Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    There is room for many ArmA Giraffes! Just as with SWAT we may split up and run separate games if we have more people than mission slots but there are some really big scenarios out there (co-40 for example) as well as some in between and of course we can make our own. So at least some of the time we ought to be able to manage lots of people in one mission, though we'll probably split up into fire teams for comms purposes.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    OK, that was fun! I was clueless, half the time didn't know where I was getting shot from, but it was genuine fun! And the amazing sense of the landscape and scale...

Thanks Ridebird, Lakroy, Wally, and Protorp!

Network Hub
    ^ yes indeed... really enjoyable, the game is so immersive, so much potential once some of the buginess is sorted.

Although tbh tonight was actually made even more entertaining by some of the glitches (giraffe necks, levitating zombie LaKroy), and also by my brutally pre-meditated blue on blue death at the hands of Wally (no grudge held, it was an impressively effective quad-jacking).

Thanks everyone!

Very sorry about that! Glad to know you saw the funny side of it. Murder is always funnier when there's a revive button.

Lots of fun this evening. I get the impression that the majority of the community made missions have a tendency to both the ridiculous and supremely difficult. It was lots of fun working on taking that airbase but we did a lot of dying. If it weren't for revives we would have had no chance. I wonder how that could be done better. Were there silenced weapons in the ammo box at the start? If so I think a silent assault could work. We had the upper hand until we opened fire!

Wally is now on Steam!

Network Hub
    Split the squad, attack from opposite directions to prevent the enemy focusing fire? Say, a couple of snipers on the position we were in the first time, and everyone else moving in from the back as per the second time. Snipers keep firing and relocating to keep enemy heads down whilst the other sweep in...

I can see it working beautifully in my head, at least.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    No silenced weapons. I didn't have to die where I did, was a stupid mistake. Think it could be done with sniper doing overwatch yeah.

I'm going to look in to finding that mod/tweak in the settings so you can crank AI smartness up and accuracy down. The AIs accuracy at longer ranges is absolutely ridiculous sometimes, at the same time as they often fail to take cover. More smarts, less sharpshoots.
    Find me on the Steams

Bought Arma 3 this morning against all common sense. I do not thank you and your awesomeness

PHO33fadab8-c931-11e2-ae6b-19b6609108d6-805x453.jpg

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Aw, missed that
    Have been playing Arma3 every now and then but I don't play MP much because it's hard to find a sever with good teamwork and maps. Most servers are running stupid wasteland anyway.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Hey giraffes

Just so you know, you guys are welcome to play with us over at Folk ARPS anytime (relevant info here). Organized A3 usually happens around the 21.30 mark (UK time) on tuesdays/sundays (after the A2 session) but people are always up for impromptu sessions (usually organized via Skype chat).

Also I'm happy to offer assistance in regards to mission making, I've been slamming my head against ARMA's editor for about 2 years now so I'm mildly confident in what I'm doing. Our forums and /r/armadev are also good source of info or places to put questions. There's also this PDF I made in conjunction to a ARMA 2 editor tutorial mission to highlight some neat ways of mission-making without resorting to scripts. While it's meant to be read in conjunction with the mission open most of the important contents are transferable to ARMA 3.

I can only recommend the F3 Mission Making Framework if you're getting started with editing. It does a ton of the annoying and tedious stuff for you.

With regards to AI: For now your best bet is this addon which modifies the way the total skill level affects the various "sub skills" of the AI. There's also ASR AI which we've been using for A2 to great success. It makes the AI more interest in many ways while removing their laz0r accuracy but to my knowledge it's still WIP at the moment.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 05-10-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksempac View Post
    Bought Arma 3 this morning against all common sense. I do not thank you and your awesomeness
    You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    Hey giraffes
    Thanks for popping over! Perhaps we will come and join the Folk ARPS crowd some day! Usually we hang out in the Planetside 2 subchannels of the RPS Mumble server though, most likely the SWAT 4 one, naturally. :p

However, 23.30 UK time is a bit late for starting an A3 session for most of us I think.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    However, 23.30 UK time is a bit late for starting an A3 session for most of us I think.
    Eh I think I got the time zones messed up. UK time is CET - 1 right? Then it would be 21.30 UK time :P

Oh, that is much more reasonable. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    Hey giraffes

[...really useful helpful stuff...]
    Thanks Wolfenswan!

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar
    Quick question, am i ready to join in with everything at Vanilla or is there anything i need to download beforehand?
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    Quick question, am i ready to join in with everything at Vanilla or is there anything i need to download beforehand?
    You're ready. All it needs is for the person who hosts to have the mission downloaded. The mission files are generally small and they just get shared prior to playing the mission. So you just need to show up and play. If you see people in the SWAT 4 channel at a time other than Tuesday evening then the chances are there is some giraffey ArmA happening.

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar
    Excellent news, cheers. Looking forward to it!
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Might pick this up at some point, so I may join you.

Network Hub
    So following on from talking the other night about how impressed I was with the immersion, scale and depth of design detail in this game...

I loaded it up to play around with keybinds, and was just running around an empty editor level practising stance control, when suddenly I stopped dead with amazement. The reason? I'd just consciously noticed that the sound of my footsteps was changing when I moved from tarmac to dirt, and again moving into scrub and onto beach. Such a tiny, simple thing, but... wow!!!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by protorp View Post
    So following on from talking the other night about how impressed I was with the immersion, scale and depth of design detail in this game...

I loaded it up to play around with keybinds, and was just running around an empty editor level practising stance control, when suddenly I stopped dead with amazement. The reason? I'd just consciously noticed that the sound of my footsteps was changing when I moved from tarmac to dirt, and again moving into scrub and onto beach. Such a tiny, simple thing, but... wow!!!
    Wait until you spot the insect shadows .

So, I'd bought this in Alpha, but was waiting for release before really trying it. I have to say, I'm impressed. It's still unfinished (and diving seems an oddly specific mechanic to have invested so much in), but it's got great promise and potential.

Also, being able to adjust your pose to suit your cover without a Red Orchestra 2 "stick to this cover" system is glorious.