Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node

What are you playing at the moment.....on mobiles and/or browsers?

These two platforms don't get enough credit frankly. Mobiles especially! There's some really good games out there and a bit of googling revealed this - http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...oid-games-2013 - which led to some outstanding games. Btw, Guardian's entire technology/online section is surprisingly good, especially regarding games. I'm on android but i'll be surprised if there are many games that are iOS/android exclusive. I have no clue about windows phone so sorry nokia users!

It would be helpful if people could list the freemium options present in these games or not. These make or break mobile games for some people, especially those with ad banners. Prices will vary between regions btw so keep that in mind. I'm in India and prices can be good here. Kingdom Rush is 60 rupees (60 pence!) and its sequel is 200 (1.99 pounds) for a comparison basis. Yes, my work keyboard lacks the pound sign. :(

Currently playing:

Frozen Front, intrusive freemium - old school, hex based, world war 2 turn based strategy. Yes, you heard right and somewhat reminiscent of Panzer General. Its well balanced, has tight mechanics and I like how the AI's turn is presented as an old school sepia toned movie with full whirring sound. Multiplayer is available which is a really nice bonus as human vs human is where this game really shines. Not the hardest TBS i've played but good in short bursts. Does have an annoying ad banner however, in fact so annoying I paid. That aside, the standard freemium purchases are available but as its not the toughest game so I doubt most of us will pay for anything (aside from that ad banner, holy shit).

Cubed Rally Redline, totally free!! - utterly charming and brilliant endless runner. Lovely 8 bit inspired look, controls perfectly, runs like butter down the side of a non-stick hot pan, absolutely no freemium bull anywhere and adds a lot of interesting mechanics to what is now a well traversed genre. Apparently, this is all 1 guy too. Did I mention the awesome music from 8bitweapon?

Punch Quest!, 69p but incredibly generous rewards and optional freemium - you know how some games just put a gigantic grin on your face and you're screaming in your head "Holy shit, I love this game"? Punch Quest is one of those. Part endless runner, part sideways scrolling brawler with a control scheme that suits mobiles perfectly. Pick avatar - berzerker/valkyria - start game, wreak havoc. Don't let the simple look and controls fool you from what is a surprisingly well realised brawling mechanic that even manages to incorporate blocking just right.

Flow Free and Flow Free Bridges, free with optional freemium - standard connect the dots puzzler with hundreds and hundreds of levels on different sized boards. Simple, effective, well presented, a gargantuan generosity with the number of levels and an excellent mechanic in the Bridges sequel to keep things fresh and freemium kept well out of sight. Same developers as Punch Quest above.

Robot Unicorn Attack 2, optional freemium - yes, same robot unicorn as the one on the adult swim website. Lovingly updated for phone and surprisingly good looking game too. Its utter ludicrousness is ever present and in a spot of genius, they basically forced my hand to buy a song from their store - namely The Touch, I...I couldn't resist! :( The combination of winged flying unicorn with rainbow streak and this song was too much. A large number of customisation options for your unicorn too. There's also some online shenanigans in two sides battling each other but haven't dabbled yet so no clue.

Kingdom Rush and Kingdom Rush: Frontiers, 69p and 1.99 pounds and both with optional freemium - outstanding tower defense games. Very old school, ruthless with balance and challenge, has heroes + towers and on hard and above will joyously crush your spirit.

On browser, Cookie Clicker - I seriously cannot stop playing this.
    Last edited by khaz; 07-10-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Network Hub
    Fallen London in browser : This game can't be praised enough, a narrative free-form game that fits really well with the "10 actions then wait until they recharge" free2play business model.
    Try it now.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    On browser, Cookie Clicker - I seriously cannot stop playing this.
    Only Cookie Clicker for me, I usually don't play browser games though. I used to play Utopia, which is awesome too (and has been running for ages). It does require a lot of time though, and you really have to log in each day to get the most out of it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by AshEnke View Post
    Fallen London in browser : This game can't be praised enough, a narrative free-form game that fits really well with the "10 actions then wait until they recharge" free2play business model.
    Try it now.
    Playing it now. While the browser "wait 10 minutes for next action" mechanic cripples it horribly and probably makes it unappealing to way too many people than it should, it is a truly unique and narratively succulent experience.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    http://www.die2nite.com/

This is probably THE greatest browser game.
    It's a 40 person zombie survival economic post-apo strategy co-op.
    Yeah, that's right, 40 real players are managing one town that is the only zombie-free heaven in postapocalyptic world.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    That sounds amazing Gamecat. Gonna try that. Are the towns always randomised or can you build one with friends/invites?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Shouldn't this be in the Other Formats section or whatever it is? That being said -

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    These two platforms don't get enough credit frankly. Mobiles especially! There's some really good games out there and a bit of googling revealed this - http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...oid-games-2013 - which led to some outstanding games. Btw, Guardian's entire technology/online section is surprisingly good, especially regarding games. I'm on android but i'll be surprised if there are many games that are iOS/android exclusive. I have no clue about windows phone so sorry nokia users!
    While I really do hate to be That Guy, the two platforms are nowhere near parity (though it's much better than it was just twelve months ago, say). iOS still flattens Android in that respect. Just looking at my iPod - Simogo don't develop for Android yet (Beat Sneak Bandit and Year Walk to name but two), neither do Foursaken (Block Fortress, among several others), neither do Illusion Labs (the brilliant Blast-A-Way), the Android version of Arc Squadron still hasn't turned up, Square Enix are lagging behind (you bring Drakerider over but no Final Fantasy Tactics, Symphonica or Bloodmasque?), Cave are lagging behind (still only three of their titles on Android, and all licensed to G-Rev, ugh, spit, ptui), Taito still haven't ported Darius Burst, no Helsing's Fire, no Joe Danger, no Injustice, no Jacob Jones, no Lili, no Lums, no Solstice Arena, no Tonesphere, no Warhammer Quest...

