Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Server is set up. Here's how it works:

- We're using Tshock as a server. It is regular Terraria with some expanded commands for administrators.
    - There are 3 types of users: mods, bears and guests

* guests cannot build or destroy anything, can only explore
    * bears are regular players
    * mods are regular players that can also mute, kick and ban players

Bears:
    - Once a mod has created your account, please do /login YOUR_USERNAME YOUR_ASSIGNED_PASSWORD
    - After logging in, please do /password YOUR_ASSIGNED_PASSWORD A_NEW_PASSWORD
    - You're set!

Mods:
    - If you want to promote a guest to bear status, please do /user add USERNAME USER_PASSWORD bears (I recommend using the user name as the password, i.e. /user add Player1 Player1 bears)
    - Whisper the guest user with /w GUEST_USERNAME you can login now!
    - Please remind them to change their password inmediately after logging in.
    - If you have to kick, ban or mute anyone, just do /kick USERNAME , /ban USERNAME (or /banip IP_ADDRESS) and /mute USERNAME
    - You can force a world save with /save
    - If someone wants mod status, please contact me, it's no big deal, but I'd rather do those myself.

I'll set up a backup system for every 30 mins and 48 hours of history (have to do the math on disk size, but that should cover any unexpected problems even through weekends.)

Edit: Thanks for your kind offer, Dewi, no donations are needed. I enjoy playing with other nice people and if you're enjoying the server, then it's win-win. :)

Also be aware Tshock can do more stuff than this, and there are a host of plugins and add-ons for it. I'll read the literature and see what's out there. As an example, there's the possibility of saving your location on exit and spawning there when you log back in. I asked, but it semt wildly unpopular, so we don't use it. ;)
    Last edited by zanchito; 03-10-2013 at 11:37 PM.

updated the first post.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

URGENT: the server needs the new update!
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Network Hub
    Thanks for the tip, Quanta, I'm doing the update and a few other things I wanted to try. Server will be up un 1 hour or so, but I'll edit this post to confirm.

Okay, guys, server is running. Sorry for the delay, I had to do quite a bit of system maintenance on the side, but I got to add a couple of things or three to the map I'm sure you explorer types will enjoy. Cheers!
    Last edited by zanchito; 04-10-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thanks for the server, Zanchito. If you need donations or something to keep it running, just ask.

Can't wait to join the server this night.

can we have a list of character names that need normal access? or does the character need to be on the world in order to register?
    - Tom De Roeck.

Network Hub
    The registering proccess doesn't require the user to be online, although it's more convenient because of the password thing (otherwise it can be sent through PM in here).

Anyway, there are 5 mods, if someone goes online and needs permission, chances are very high someone on the server can do it on the spot.

Let me check, Quanta, I think you don't have an account yet.

Edit. Account created, sent you a PM.

There are two main towns in the server, the one around spawn and another one to the far west for those who like to play more slowly.
    Last edited by zanchito; 04-10-2013 at 03:14 PM.

I'd realy like to get in on this and visit the server. I have a server up myself (rubbish home connection though), with a new toon, but friends aren't quite as addicted as me so i'm often on my lonesome. If someone could set me up a status so I could help build/mine that'd be great :]

My steam info: http://steamcommunity.com/id/memphix/

Thankyou kindly.

Network Hub
    Hop in and ask!

Network Hub
    Guys, about storage:

remember the server is rather public, so anything you put in a chest is unprotected. You can use piggy banks and safes as specific personal storage that can't be accessed by others, so if you want to store anything important, use one of those. ANY piggy bank or ANY safe will work, they just open a special character inventory, even if they were build by someone else:

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Piggy_Bank
    http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Safe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Just checked it out. You guys built a lot already. and are already in hardmode?

Network Hub
    No, we're holding hard mode until the untwinked people feel comfortable going on. :) Looking forward to meeting you there!

