Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I'd be up for doing something like this with a brand new character. I hate twinking in games like Terraria or Minecraft. It's no fun for me to start a new world over where I'm bringing in my hardmode gear that basically negates the challenge of the first part of the game.

I like the idea of this, rotating between maps and having fun as we go along and seeing what we end up with.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I've seen some servers use a mod (SSC?) that basically "saves" a character's inventory to the server itself. Other items on the character that are brought in from elsewhere are swapped out for only the stuff you've gathered on the server itself. So if you've done the hard grind of Molten Armour on RPS, good, you keep it. Bring in a Terra Blade from your hax0r'd single player map? Gone, but your personal client-side character data still keeps it stored so you'll have it once more when you go back to SP. If you do occasional map resets every few days it'd be worth considering.

Also you can use TEdit to make all the ores vanilla/1.2 or whatever. Get the brush tool at largest possible size, select the thing you want and what existing tiles you want to mask eg. masking gold to get the equivalent platinum, then just swipe it across the entire map and it'll replace every instance of gold with platinum. It doesn't quite display itself in TEdit itself - either blank squares or pink stuff, but pointing at the specific points should state that it's platinum.

For now, there are some sneaky elements of hard mode in that the existing mods don't cover, which I've noticed previously but didn't recognise. I'm guessing there're settings to disable Hallow/Corruption spread and spawns, but some of the new 1.2 spawns in hardmode (like the Red Devils in Hell, they shoot 150 damage tridents!) and the occasional mushroom monster from our farm above don't seem to be covered, just to make life interesting.

I don't mind restarting, or even going mediumcore when we get the chest safety going on (to have hand me downs and backup equipment) so we actually have to collaborate, but I also understand if some people are hesitant to throw away their current progress (I could be being overly cautious about people's preferences too). Let me propose one thing:

We start new characters, but we get to customize our character at the start with a choice 2 of the following at will and 2 more at random (chosen by throwing server-side dice during the event or on first login for people who can't join):
    - 1 silver level tool (pickaxe, hammer or axe)
    - 1 silver level weapon (sword, short sword, bow+200 fire arrows, boomerang or other similar special weapon, including magic-based weapons)
    - 2 mana crystals (blue stars)
    - 1 heart crystal
    - 1 piece of gold armour
    - 1 random equipment treasure
    - 1 magic mirror (teleports to home on use, I'll probably enable server side characters to keep things under control and bug off exploiters. This means you stay where you were on your last login)

It's just an idea, but it could give characters a bit of diferentiation at the start, diminish the initial grind to get started without being very twinky and make things a bit more fun.

I really want to go hardmode during this series of events, I've not played HM much at all and I'm intrigued by it. Again, these are all proposals, I want want to have as many people enjoying themselves as possible.
    Last edited by zanchito; 07-10-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I am currently playing hardmode in my singleplayer map. And is epic. I feel the server should move to hardmode as soon as possible, so everyone enjoy that. The Terraria 1.0 experience is ok for a first run, but weak if you already did it. All the changes of 1.1 and 1.2 turn terraria in Hardmode in a new beautiful and terrible new game, a beautiful mad game.
    Last edited by Tei; 07-10-2013 at 01:34 PM.

I dont want to lose my climbing gear, though. Also, I dont want to start another new character, I want to keep QuantaCat. Maybe if I just get rid of all his equipment and stuff, bar a gold armour piece, an ice boomerang and the claws? I didnt get many mana or heart stuffs anyway.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Yeah, don't worry, we'll find a way for that, Quanta. The main problem aren't the regulars, but the endgame-twinked chars.

Tei: we'll go through a few maps (i've got some interesting stuff around), but as soon as we're ready for hard mode, we'll be hitting it.

So, about the actual event attendance, is this Wednesday at 9pm (UK time) good?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    That might be a bit late for some people. 9pm UK is like 10pm in most of Europe. I think most other groups kick off their games about 7pm UK to give more people longer to play before logging off to go to bed to get up for work/college the next day.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Okay, Wednesday 7PM UK time?

Quote Originally Posted by zanchito View Post
    Okay, Wednesday 7PM UK time?
    I should be able to sack off PS2 on Wednesday for some Terraria. Jesus_Phish, whats your Terraria name. have I seen you ingame?

Sounds like a great idea to me, a nice little series of adventures before the reputed madness of hard mode. I'll be sure to check this out once it goes up!

For the record I'd also have no problems with starting a fresh character for these events, I really enjoy the co-operative building and survival elements that come with having everyone at a similar level.

Quote Originally Posted by Hells View Post
    Sounds like a great idea to me, a nice little series of adventures before the reputed madness of hard mode. I'll be sure to check this out once it goes up!

For the record I'd also have no problems with starting a fresh character for these events, I really enjoy the co-operative building and survival elements that come with having everyone at a similar level.
    have you been up to something in the desert Zan?

Maybe. Maybe that'll be changing over time until wednesday at 19:00 GMT

I love it! Nice touch man

We're in the top 10 on Google for "Terraria 1.2 server" now, which is why I've been seeing so many new people today. Stop being so popular, guys!

Top search result now apprently. Woop de doo.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    If I'm not too sleepy. Remade character to be more recognizeable.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Hah, all things have their explanation. Well, given this development, I'm going to have to get professional about permissions, logins and stuff. All these years of managing government and banking computer security will finally become useful!

Quote Originally Posted by zanchito View Post
    Hah, all things have their explanation. Well, given this development, I'm going to have to get professional about permissions, logins and stuff. All these years of managing government and banking computer security will finally become useful!
    So THAT explains the confined groups and limited rights, even for mods :P

All things have an explanation indeed.

shit, did I crash the server?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."