Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by protorp View Post
    "Altis Dawn"? Intro to first mission with a shot of blood red-gold sun rising over the sea, then panning out over the island...

Hah, I've not actually any idea whether that would even be possible, I can't do anything other than place little standard men and vehicles on the editor! I think it's testament to how much this game has engaged me and fired up my imagination.
    It is, in fact! You can script the camera to do stuff during the intro sequence. It's not entirely trivial, I understand, but should be worthwhile.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    http://www.reddit.com/r/arma/comment...g_like_he_was/
    The most helpful mod ever created.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Best. Mod. EVER.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Bugs aside, I think Esoterics mission, which we played last night, was immersive and well thought out. I like the setting and the premises, with the improvised giant bomb in the back of the pickup truck and the looming military presence. It makes for a very good start of the campaign! :)

Would it be possible to place invisible units in the back seats of the truck, so that it is not possible to sit there together with the chemicals?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    In terms of name, and because somebody mentioned golden dawns recent fall, how about:

Dawn Resurgance/ Resurgant Dawn.

Or something the like.

Doesnt throw the "golden dawn" link at you entirely, but gives you a hint.

Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    Bugs aside, I think Esoterics mission, which we played last night, was immersive and well thought out. I like the setting and the premises, with the improvised giant bomb in the back of the pickup truck and the looming military presence. It makes for a very good start of the campaign!

Would it be possible to place invisible units in the back seats of the truck, so that it is not possible to sit there together with the chemicals?
    Oh, thanks! It turned out okay, but it's even better now that I've got the stealth game at least a little bit better. Now, people will start hurting you if you run up to thm waving guns in their faces! Oh, and playing at night makes a lot of difference too. By the way, the bomb could probably be made even more powerful, just for fun.

I think it might be ready for "launch" testing sometime next week, but there's lots to do with the intro and outro parts. Might also need to detect if the truck becomes immobile...

As for yon truck, there is a command lockCargo. There are ones for driver, gunner, commander seats too. Works fine!
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Cheers to all giraffes who showed up yesterday. I hope A3's teething problems weren't too off putting. It seems that there's a magical threshold for the net code to start collapsing on itself that only shows with numbers of over 40 ppl.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    Cheers to all giraffes who showed up yesterday. I hope A3's teething problems weren't too off putting. It seems that there's a magical threshold for the net code to start collapsing on itself that only shows with numbers of over 40 ppl.
    Thanks, it was an entertaining, and bewildering, experience when it worked! I was happy to survive for almost an entire operation and getting one kill near the end. Also, this highlighted the engineering feats of Planetside 2, which works with hundreds of players in the same area (except for those two or three times when 2000 players squeezed into the same 100 by 100 metre square...).

Thanks, it was an entertaining, and bewildering, experience when it worked! I was happy to survive for almost an entire operation and getting one kill near the end. Also, this highlighted the engineering feats of Planetside 2, which works with hundreds of players in the same area (except for those two or three times when 2000 players squeezed into the same 100 by 100 metre square...).

You guys fancy playing some of your missions tonight?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    I would be up for that.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    Absolutely!

I have two missions that we haven't tried out yet:

CO 06 Basic Chemistry
    CO 06 Manhunt (includes helicopters with mounted searchlights)

I'm up for tonight.

FOLKARPS was exciting and promising, but I didn't really enjoy myself. I never got to really participate in either the adversial nor the coop mission as in the first one I had to take the medic slot and followed the SL for the duration of the mission, sticking to him like glue as ordered, til we reached the castle and instantly died. In the second mission our leader was just gone and it was me, Dewi and someone named Sean. I asked Sean to lead us but it got a bit confusing, and then I died after about two minutes as I tried to follow others and got shot.

I'm guessing that's a pretty typical ARMA experience, but it would be cool if for example the spectator mode worked. I will be up for it again anyway, but it was pretty daunting.

May I suggest you put stuff such as "don't talk except in the sidechannel" in the ARMA 3 guide as well Wolfenswan? There was quite a bit of audible irritation when we messed this up a couple of times, and generally it was a bit more strict then I had imagined. Nothing negative, but your guide makes it out to be totally fine to mess up and ask questions. I didn't really feel there was any place for this. Teamspeak was also very chatty and seemed to be the main mode of communication, not group VON, making comms overlap almost all the time (we've had issues with this in the PS2 outfit with our comms system). I fully see the need, but for me it was pretty hard to figure out who I should be listening to. This is likely due to not having a leader, though.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    I'm well up for some Arma 3 tonight. Alas I have no completed missions for us. Instead I have a bunch of questions about the editor and a load of half baked missions. One is playable but has some things that may not work as intended and may be totally unbalanced. If you played that I'd see it as a favour in helping with testing rather than actual playing of the game.

For reference, questions I have about the editor:

1. Why does it sometimes become impossible to set waypoints or for the waypoints to always be set for a different unit? Example: place some waypoints for rifleman1 then select rifleman2 and try to set waypoints but find that either a) nothing happens or b) I set another waypoint for rifleman1.

2. How do you make support available to a whole squad of playable characters? I've given them all support requester modules and synced them all to the support provider module but only the team leader (set as player) can call support.

3. How long can a fixed wing jet fly about before running out of fuel?

4. Is it possible to call in three virtual air strikes from one support request?

[more, just can't think of them now. Also, I could have a discussion with anyone who's interested in talking about the difficulties of trying to randomise the spawn locations of groups that aren't literally 'grouped'.]

If anyone fanciees answering the above I'd love to hear the answer.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    I'm guessing that's a pretty typical ARMA experience, but it would be cool if for example the spectator mode worked. I will be up for it again anyway, but it was pretty daunting.
    Not seeing any enemies and dying without giving off a single shot is pretty typical for first time ArmA experience. But like Obama said: It get's better.

