Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Right, so after a weekend's effort I now have a playable multiplayer mission! It's (nominally) for 8 people but I haven't tested it with any more than just myself so I'm now really sure if 8 people is justified. 4 would probably be sufficient. Anyway, I've stuffed it full of all manner of triggers and waypoints and, thanks to help from LaKroy, the good old revive mechanic. Who fancies testing out my first mission?
    Last edited by WallyTrooper; 06-10-2013 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typo
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar
    You can count me in! Should be fun!
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Sure. Most likely I will give you plenty of opportunities to test the revive mechanic
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Nice, Wally! Count me in.

I've also been working with the editor and I now have two playable missions ready, one for 8 players and one for 6. We can add them to the playlist as well if you're interested. According to my playthroughs the first mission takes about 1h and the second one about 45 minutes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar
    When is the next Arma outing by the way?
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Next outing tonight? I'm very excited to try LaKroy's missions and also to see how people get on with mine. Though please think of this as 'testing' my mission rather than playing. If it all goes to plan that's awesome, but I fully expect some bugs in mine which may or may not break the mission.

I will probably be online from 20.00 UK time and if I see some of the names above in mumble then I'll probably start asking around to see who fancies playing some Arma.

Wally is now on Steam!

Sure, sounds good! I plan to be around this evening.

Also, I will have to attach a disclaimer to my missions as well - something will likely break at some point. Welcome aboard, guinea pigs. For science!

Network Hub
    I'll be around this evening, for a few hours at least.

I had absolutely no idea of stance control beyond prone / crouch / stand / lean last time, those tiny little adjustments to peek over and around cover might help me survive a bit longer this time.

Worst luck (for me) - there is a fault on the network near my house. Result: no Internet (other than the phone) which means I will not be playing arma until it's fixed. That's not expected until 23.00 uk time. Since that's also bedtime it's now a matter of luck whether I get any gaming in tonight. That's really quite irritating given how much I was looking forward to playing arma with you all, seeing lakroy's mission and seeing how my mission holds up when being played for real. I'll join if I can but have fun without me.

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Well, that was fun! We should totally do that again.
    And some feedback for the first mission:

- The initial boat ride is okay but maybe loosen it up a little? Maybe give it something fancy to happen like a few helicopters flying by or something alike? Just something for people to watch.
    - The Alpha engagement was pretty cool. The only thing I would change is (if possible) to give the enemies some additional magazines for their guns. I took one of them (which I though was a good idea because it had a long(er) range scope) just to find out that they had no spare ammo and my gun bugged into the ground so I wasn't able to pick it up again. I had to cautiously save ammo until the Ifrit to get more.
    - Maybe add something for players to be forced to stop with the cars from alpha. Like a roadblock. But maybe it should either be marked on the map or you should be able to spot it from afar. I found our "stop" and the car we engaged on the way there a bit too random.
    - At the area where we left our cars I found the two(?) guys down by the beach to be a bit misplaced. Maybe at least add some kind of tent or stationary weapon that looks like they are guarding the coast. Just to give it a bit more "meaning". Also maybe add one or two additional enemies there.
    - The Ifrit position was pretty cool, although I didn't see much of the fight. Maybe it could use one or two additional enemies, but otherwise it seemed fine.
    - The helis where a bit too easy to take imho because the outside patrols where just sitting in plain sight. Maybe spread out the patrols and separate them in more, but smaller groups, so that the players have to think more about when to engage to not getting into too much crossfire?
    - Are there other helis in the game which could be used? It seems to be odd to steal two Blackhawks as the US forces. Or switch around factions? Maybe that's just me and my preference for story driven missions but I didn't get why we would want to have those two helis

Looking forward to the next night with "special" ops
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Cheers for playing my map and for the feedback! It was really fun to play even though I had made it and knew about all the encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    - The initial boat ride is okay but maybe loosen it up a little? Maybe give it something fancy to happen like a few helicopters flying by or something alike? Just something for people to watch.
    Yep, need to do something about that one. Ridebird's suggestion to make it shorter is a good start. (Maybe I should add that Kraken in the sea!) I will take this advice with me for future missions.

- The Alpha engagement was pretty cool. The only thing I would change is (if possible) to give the enemies some additional magazines for their guns. I took one of them (which I though was a good idea because it had a long(er) range scope) just to find out that they had no spare ammo and my gun bugged into the ground so I wasn't able to pick it up again. I had to cautiously save ammo until the Ifrit to get more.
    The enemies were just regular troops and they should have a few mags on them. Did you check all of their gear? The ammo is sometimes stored in their backpacks and vests. Perhaps a helpful ammo crate would be nice on a long mission like this though.

