Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Any questions, comments or discussions about the current CODBLOPS Trailer article on the main page will be heavily moderated and/or deleted.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Any questions, comments or discussions about the current CODBLOPS Trailer article on the main page will be heavily moderated and/or deleted.
    Laughable.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Laughable.
    Nope, future-resistant.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    We can talk about it in general, right?
    steam: sketch

You can talk about it all you want, but its more what you say than if you say it.

Also, I suggest talking about the trailer, not about the actual article. It might bring out more interesting discussions than discussing if "OMG JOHN WALKER" didnt enter into it.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    So only a thread of agreement would have been allowed?
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    So only a thread of agreement would have been allowed?
    nope. just a thread where its not about the poor poor people that are forced to read the article.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Activated Node
    I was very sad to see the thread about the Cara petition get ghettoized to RPS discussion, given that it's more about how great Cara is than anything else.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tormos View Post
    I was very sad to see the thread about the Cara petition get ghettoized to RPS discussion, given that it's more about how great Cara is than anything else.
    The thing is, that we already consider Cara such an essential part of RPS that discussion about her is immeaditely also about RPS.

There's probably a hint there :P.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tormos View Post
    I just moved it for topicality's sake, since it appeared to be input about RPS writers & staffing decisions (and continued to be about various RPS writers, and the stalking of them =P). Sorry if I was too hasty! I'm not opposed to threads centered around specific game journalists / websites or other not-quite-game aspects of the "scene" (i.e. drm, conferences, wacky sales, etc) existing on the PC Gaming forum, though ideally they all wrap back around eventually to being about some computers-games. =)
    Last edited by Berzee; 28-01-2014 at 05:17 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Activated Node
    It's arguably the correct place for it, I wasn't sure where I wanted it myself except that the PC Gaming forum sees about 100x the traffic that this one does

Prompted by this LP fan/spam thread, I wanted to post some thoughts about the place that self-made videos may have or not have on the PC Gaming Discussion forum. Then I will go eat a hot pocket and try not to think about how many words I've spent on this topic today. :D

At this point the little description blurb under the Promotion forum is the full extent of the law we have on these matters. :P It is a blurb of keen wisdom and precise elegance, providing a home for threads and posts whose motivation is primarily to get Attention for something. But I think there are plenty of ways to link to a self-made video or web log entry or other material in sincere furtherance of a discussion about PC games / gaming / industry stuff, so it's certainly not intrinsically forbidden.

I think a good rule of thumb is that links to one's own video/article about a game belong in a thread about that game, and should be provided as a convenient way of expounding upon something you're already discussing (because you are of course enmeshed in a scintillating conversation about the game for its own sake). On the other hand, a history of mostly non-embedded video links and one-liners, suggests a quest for attention. =P

Those things are so obvious that I am very nearly embarrassed to say them, but I want to make it clear that nobody needs to agonize over whether they're safe to follow up an enthusiastic post about their most loved/hated open world game with a link to a tumblr of hilarious mishaps within that game, demonstrating why you love or hate it. Or things like that.

I'm sure there is an exhausting list of nuances and exceptions, so I don't intend to expand or add anything (if I ought even presume to) to the ancient traditions inscribed on the Promotion subforum description. We have one place for optimistically seeking page views, and another place for chatting about some games.

Since I cannot pierce through the mists of the mind and see everyone's true motivations (and haven't been able to for, oh, weeks) I'm likely to confine myself to obvious cases (like if someone makes a thread tagged with their youtube channel name ^_^) and ignore any knotty speculations on secret dreams of referral traffic; haven't we all had such dreams? =P

Finally and also obviously, anyone with a basic aptitude for pleasant conversation and an interest in PC Gaming Discussion as an end rather than merely a means, can probably do much better than a Project Promotion thread by putting a simple link in their forum signature and hanging around being the sort of person people might like to know.
    Last edited by Berzee; 02-06-2014 at 05:02 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

P.S. None of this answers the question of what to do about the existing "THE Official" LP fan thread; whether we want to keep using it (because of its amusing history of inauspicious beginnings quickly overcome) or let it fall off the front page and make a "clean" one is, I think, best left to Whatever You All End Up Doing. ^_o

edit: I just realized that in all my rambling I didn't really indicate what I would think or do about, for instance, a "regular member in good standing" posting a link to their own LPs in a "The Let's Play Fan Thread". My post about keeping all self-made videos out is probably more exclusive than it needs to be. A single humble sample of finest work, which shows no indication of turning into a marketing campaign, would likely be appreciated and not bother anybody. But, there's also something I like about having it be a fan thread where all the links have at least a little bit of implicit third-party endorsement. \_(ツ)_/
    Last edited by Berzee; 02-06-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I follow a pretty simple personal rule when posting in forums about something I've made/written. That is: can the contents of my post, without someone following the link or watching the video, create discussion on it's own? So if it's a piece of writing, I quote a bunch of it that lays out the main argument. If it's a video, I'd again write out the crux of it to get people talking.

If I have to go to someone's site or watch someone's video to understand what their point is, that's just marketing.

Honesty goes a long way. I think that if you post a link for shameless plugging at least be honest about it and link it when it adds something to the discussion.
    Obviously it won't be well received if it's everything the poster does in the forum. But if it's done on occasion I think that gets people better predisposed to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Honesty goes a long way. I think that if you post a link for shameless plugging at least be honest about it and link it when it adds something to the discussion.
    Obviously it won't be well received if it's everything the poster does in the forum. But if it's done on occasion I think that gets people better predisposed to it.
    again, if something youre promoting could be done by a spambot, it will get deleted. And that richard guy only got ten posts so he could post into the general gaming forum, about his own project. didnt quite care about anything around here.

I know that seems very inbreedy, but you know, his reaction did say it all.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Even if it IS all the user does, I don't mind so much if they are generally on-topic and not constantly trying to get around the rules.

The FireFlower Games guy who semi-regularly posts in the bargains thread is a good example. To my recollection, all he does is post about sales on the site and answer basic questions like "Will I get a desura/steam key for Zigfrak?", but he stays in the Bargains Thread and generally checks back frequently to see if anyone commented.

Different situation, obviously. I can't think of a case where someone who constantly says "That's a great game, I made a video" would be appropriate. But at the same time, I am not inherently opposed to a person who is purely here to spam. Just so long as they at least attempt to interact with the community and stick to logical places.

And as for the thread: I originally was all for a separate thread, but now I really like the following: Use magic mod powers to edit the first post into some set of rules, go through Spammer's posts and comment out any videos of his, and leave the rest for posterity. Because it IS hilarious how quickly that got away from him, and I think it says something about the RPS forums in that we actually do like the concept of the thread.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Regarding the E3 thread turning into back and forth about feminism and women and so on and so forth:

Im doing an absolute ban on discussing it. Feel free to create another thread, if you can keep it civil. This is out of experience with threads on the subject matter turning vile in no time.

I dont think the infraction points are too harsh, after all, they fade after 30 days. (none given out so far)
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 11-06-2014 at 03:13 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Regarding the E3 thread turning into back and forth about feminism and women and so on and so forth:

Im doing an absolute ban on discussing it. Feel free to create another thread, if you can keep it civil. This is out of experience with threads on the subject matter turning vile in no time.

I dont think the infraction points are too harsh, after all, they fade after 30 days. (none given out so far)
    As the person who (sorta) got the ball rolling but answering to someone, I apologize. It was stronger than me.
    There's another thread now, so all is good.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

turned out for the best, in my eyes.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications