Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

Battlefield 4 advert or maybe new theme crash mobile browsers

I can no longer visit this forum (main page seems okay) on my mobile, I have tried a few browsers but it seems to be a cross betwen whiting out after a few moments (opera mini) or the flash in the advert crippling the browser performance( opera mobile, firefox, default browser)

I am struggling to properly evidence what the issue is with opera mini, but I know that firefoxes adblock doesn't block the forum flash advert.

So yeah... Terrible adverts, mobile theme please.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

actually, adblock blocks everything for me.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    adblock is not fine, it remove one of the ways that make RPS survive

no it doesnt. I pay for a sub.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

I don't use adblock as a matter of course (adblock is working now btw) but because the advert broke the bloody website so get off your high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I don't use adblock as a matter of course (adblock is working now btw) but because the advert broke the bloody website so get off your high horse.
    I assume that was Re: tei? otherwise I didnt get it.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Yes, not you my precious

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Yes, not you my precious
    *GLOWS WHEN FINGERED. (allcaps)
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Ads are ok. Expanding mouseover ads that make the parts of the page I actually want to see bounce up and down repeatedly are not.

That's on Firefox 24.0

Activated Node
    Yeah I've got this problem using Safari on the iPhone. The site isn't loading properly and gives a black screen on which hyperlinks are highlighted in blue but the text in the body of the article or can't be read. Only started when the hyperactive BF advert started.

Adverts are still In, still breaks my mobile browser, Adblock still deployed on my PC in reaction.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's a really terrible, obnoxious ad, for making the forum shift around whenever I have the temerity to mouse over it. I don't like adverts, but I'm vaguely sympathetic to their presence. This one, not at all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just to clarify, I am not against adblock to solve a problem. I thinks thats okay. But as a general rule, I try to avoid it on most websites I like. Since is the thing that help pay the bills.

annoying.jpg

Yeah, this is pretty obnoxious.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times
    Steam

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Luckily I haven't encountered it, but then I don't browse the forums much on my phone.
    I wonder what the page weight is though? Any ideas?
    It seems like a lot of sites have stopped caring about page weight now that broadband is widespread, but my phone is still on a pretty slow connection and having sites that are 2-3mb just for the front page (including ads, etc..) makes them unusable.

Actually, I read that people are much LESS likely to wait for a slow loading site on a mobile device (and it's sure true for me) so it seems like a bad idea in terms of getting visitors.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Luckily I haven't encountered it, but then I don't browse the forums much on my phone.
    I wonder what the page weight is though? Any ideas?
    It seems like a lot of sites have stopped caring about page weight now that broadband is widespread, but my phone is still on a pretty slow connection and having sites that are 2-3mb just for the front page (including ads, etc..) makes them unusable.

Actually, I read that people are much LESS likely to wait for a slow loading site on a mobile device (and it's sure true for me) so it seems like a bad idea in terms of getting visitors.
    3.1MB, 21s to load completely on my DSL, rendering after 3.01 s. The largest individual image is the main BF4 background which weighs in at 500KB.
    Last edited by Estel; 21-10-2013 at 11:29 AM. Reason: typo

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Estel View Post
    3.1MB, 21s to load completely on my DSL, rendering after 3.01 s. The largest individual image is the main BF4 background which weights in at 500KB.
    3.1Mb is pretty ridiculous, especially on a mobile browser. More than double the average.
    On my phone that would take minutes to load.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Let me know when that ad disappears so I can turn adblock off again.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Let me know when that ad disappears so I can turn adblock off again.
    It's gone. And, indeed, the site is a slightly less silly 1.7MB.

THANK YOU

Now why did it take so long for clearly horrible adverts to be removed?