Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Watch Dogs system requirements: quad core, 64 bit, more

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/3/479...rts-x64-bit-os

For Watch Dogs' minimum specs, players will require a DirectX 11 GPU with at least 1GB of VRAM, along with a quad core CPU and at least 4GB of RAM. Example GPUs include NVidia GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD 5770, and an Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 or AMD Phenom X4 9750.

Users aiming to reach the game's recommended specifications will require a DirectX 11 card with at least 2GB of VRAM, an eight core CPU and 8GB of RAM. Ubisoft's example GPUs include NVidia GTX560 ti or AMD Radeon HD 7850 and for CPUs the Intel Core i7-3770 or AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core CPU.

To reach Watch Dogs' Ultra specifications, users will need a DirectX 11 GPU with at least 2GB of VRAM, an eight core CPU or more and 8GB of RAM or more.
    No i3 wanted here!

Is the PC build built to use the PS4/Xbone hardware in mind, seeing the i7/8 core spec?

Ill be annoyed if they dont use the CPU properly, though.

Since Ive always had Quad Core since 5 years, I think Ill be fine.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I'm betting it's not going to be using the CPU properly. That's just my prediction, because I've never seen it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I hope my QosmioF60 can still run it. AC3 runs quite well in medium details in the native resolution.
    Steam
    Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Apparently these system requirements are much higher than what the game will actually need to run.

[According to the french Ubisoft twitter account...these are still considered unoptimized or something like that]

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImpZA View Post
    these are still considered unoptimized or something like that
    I believe the term is "Damage Control"
    Steam
    Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    To reach Watch Dogs' Ultra specifications, users will need a DirectX 11 GPU with at least 2GB of VRAM, an eight core CPU or more and 8GB of RAM or more.
    Compared with Steam's hardware survey:
    DirectX 11 GPU: 62.79%
    2GB of VRAM or more: 17%-20%
    Eight core CPU or more: 0.33%
    8GB of RAM or more: 37%

Those descriptions don't help much when you leave out important details like resolution and MSAA etc, though. Most desktop PCs are probably running 1920x1080 (not 1200, for shame) these days (33% according to Steam), with about 10% stuck at the previous standard 1680x1050, and another sizeable number of people (23%) at 1366x768, who are probably laptop users.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    So when they say "Eight Core" but they suggest an i7 ... are they talking threads, or cores? Because the i7 has 4 physical cores ...
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Hopefully it's well optimised. AC3 ran like ass on my PC, and I don't really know why.
    steam: sketch

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Hopefully it's well optimised. AC3 ran like ass on my PC, and I don't really know why.
    Given that the 360/PS3 don't have any of these, I'm a little confused. Surely they could include a DX9 executable that's the 360 version, and a DX11 executable that's the "next-gen" version?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    Given that the 360/PS3 don't have any of these, I'm a little confused. Surely they could include a DX9 executable that's the 360 version, and a DX11 executable that's the "next-gen" version?
    The consoles might have a different rendering path for 360/PS3, maybe they've just enforced DX11 as a minimum to avoid having to include DX9 support. Which IMO is fine - as the Steam survey says over half of us have DX11 cards and I'd wager that most of us interested in Watch Dogs on PC would have a relatively recent GPU which supports DX11. We can't keep clinging to the past for the sake of it.

Regarding the specs - they're ultra specs, I'm going to guess that they'll go beyond console-level visuals, plus allowing for general PC operating overheads. We're on the cusp of 'next gen' and we'll probably go through another upgrade cycle. Really the period from the 360/PS3 up until now has been remarkably quiet, we're long overdue for new gear. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Isn't that Core Q6600 among the very first quad-core CPU models of Intel? Unless UBI explicitly declares that this game requires quad-core CPU, otherwise Q6600 should perform much more inferior to most i3/i5 CPUs since Q6600 has been obsolete for long. Plus, even back then Core Q6600 isn't really for gaming purpose. I really doubt it makes any economic sense to install more than 4GB ram for it. Not matter how cheap DDR3 rams are these days, once installed ram consume electricity once power is on.

