Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Let's maybe pan ahead. How would Sunday 9 Feb be for the new adversarial?

I've tried playing adapt but keep hitting a bug thatmeans I can't save progress. Hence I've got nowhere with it yet.

Operation giraffe has defaulted to on hold. I think I'll have to stay a2 afresh. However, I've learnt a lot about mission making in the meantime so would be happy to get back to it.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    also, Operation Giraffe. Wally, LaKroy, Eso: how's progress gone? Up for getting it back on the rails?
    I have done literally nothing with that for a long time now. I grew really tired of the constant failures trying to debug my scripts and stuff, and got more than a little disheartened after a while. I wouldn't mind getting back into it again, but I've got a little much on my plate right now, and would quite like to spend most of my computer time actually playing games that don't frustrate me as much as the mission editing does. Perhaps I just need to learn a few tricks to make things easier on myself, and avoid some scripting?

That said, if the rest of you guys start working on it again, I might just get inspired to get going myself!
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Also, I too have had a friend/acquaintance of mine take her life (we think) recently. This past Friday, in fact, so my spirit isn't exactly all that high right now, though the worst pain will pass soon enough.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Yeah i know the feeling all to well, I'm only including small scripts so perhaps the bigger more complicated ones are more prone to bugs and problems. I've taken to doing everything possible to minimise annoyance and frustration when mission making, which still doesn't always work.

FYI my 4 missions are all finished and just await some fine tuning and final testing, so it can wait for however long, I was just wondering what was going on with you guys. I'll crack on with solo projects in the meantime.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Good work Nick! I hadn't realised that you'd finished yours. Let's perhaps play/test some of those missions to get us back into the mindset.

Also, I found the process of mashing together a script and debugging it gently satisfying. It took me quite a long time and ultimately a forum post to get it sorted but I'm happy with the result. If anyone would appreciate my help with a script then I'm happy to have a go though it someone hasn't first done something similar and posted it on the internet somewhere I'm not sure how much help I'll be.

Oh and if anyone knows a good way for debugging scripts let me know. I downloaded SQEditor which helps by colour coding syntax but my method for working out which bits of the script were or weren't working was to use a line of 'hint "the line above ran successfully"' and then insert that in different points in the code and run it each time until I found the faulty line. That was as laborious as it sounds.

Wally is now on Steam!

Yeah, that's basically the emthod I used too. My problem was mainly in getting the right scripts running at the right time, syncing different units together and stuff like that. And a few scripts that by all accounts should have worked but really didn't. Like trying to get people to hop off from a boat, and go deploy their mortars at a predesignated location, then telling ther commander that they now have artillery support. Fucking drove me nuts that one!

I'll have to reconsider the general layout of that mission, I think. Syntax highlighting is something I could really use, and a bigger window or smaller text for the scripts too. Will have to look into that. I'm running something third-party, not sure what it's called now, but that doesn't work so well for scripts that are placed on units and stuff... Is SQEditor an in-game mod?

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Is SQEditor an in-game mod?
    No. As far as I can tell it's a mod for Java Development Kit that someone's made. I'm sure it's got a huge hinterland of functionality that I'm not using but for now I'm content to have code that's colour coded and (slightly) easier to format. Armaholic link if you're interested. Worth noting that there are other editors. I've not tried others - I just wanted something to help me check the curly braces matching and this was the first thing that came to hand.

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    I downloaded SQEditor which helps by colour coding syntax but my method for working out which bits of the script were or weren't working was to use a line of 'hint "the line above ran successfully"' and then insert that in different points in the code and run it each time until I found the faulty line. That was as laborious as it sounds.
    Poseidon is the best and most up-to-date editor for sqf, hands down. There's also a plugin for Notepad++, but I forgot the name.

For debugging it helps to use sth like
    player globalchat format ["%1, %2",_var1,_var2];
    diag_log format ["%1, %2",_var1,_var2];

To monitor variables. (The second line writes it to the RPT).

Completely off topic here (sort of), but if your looking for some truely epic music for your missions or just for the pleasure of listening to it, check this out: http://iconaudio.bandcamp.com/

Also Wally, please accept (my rather late) condolences for you friend.
    Steam-[CpBt] LtArtorious
    Orgin-LtAtorious
    Uplay-LtArtorious

Helicopter don't simply fly, they beat the Air into submission.

Right then, who fancies playing Arma tomorrow evening (9 Feb)? If there are enough people willing then I'd like to play the hide, seek, destroy mission I've made on Zargabad. I think it's my most accomplished mission to date and I think it should provide quite a different gameplay to the typical hunt for OP weapons on Stratis. So yeah, I'd love it if people want to join in.

Also, I know some of you Folk ARPS folks read this thread and I'd just like to reiterate that you are of course more than welcome to join our Arma sessions.

Date: Sunday 9 Feb
    Time: Evening, ideally 1930 GMT for three hours
    Game: Arma 3
    Mission: Hide, seek, destroy #6
    Mission info: A slow burning team death match in a city surrounded by desert with roving enemy AI. Revive mechanic is in but first aid and med kits are limited. A medical supply airdrop can be called in from a particular radio somewhere in the map. CCTV of your enemies' helmet cams is available at two locations in the map. Heavy weapons are limited, no thermal scopes at all and no attack vehicles.

Note: you'll need the map pack and it's a big download so planning ahead may be needed. Download it from here and it's very easy to sort out with no fuss:
    http://play.withsix.com/arma-3/mods/a3mp
    Last edited by WallyTrooper; 08-02-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Wally is now on Steam!

Activated Node
    If only some arsehole at my work wasn't "sick", I could play. Instead, I get to fill in for him.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Unfortunately, I won't be able to join either. Hope you have fun though, and post AARs. I think it'd be interesting to read for adversarials.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Tomorrow evening works for me.

Network Hub
    I have a funny feeling there might be some kind of arma session going on....
    www.folkarps.com - The resident Arma community. Admin.
    BF4 Platoon admin
    Steam: Bodge
    Battlelog/Skype: Bodgemonkey

Tonight is good for me! I'm really looking forward to testing out the combination of new map, new features and actually getting the chance to try out the CCTV!

Quote Originally Posted by Bodge View Post
    I have a funny feeling there might be some kind of arma session going on....
    Yeah, I realised that after I put up the post but thought I might as well leave it as is. You're all welcome even if I have inadvertently proposed a time that clashes with Folks ARPS proper.

Wally is now on Steam!

Is there another A3 Folkarps session happening tonight then?

Not that I'm aware of. If there was then I'd suggest we pick another night for our mission. I think bodge was just referring to the regular folk arps night tonight.

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    As nit looks like I am going to have time this evening. Is there another link for this mappack and/or what is this client? I am really not to eager to have another client installed on my pc. Got plenty of those running already.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

PlayWithSix is just an application for downloading and managing mods. It takes a small amount of space and makes the download very easy. If you'd rather not have it then I'm sure there'll be a direct link from Armaholic though the trade off is you will then need to manually 'install' it (which probably just means copying it into the appropriate directory of the game's install location and maybe adding a launch line to the steam launcher.

Wally is now on Steam!