In the second mission our leader was just gone and it was me, Dewi and someone named Sean. I asked Sean to lead us but it got a bit confusing, and then I died after about two minutes as I tried to follow others and got shot.
    That sucks and shouldn't happen. But people dropping out right after a mission started isn't the rule.

May I suggest you put stuff such as "don't talk except in the sidechannel" in the ARMA 3 guide as well Wolfenswan? There was quite a bit of audible irritation when we messed this up a couple of times, and generally it was a bit more strict then I had imagined. Nothing negative, but your guide makes it out to be totally fine to mess up and ask questions. I didn't really feel there was any place for this.
    Good call on that. First off: Messing up and asking questions is absolutely fine, otherwise we wouldn't be open for people joining as they see fit. I think it was the first time though that we had completely new people showing up for our A3 session, and being already 2h into hosting I didn't really realize that you might appreciate a quick introduction.

Teamspeak was also very chatty and seemed to be the main mode of communication, not group VON, making comms overlap almost all the time (we've had issues with this in the PS2 outfit with our comms system).
    The idea is that the Fireteam leaders talk to other fireteam leaders and Squad lead on teamspeak while VON is being used inside the fireteam ('group channel'). But with VON quality being a lot better in ArmA3 than it was in ArmA2 it could be you mistook VON for Teamspeak, I know it happens to me all the time

Anyway, thanks for the feedback it's really appreciated. And if feel free to post questions/suggestions in our A3 forum or just put your experience in the After-Action Report.

Network Hub
    I may be around tonight... will be up for it if so.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    1. Why does it sometimes become impossible to set waypoints or for the waypoints to always be set for a different unit? Example: place some waypoints for rifleman1 then select rifleman2 and try to set waypoints but find that either a) nothing happens or b) I set another waypoint for rifleman1.
    Are the units grouped? I think they are supposed to follow the waypoints of their leader in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    3. How long can a fixed wing jet fly about before running out of fuel?
    I'd suggest some science! Take a jet for a spin and see how long you can fly it! Or fly until it is 75%/50% full and calculate the total possible flight time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Are the units grouped? I think they are supposed to follow the waypoints of their leader in that case.
    They are not grouped. I've sussed getting a group to all go on the same patrol but if I then select the leader of the next patrol it sometimes thinks I'm trying to place more points for the first group. Also, sometimes one or more members of the patrol disappear into thin air on a play through. Most odd.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    Anyway, thanks for the feedback it's really appreciated. And if feel free to post questions/suggestions in our A3 forum or just put your experience in the After-Action Report.
    An introduction would do well, but I would suggest just adding that to the start of the Q&A post in the forums. Explaining the process of choosing map, slotting, what slot you should take/shouldn't take would be helpful as well. I think there was some stuff on that, but the list of Alpha 3-2-1 and the stuff like that is at first glance very complicated. It took me a while before I realized that the actual fireteam is Bravo 1 and not like Alpha 3-2-1. Also spell out very clearly that during the time you set up missions and slot stuff, ONLY leaders are allowed to talk.

In-game I think it would've been fine if we had a leader though, and I mainly got shot from being a bit stupid and following the guys in the front which I figured knew what they were doing (most of them died as well). I did kill a dude though, I think, or at least I shot at them.

I won't post in the forums as I'll feel like a total asshole that comes in for the first time and starts complaining.. I guess I sort of already did that just now But I figured you'd have a look here and I could get across what I experienced as in need of improvement.
    Find me on the Steams

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    I won't post in the forums as I'll feel like a total asshole that comes in for the first time and starts complaining.
    Go ahead. How are we going to improve if we never know what's wrong?

Slotting is described in the Getting started with ArmA 3 and Folk ARPS thread
    How do we pick slots?
    The host running the session will let you know when to pick a slot. Generally, we ask people to select leadership slots (e.g. FTL) first, then everyone else can pick what's left.
    Can anyone take a leadership slot?
    Of course, but if you're brand new to FA you might want to play a few missions before stepping up to lead.
    Okay, I'm in a slot now.
    Great, make a note of the fireteam you're in (Alpha, Charlie etc.). The host will start the mission when everyone is slotted.
    Comms are in there and the What is the Folk ARPS Platoon thread.
    Who should be talking on TeamSpeak, and when?
    Usually, a TeamSpeak channel will be shared by the elements in a squad (e.g. the squad's fireteams, plus any attachments assigned to that squad). The only people who should be talking on the TeamSpeak channel are the element leaders (e.g. squad leader, FTLs, attachment leaders).
    Who should be talking on Group VON, and when?
    Everyone should use Group VON when talking to others in the same element. This applies whether you're an element leader (e.g. FTL), or a regular member (e.g. Assistant Automatic Riflemen).
    Showing up at at the start of the A3 bit, when the sessions' already been going on for 2 hours, and wanting a total introduction tends to grind some gears.

Connect early to Teamspeak and ask the players in Limbo, re-read the threads linked or just ask any of us on Skype or Steam if you need any help.
    We are a few Swedes and also some Norwegians(you can understand some of them...) that'll gladly help you out in Swedish if you want any in-depth explanations that's either hard or dragged out in English.

Hope to see you around again!
    Vanu scum...

Playing with FA was fun. A bit strange and tricky for a newcomer, but fun still. I had none of the problems Ridebird had, so I rather enjoyed myself. I even got to throw a grenade at one of my fellow men towards the end of the adversarial, and shot a couple of dudes, but they were all friendlies, I believe. That, or I didn't shoot them at all... It was a really interesting experience at any rate.