Edit: completed hellevator at lofi, damn that was a long time digging! Just jump down carelessly and when you get to the blue torches (you'll see them, don't worry), move left and press down to hold on to the rope. Safe! There's even a bonfire at the bottom to restore life.
    Last edited by zanchito; 06-10-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    the helleporter is a teleporter next to spawn. direct to hell!. hell is partially tamed with a long platform to the right.

can wait for hardmode :D

i should really come back andd try my new tiger claws. cheers zan.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Quote Originally Posted by zanchito View Post
    No, we're holding hard mode until the untwinked people feel comfortable going on. :) Looking forward to meeting you there!
    Hard mode's already on. That's what happens when characters in full TEEdit'd gear are let in.

EDIT: Or not, but WoF is being farmed anyway.
    Last edited by Revolving Ocelot; 06-10-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Network Hub

Stargate Terraria

No, hardmode is off, forcefully disabled by the server, don't worry.

Anyway, I was thinking of doing an event series, mostly for the fun and enjoyment of untwinked players:

Stargate Terraria
    A series of adventures through strange and unknown worlds. Adventure! Exploration! Romance! Bears!

What? Our characters will be jumping into different maps every few days to experience different special features available only during map generation (special dungeons,treasures and biomes). Also will have some acclaimed hand crafted maps specially designed for exploration and adventuring in normal mode!

Who? RPS forum people and server visitors who started with untwinked characters. Equipment and characters will be monitored to avoid exploits / hard mode gear, but otherwise we get to keep our progression (hearts, mana, equipment).

When? Starting Wednesday 9 October, 21:00 (open to discussion)

How often? Worlds will phase out every 72 hours (open to discussion)

But I spent a lot of time creating a cool home! Do not worry, if anyone wants their house/special project ported between worlds, we can do it. In the end, though, we will come back to RPS world, beat the crap out of the wall of flesh and go hardmode (unless you guys like another map better). Players who want to port their home from their single player world to the RPS worlds will get a chance to do so (again, if the home is something sensible in size and doesn't feature hard mode content)

But we could do something else entirely (or complimentarily, if that's a word): build a "starbase" with one room for each of us, a few common rooms (like a trophy room to leave a keepsake from each world we visit) and port it from world to world, as it gets filled, grows and expands. What do you think?

Small print: When we started the server, we were using a different software that allowed much less control, which means that some parts of the map have been drained of resources before players could get to them (treasure chests, hearts, dungeon, etc.) Now that we have better control over them, regular players should get a chance to enjoy this content. Also, there are many cool features that can be created randomly during world generation, and it'd be pretty neat getting to experience them. I'll also change the server IP when we start the event and passwording it again.

So, guys, if you like the idea, or hate it, or have any proposition, let me know! I think this could be great fun and fix some shortcomings we've endured, but the most important thing as a community server is that you guys can play and enjoy the game the way you want to do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zanchito; 07-10-2013 at 01:02 PM.

but wont that sortof make our problems of "having lead and tungsten" larger, if we find iron and silver somewhere else?
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I think that sounds like a really cool idea.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    but wont that sortof make our problems of "having lead and tungsten" larger, if we find iron and silver somewhere else?
    That's actually the most probable concern, but in my experience moving single player characters from world to world, it's really not much of a problem after the second transfer. Also, as the server is more controlled now (and I will be implementing chest protection too so we can have safe shared stuff), the amount of metal available to a single person will actually increase (from hand-me-downs and unused mined metals), as this is only an issue with lower tier armors that tend to be outdated relatively quickly.

As a side note, I'll be changing the server IP one last time and passwording it again when we start.

Edited the event post to include the Starbase
    Last edited by zanchito; 07-10-2013 at 10:31 AM.

I actually really like this idea. It's been really annoying me all the twinks looting the sky islands and finding all the underground chests. Would it be worth perhaps starting new characters again for this? Everyone? would n=mean more working together for a common goal!