...there are a ton of iOS exclusives, basically, or as good as (and very little exclusive to Android to make it worth it as a gaming platform - openness and ease of customisation is another argument, of course). Again, Android is doing much better, but it's still got a long way to go.

EDIT: Also, while I applaud the Guardian for effort (they do try a lot harder than most mainstream media) plenty of the games on that list are resolutely terrible. If anyone seriously tries to recommend Ravensword to your face, the correct response is to run screaming in the opposite direction without stopping.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 07-10-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Shouldn't this be in the Other Formats section or whatever it is?
    Yes, I suppose you're correct. Moved. :)

On-topic, I second the Kingdom Rush love -- they're the best TD games I've played on mobile.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    That sounds amazing Gamecat. Gonna try that. Are the towns always randomised or can you build one with friends/invites?
    When I was playing this game few years ago it was mostly random, but you also had friends list so you and 3-5 of your friends could play in the same city. This is anti-abuse system to prevent situations like highly organised group going into top 10 cities because they have optimal strategy. With strangers things are going to be much interesing. Will you trust when someone will write that he will close gates at night (1 AP point needed)? I once promised it but totally forgot about it (I was too busy playing minesweeper, lol) and nice organised city went to hell as zombies roamed into it, slaughtering every player. Hahaha.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Playing through the campaign of Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes despite hardly ever touching it on my Steam account. This game feels like it was made for mobile.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Playing through the campaign of Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes despite hardly ever touching it on my Steam account. This game feels like it was made for mobile.
    It was made for DS, so yes, it was. Kind of. I love that game so much.

I'm really enjoying Punch Quest, and Kingdom Rush: Frontiers, as above.

Time Surfer took me a while to figure out, but it's fun for short bursts.

I've played a little Star Command, which is very FTL inspired. No harm there. Good thing to be inspired by. It hasn't quite got its hooks in, but it's got some neat ideas.

Neuroshima Hex is absorbing and cleverly designed, but I don't really feel like the theme and mechanics match up terribly well.

I haven't played in a while, but a shout out to Small General, which is a nice, stripped down wargame with decent depth. I really enjoyed it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Originally a DS title.

Beaten!

Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    It was made for DS, so yes, it was. Kind of. I love that game so much.
    Well, that explains it although I've sworn off all handheld systems since the advent of great smartphone and tablet games in recent years.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Well, that explains it although I've sworn off all handheld systems since the advent of great smartphone and tablet games in recent years.
    If Square would just do an iOS and/or Android port of the Tactics Ogre remake there'd be pretty much nothing I currently envy handhelds for. Some nice stuff here and there, sure, but no system sellers for me.

If Square would just do an iOS and/or Android port of the Tactics Ogre remake there'd be pretty much nothing I currently envy handhelds for. Some nice stuff here and there, sure, but no system sellers for me.
    Heh, that's what I'm currently replaying on my PSP. That game is brutal sometimes. Jeez.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    Heh, that's what I'm currently replaying on my PSP. That game is brutal sometimes. Jeez.
    Really? I never actually finished it because I accidentally wandered into the endless dungeon, and got so far down it that when I came back out all the power-levelling I'd just done pretty much broke all the campaign missions after that. Worst instance of that I'd ever seen in a game, other than perhaps Koei's Bladestorm. I still really, really liked the basic mechanics, and the writing is brilliant, near unparalleled (I can't think of any other game that's made me so sick with misery over the fate of a character who was painted as a naive, duplicitous prick almost from the off) but the sudden lack of any real challenge did sap a huge amount of the fun out of it. I'd love to go back though. Oh, well. Perhaps some day.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/a...er-reasons-why

This (somewhat long) article talks about why Android is losing out to iOS as a gaming platform. I know I look across at the selection available to Apple aficionados with some envy.

Activated Node realitysconcierge's Avatar
    Currently Dumb Ways to Die​.

The way Squeenix is dumping their whole back catalog onto mobile devices, you might get your wish pretty soon. I haven't dabbled with them but I'm sure there are emulators that can run Tactics Ogre, no?

http://www.captainforever.com/captainforever.php
    Captforever.bat
    [WASD, space, drag and drop mouse to build]

http://firstpersontetris.com/
    First Person Tetris

http://www.radicalplay.com/madness/
    Need for Madness

http://www.gameshot.org/?id=1384
    Defender
    Last edited by bad guy; 08-10-2013 at 12:56 PM.