- Maybe add something for players to be forced to stop with the cars from alpha. Like a roadblock. But maybe it should either be marked on the map or you should be able to spot it from afar. I found our "stop" and the car we engaged on the way there a bit too random.
    Haha, yes, that was pretty hilarious to watch. However, I wanted it to be a random encounter - a group of soldiers that were investigating an abandoned car or having stopped for a short break or something.

- At the area where we left our cars I found the two(?) guys down by the beach to be a bit misplaced. Maybe at least add some kind of tent or stationary weapon that looks like they are guarding the coast. Just to give it a bit more "meaning". Also maybe add one or two additional enemies there.
    The guys on the beach were part of a patrol and they stopped when they noticed us. Working as intended I think.

- The Ifrit position was pretty cool, although I didn't see much of the fight. Maybe it could use one or two additional enemies, but otherwise it seemed fine.
    It turned into a really nice fight actually! Some more enemies could probably be wedged in for good measure.

- The helis where a bit too easy to take imho because the outside patrols where just sitting in plain sight. Maybe spread out the patrols and separate them in more, but smaller groups, so that the players have to think more about when to engage to not getting into too much crossfire?
    It was pretty easy, yes. I didn't want to make it too hard, but now I have learned something about balancing. A few more enemies there wouldn't hurt! The AA unit is actually patrolling, so if we would have hit them at a different time, they might not have been so easy to spot.

- Are there other helis in the game which could be used? It seems to be odd to steal two Blackhawks as the US forces. Or switch around factions? Maybe that's just me and my preference for story driven missions but I didn't get why we would want to have those two helis
    They were black like Blackhawks, yes, but they were Orcas, which are the OPFOR (Iranian) equivalents. The unusual, and Blackhawk-imitating colour, was the reason Major Dawson wanted those choppers so badly!

Thank you all so much for last night's arma fun. LaKroy's mission was really fun and well produced. And thanks to everyone for testing my mission. I may tweak the availability of vehicles in the second half of the game or introduce a penalty for shelling everything to bits (you bring a tank they bring an airstrike!). The pay through gave me some ideas for improvement bur any feedback would be very welcome. I hope to have another mission or two ready for next Monday as well. Any requests for mission settings/goals/etc?

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    The last part of your mission Wally was quite easy, but I can say that I have pretty much never felt so powerful in a game before. That IFV is actually a bit scary. It's cool as hell of course, and you feel extremely powerful, but the thing makes so many terrible sounds and has so goddamn many guns that you feel sort of scared of the thing. I felt a bit sad for the poor 20 or so dudes that died by my hand there. They stood absolutely no chance.

Please leave that in, but I am unsure of wether the artillery has a place there. It sort of just hangs around there, which makes little sense. It was glorious to look at though.

And I hope I am a good playtester for you guys. In LaKroys missions I showed him the option of ignoring his stupid roadblocks and driving through them, and in Wallys I showed you how you could ignore building clearing by simply destroying everything. I love, love, love how buildings can be blown up, because the "scorched earth" tactic is viable. Enemies hiding? Simply destroy everything.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Oh and I will attempt to make a mission more in my vein of things if I find the time to figure out the editor and watch the many videos. I have an idea, but we'll see. It will likely be called Operation Onslaught and be heavily themed towards warcrimes.
    Find me on the Steams

You are the perfect playtester Ridebird! It was great watching you guys trash the mission. In my mind the tanks were there to provide a counter to the enemy tanks and I thought it could get too easy so I made some of the enemy dudes AT guys. Thing is, you and Dewi had blown them to pieces from a couple of clicks away so they weren't much of a threat. I plan to change the ending a bit. Perhaps get rid of the artillery, put in some more defences around the tank and then massively increase the amount of AT threats so that getting in the tank doesn't become the insta-win it was but still offers people the chance to shoot ALL THE GUNS!

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Awwww, this sounds so awesome. I really want to join it all. I just might have to cave and buy the game full price, instead of waiting for a good sale. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Hoc View Post
    I just might have to cave and buy the game full price, instead of waiting for a good sale. :/
    You know you want to! It's quite different from other fps games and makes for a nice complement to the chaos of Planetside 2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Woot! I managed to find it 25% off, so I am now the happy owner of ARMA 3.

Congratulations! Make sure to familiarise yourself with the controls, and perhaps change them to what you want. Also, make a new profile before doing so if you want to be known as Sir Hoc, because the game will default to your windows account name.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Cool, will do that.

Strange that it defaults to windows account name though. I figured it would default to steam name.