car with a HMG on it, driving through the dark with NV goggles, all that jazz. Then I lost my internet connection, and a since I hosted that game, that was that.

next we ran a couple of missions with varying success. Especially fun was the Greek insurgent mission: capture the enemy mortars and use them to destroy therir ammunition stockpile. In the middle of the night. Without night vision equipment. In the middle of the night. Did I mention how dark the night is in ArmA 3?

so, that failed, but then we ran a couple of really nice missions, the last of which was a smashing success, apart from some junky scripting, and a heli that came for an extraction at the toss of a green smoke grenade, but didn't pick us up where we tossed the grenade, but rather at the designated extraction zone, half a kilometer away. All in good fun, probably.

Either way many funs we're had and we agreed to do it again soon, and here's the reason for this post: if y want to join in next time, let us know here or otherwhere, and we'll get you sorted.

I've kept this here rather than in the big ArmA sub forum just to keep it a bit more private until we get our feet under us a bit more...
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 10-10-2013 at 08:13 AM.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Yes, lots of fun and all welcome to the relaxed atmosphere of [RPS] in sunny, simulated, Greece.

Last night was useful for giving me some thoughts on mission making. I'm going to make an effort to have a basic mission sorted by the time we next play. Last night showed me that so long as you put some bad guys on the map and don't make it impossibly hard then even simple missions can work.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    I'd be up for a bit of this! I stopped playing MP because of the terrible frame rate. I hear it's better now.

played 20 mins of the beta, hated it, sorry.. couldn't see a thing, someone's shooting at you? really where? dead..

Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    I'd be up for a bit of this! I stopped playing MP because of the terrible frame rate. I hear it's better now.
    I have had no issues whatsoever with framerates since release, so I think it is much better now. I had serious stuttering issues during the Alpha, didn't play during beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Henlaaz View Post
    played 20 mins of the beta, hated it, sorry.. couldn't see a thing, someone's shooting at you? really where? dead..
    Yeah, that's how life works, probably. what you need is the right mindset and a set of good surround speakers/headphones, then watch for the muzzle flashes. It gets a lot easier from there. We're playing strictly co-op, so that makes things a bit easier too. There were a couple of missions that had some sort of revive mehanic enabled, while others didn't. When going casual like we did yesterday, we should probably aim for missions with the revive stuff enabled to minimise the frustration.

A thought I had on that pitch black insurgent mission; did any of us carry a flashlight, by any chance? I never thought to check my inventory (I key)! Otherwise, that seemed like a really interesting setup. Quite challenging.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    I have had no issues whatsoever with framerates since release, so I think it is much better now. I had serious stuttering issues during the Alpha, didn't play during beta.
    I was playing the beta and my frame rate would drop to 10-15 at times. Pretty low settings too to try and mitigate the issue. Didn't help.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    The framerate right now is great. The framerate in large multiplayer scenarios is absolute shit for basically everyone though. Did you perhaps play that Cephas?

I love the slow, methodical style of play in ARMA. I would love for this to be a regular thing. Really enjoy these smaller co-op missions and stuff.

I will probably try making a mission or so in the future as well.. Don't know how hard it is. Would like to see a mission where you have a heli or jet that supports an infantry squad.
    Find me on the Steams

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    I will probably try making a mission or so in the future as well.. Don't know how hard it is. Would like to see a mission where you have a heli or jet that supports an infantry squad.
    Funny you should say that, I've been thinking of doing something similar myself at some point. Will have to dabble with the editor a little.

The framerate right now is great. The framerate in large multiplayer scenarios is absolute shit for basically everyone though. Did you perhaps play that Cephas?
    Yes indeed. When you just ran around a portion of an island killing people and stealing their things. It's a shame the framerate is still terrible there. It is rather enjoyable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    That's Wasteland and it rarely works on any servers as it's scripting is apparently the worst. There is supposedly a branch of the mod that works well. Personally I am more interested in smaller coop-scenarios, had a lot of fun yesterday.
    Find me on the Steams

That's Wasteland and it rarely works on any servers as it's scripting is apparently the worst. There is supposedly a branch of the mod that works well. Personally I am more interested in smaller coop-scenarios, had a lot of fun yesterday.
    Yes! I couldn't remember the name. Fun in a big group but riddled with issues.
    I'd happily give some of the co-op scenarios a run with some familiar folks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This sounds like fun. I'll try to join you guys if I find ARMA III on sale sometime.

I've dabbled a little with the editor already. The basics are pretty intuitive though they still haven't sorted tooltips which makes things a bit awkward to start. I think to get beyond the basics though you really need to do some scripts and that's going to slow my progress because I've not done any programming since primary school so will have to learn as I go. The good news on scripting at least is that there are a bunch of stock scripts written by members of the Arma community that you can download and add into your mission thus reducing the technical knowledge required so that you only need to be able to add in a script. I haven't got into that yet but Wolfenswann (who plays with the NC I believe) is something of an Arma 3 mission making legend. His function library on FolkARPS looks really useful. Plus there is a whole development framework called F3 that FolkARPS seem to be major contributors to. I've found this website useful for getting started as has videos on some really elementary stuff like placing troops and making them playable.