Other than that, hardware spec. requirement here isn't really that impressive. Plus, even upcoming gen game consoles aren't really that powerful, to be honest. Even my years old desktop with HD4870 1GB ram looks better than them if not for the fact XBOX One runs DX11.
    Last edited by squirrel; 04-10-2013 at 06:32 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, forcing DX11 and specs might be for compatibility and ease of porting. Also, they might not get away with pop in, low res textures and simple geometry on a pc. (Bitter with consoles, me? No. Just pedantic over specs and poly counts. ;) )

Eight core CPU recommended? Does Intel even have anything in their consumer line that meets that requirement or is Ubi optimizing this for AMD users only (Unlikely since they have a Nvidia deal at the moment)?

Edit: Mmmm... They do mention the i7-3770 (Which has 4 cores, right?). So the game will take advantage of hyperthreading?
    Last edited by buemba; 04-10-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    Add me: Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Well if I cared, I could run on High settings on my laptop, which is interesting.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    Well if I cared, I could run on High settings on my laptop, which is interesting.
    Same. But my laptop is a beast.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Network Hub
    Remember that your average quad-core is running at around twice the speed of the Xbones/PS4 8 core. Even then I don't think the consoles promise access to all 8 cores for developers, so I highly doubt it will even make effective use of 4-6.

Overall it looks more like someone copied the console spec and went yeah PCs basically the same right?
    Last edited by byteCrunch; 04-10-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by byteCrunch View Post
    Remember that your average quad-core is running at around twice the speed of the Xbones/PS4 8 core. Even then I don't think the consoles promise access to all 8 cores for developers, so I highly doubt it will even make effective use of 4-6.

Overall it looks more like someone copied the console spec and went yeah PCs basically the same right?
    Look at the progression of games throughout the 7 years of Xbox360 for example. The initial specs mean bugger all. Years of tailor making games to a specific, unchanging architecture and rule-set is bloody amazing in comparison to PC development.

So in say....4? years time when game Devs have had access to the ps4/Xbone the games are going to look amazing. And so with the PC ports.

Also as to the whole thread...I just bearly scrape the minimum requirements :S
    Sure I have an Ivy Bridge I7, sure I have 16gb of ram, sure I have raided SSD's...but I still run a GTX480 Bitches, one of the first DirectX 11 cards on the market.

This is going to be a wierd year for me if I don't upgrade my GFX, BF4, Watchdogs, X:Rebirth. Damn

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Case View Post
    Look at the progression of games throughout the 7 years of Xbox360 for example. The initial specs mean bugger all. Years of tailor making games to a specific, unchanging architecture and rule-set is bloody amazing in comparison to PC development.

So in say....4? years time when game Devs have had access to the ps4/Xbone the games are going to look amazing. And so with the PC ports.
    Yes all those amazing optimisations like running a game at sub 720p, tiny textures, barely scraping 20-30 fps or hacks like GTAV streaming from two different medias just to try and keep up; even then it struggles. Yes consoles games are better looking but I wouldn't say it was an enormous leap. And with next-gen developers barely shooting for 1080p let alone a solid 60fps as well. This fact is pretty unlikely to change if the current generation is anything to go by, where performance is readily sacrificed for some pointless extra graphical effect.

Look at games like Ryse which has been in development for a long time, developed by people that know their stuff when it comes to the technical aspects are struggling pushing for 900p at 30fps. I don't think the fact it is new hardware is really the entire crux of the issue.

Also with the increasing sophistication of consoles the interference from the operating system is increasing, particularly when looking at the Xbone and it's heavy emphasis on multi-tasking, switching between processes takes time (in fact it is just wasted time the CPU does no useful work). The idea that when developing game you get the full power of the machine really isn't the case and has not been for a long time.
    Last edited by byteCrunch; 04-10-2013 at 11:44 PM.