Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    He may be thinking of "One Nation Under God", which is definitely a US thing. I can see it getting translated to German and Back to English oddly. It's also why I've blanket refused to have children in the US (my partner is from the US, but she prefers London so it's mostly hot air on my part).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    He may be thinking of "One Nation Under God", which is definitely a US thing. I can see it getting translated to German and Back to English oddly. It's also why I've blanket refused to have children in the US (my partner is from the US, but she prefers London so it's mostly hot air on my part).
    Yeah that (and "In God We Trust" on the moneys) are the kinds of things that are annoying and are probably never going to go away, if only because bringing it up for a vote will be pretty offensive to a significant part of the population since it WILL actually be "an attack on religion". Its just the kind of relic you can't get rid of.

By the way, isn't The Queen technically the head of the Church of England? :p
    Although, how The Queen works with UK culture has always kind of confused me. Legally the royal family are just a bunch of figure heads nobody ever has to listen to, right?
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Yeah that (and "In God We Trust" on the moneys) are the kinds of things that are annoying and are probably never going to go away, if only because bringing it up for a vote will be pretty offensive to a significant part of the population since it WILL actually be "an attack on religion". Its just the kind of relic you can't get rid of.

By the way, isn't The Queen technically the head of the Church of England? :p
    Although, how The Queen works with UK culture has always kind of confused me. Legally the royal family are just a bunch of figure heads nobody ever has to listen to, right?
    Ah the British Constitution is a magical thing. Nobody actually understands it. There isn't an actual official constitution or a book of rules on how it all works. It's just a set of traditions which are a mix of bills passed into law and just stuff that always existed. But it's generally whatever mix of stuff turns out to be practical.

As for the Queen. Technically she has supreme executive power, though that has a whole load of qualifications. So she can technically dismiss the government, call a new election, refuse to pass a bill into law etc. But actually she gives that royal prerogative to the Government (Prime minister etc.) who are part of the legislature. On the understanding that if she attempts to use it herself we'd probably cut off her head.

There's also the Privy Council which advices the Queen in the use of her powers and can issue orders in council, which are also laws (but haven't been near parliament), that typically gets used for things like granting universities their charter, giving royal seals to professional bodies (Royal Society for Scientists for example). However the council is generally made of the current Government and maybe a few other people like head judges. So again the Queen doesn't do anything apart from sign stuff the elected government tells her to. Again all under the tacit assumption we'd cut her head off, or if the Government tried passing something dodgy that way, cut off their heads.

They keep trying to formalise all this but it's a mess.

Oh and for Religion. Technically the Queen is Head of the Church of England, and they have appointees in the House of Lords (which is a body of review not the legislature itself), they're also historically the established church of the country. But various laws and the queens oath at coronation means they all have to promise to tolerate all other religions. Also the churches in Scotland and Wales aren't established and the Queen is just an ordinary member of them who makes an oath to defend them or something.

So yeah lots of stuff technically is de jure in charge of everything but de facto/de rigueur just a rubber stamp. Same goes for the Established church.

I'm not going to defend it for being a sensible solution. But the habit of just making do means; that when people say we should all swear oaths or salute a flag, they get told to fuck off.

EDIT: I realise this is of very little help re-reading it. Basically it's representative democracy that matches what John Locke suggested but not in any way anything like they way he would have organised it.
    Last edited by Zephro; 23-10-2013 at 06:03 PM.

He may be thinking of "One Nation Under God", which is definitely a US thing. I can see it getting translated to German and Back to English oddly.
    Not mixing them up, nope.

Please get your facts straight before you stereotype and mock an entire country. You would think someone from GERMANY would understand how this could be annoying and/or offensive.
    Wiki also says that it's "still occasionally used to describe the United States overall". If you quote that page against me you should read all of it. ;) I will refrain from using that term in the future, though.
    Last edited by c-Row; 23-10-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    Not mixing them up, nope.

Wiki also says that it's "still occasionally used to describe the United States overall". If you quote that page against me you should read all of it.
    Yup, clearly. Because it is occasionally used by people you know and is the slogan of New Zealand it is indicative of the entire nation. Oy

So yeah lots of stuff technically is de jure in charge of everything but de facto/de rigueur just a rubber stamp. Same goes for the Established church.

I'm not going to defend it for being a sensible solution. But the habit of just making do means; that when people say we should all swear oaths or salute a flag, they get told to fuck off.

EDIT: I realise this is of very little help re-reading it. Basically it's representative democracy that matches what John Locke suggested but not in any way anything like they way he would have organised it.
    Heh, good to know where we Americans get the convoluted as crap system that may or may not actually have seemed like a good idea when it was being set up from :p
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Yup, clearly. Because it is occasionally used by people you know and is the slogan of New Zealand it is indicative of the entire nation. Oy
    Apparently enough people think so to warrant a mention there, and Google is full of well-respected websites using that term as well. Also, well done ignoring the part where I offered reconsidering my opinion, though I'll just presume you started writing your reply before my last edit.

Reminds me why I usually stay away from the sulfuric pit that is the politics forum on other sites.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Network Hub
    Fun fact: the "under God" was only added to the "one nation" part of the pledge of allegiance in 1948, and "In God we trust" was adopted as the official motto of the US in 1956 (though it appeared on coins earlier). Historically speaking it's a rather recent development.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Historically speaking it's a rather recent development.
    Thanks McCarthy.

New poll shows 75% disapproval of most Republicans remaining in office.

According to the poll, only a third say they have a great deal or some confidence in the people who run government, down 10 points since May. And only 14% say they are satisfied with the way the nation is being governed. "That's an 11-point drop since March and is lower than the 26% who felt that way in September of 1973, when the Watergate crisis was in full swing," Holland added.
    See Europeans, we're not all backwards hicks.
    Last edited by Fumarole; 23-10-2013 at 11:29 PM.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Has anyone suggested reforming anything in light of this?

I read the title of this thread as "Affordable Hitler care", everytime.

Has anyone suggested reforming anything in light of this?
    Nah, once the shutdown ended most people stopped caring outside of "Internets broke" with respect to the marketplace site.

Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    Fun fact: the "under God" was only added to the "one nation" part of the pledge of allegiance in 1948, and "In God we trust" was adopted as the official motto of the US in 1956 (though it appeared on coins earlier). Historically speaking it's a rather recent development.
    Meh. We are a young nation. Europe had a lot longer to spread out their stupidity, we feel a need to rush through our "Why the hell did we do that?" moments :p