All in all the mission making tools for Arma 3 look really powerful and not that hard to use but there's so much going on that it could take a while to get familiar with. Just like the game itself!

The first mission I'm working on would have people split into different areas so that we'd have a diver team, a recon team and a sniper team. That idea is going to work better with 12 or so people so if anyone's thinking about getting involved just go for it, Arma is almost completely different to PS2 but can be really satisfying. Last night's highlight for me was standing around a building in an enemy base whilst Eso shot out the windows so that Ridebird could pop a grenade in to kill the VIP inside. Tactical sophistication that isn't available in PS2 (though assination by grenade is hardly 'sophisticated'!).

Wally is now on Steam!

Network Hub
    I'd definitely be up for this...

I have Arma3 but haven't played it since beta, and then only 30 mins... should fire it up for a bit of control learning as the last game of this ilk I played lots of was the original Operation Flashpoint. Love the genre and the idea of squad sized coop multiplayer is really appealing, as is excercising the methodical patience parts of the brain that don't ever get used in PS2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    If you want to get into mission making, learn the basics and catch some nice tips and tricks, I can thoroughly recommend the videos by Jester814. Here's a list of his editor tutorial videos which allow you to make missions without having to worry about scripts. Only some very mild in-game coding here and there is necessary.

Carrying on from the other thread...

Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    Haha! It is a good game with huge attention to detail.
    The bee shadows are well documented but I was particularly impressed that they modelled the doppler effect in the game. Noticed that when Ridebird was pulling donuts whilst spamming the horn. Also, the mission editor allows you to change date, time of day and weather with the results of each faithfully represented in game. Take that SimCity! This is how you simulate stuff!

It is also similar to SWAT 4, in that you have to plan ahead and be very careful
    One particularly awesome moment was when our little squad (Eso, LaKroy, Ridebird, Dewi, me) had stealthily approach an enemy outpost, scoped it out and spotted the locations of all the bad guys. Then eso wrote on the map (take note PS2!) to indicate which bad guy each of us should shoot. He then counted us in and we eliminated the enemy garrison in about 3 seconds with no fire being returned. Just as well because in this game you can die from one hit.

This weekend I'm going to make a playable mission. It will probably be very simple but it will be playable and it will be done. I've also downloaded a bunch more missions including some co-2 missions so we should have a good supply of missions for the next few weeks (in which time the community will make missions faster than we can play them!).

Eso, LaKroy - do you fancy collaborating on some mission making?

Wally is now on Steam!

Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    I'm not sure how one would go about doing that, since only one person at a time can edit the map. There is however a "merge" function, so we could possibly work on different areas and then combine it all. It sounds interesting though, a bit of group work can be very rewarding.

I'm not sure how one would go about doing that, since only one person at a time can edit the map. There is however a "merge" function, so we could possibly work on different areas and then combine it all. It sounds interesting though, a bit of group work can be very rewarding.
    I need to find out how this merge function works. What I had in mind was that we could work on separate scenarios that fit within an overall narrative arch to make our own campaign and/or we could each work on getting different bits of scripting sorted so that we don't all, for example, have to work out how to create/implement a patrol script. There are a load of scripts on the web but I still find that there's a bit of work and knowledge required in being able to use them in a mission and modify them suitably.

Wally is now on Steam!

What I had in mind was that we could work on separate scenarios that fit within an overall narrative arch to make our own campaign and/or we could each work on getting different bits of scripting sorted so that we don't all, for example, have to work out how to create/implement a patrol script.
    Sounds like an interesting prospect! Count me in for making an episode in that series.

Making patrols is quite simple using waypoints in the editor. One of Jester814's videos explains how to do it. It is possible to create quite complex chains of events just using the in-game editing tools, such as waypoints and triggers. I suppose scripts will be useful once you want to create really complicated things, but you can get pretty far without them it seems.

Yeah sure! That campaign idea was pretty interesting. I've been away all weekend and a couple of days on both ends, so I haven't done anything more with my own mission, but that could be implemented as part of a larger campaign easily enough, or the concepts from it adapted to a new campaign mission. We should have a chat about any ideas for an overall campaign arch, I guess?

Wolfenswan:
    thanks for the invitation and the various links you posted! I've been over to the folkarps forums, registered and all, but haven't yet found the courage to join you for one of your regular sessions. Was wanting to get a slightly better grip on the game with my own, smaller, circle of friends first. I'll make sure to hop on sometime soonish though.

I did try to use the F3 framework for mission making but found it to be just a bit dense. The tutorial was good enough, I guess, but since my interest in adversarial missions right now is very low, it wasn't quite interesting enough to distract me from fiddling with my own coop mission instead. What I'm trying to say is, the tutorial was, to my mind, a bit too specific to creating that adv. mission, making it hard for me to learn how to use the framework for the coop mission I was interested in making. I'll give it another go shortly, though, so if you have any tips to share "that would be just grreat, mmkay?"

Finally, please guys can we not make this a Monday thing? Because if we do, I won't be there most of the time and that would make me a very sad giraffe...