Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AdBlock

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hulu in the US puts ads at spots like you would normally see on TV, but maybe 30-60 seconds less ad time. And watching a few shows in a row we rarely saw if at all the same ads twice. It really did not annoy and one ad showed a good deal that was interesting.

Maybe if we consistently we watch hulu shows we might start to see the same ads, but it was x10 better than twitch and the like which show the same 3 ads on loop essentially. They are really hurting themselves more but I guess it can't be helped if they do not get more advertisers signed on.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Hulu in the US puts ads at spots like you would normally see on TV, but maybe 30-60 seconds less ad time. And watching a few shows in a row we rarely saw if at all the same ads twice. It really did not annoy and one ad showed a good deal that was interesting.

Maybe if we consistently we watch hulu shows we might start to see the same ads, but it was x10 better than twitch and the like which show the same 3 ads on loop essentially. They are really hurting themselves more but I guess it can't be helped if they do not get more advertisers signed on.
    Seems to be luck of the draw as most of my hulu experiences were the same ads over and over.

Fun story: When I discovered that Red Vs Blue didn't end all those years ago (seriously, I thought the end of the Blood Gulch Chronicles was the series finale :p) I binged to catch up with it. Ended up buying a subscription after seeing the same "don't text and drive" ad four times in a row. So there is something to say about annoying the viewer.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Just to chime in: The current background ad (with "Steffan and his game company") was enough for me to pop the adblock on since it REALLY annoys me. I'll check on a weekly basis to see if it is gone by then.

So yeah. Even people who usually try to avoid using adblock will turn it on if the ads are annoying enough.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've gone thermonuclear warfare against ad's a few years ago, multiple blocking methods(Adblock, Ghostery, No-Script) and a search and destroy method against cookies make me a happy camper. Why? Waste of bandwidth and a major virus carrier, multiple sites have been spreading virus infections through ads. If you want to show me ads put them on your own domain, it does pose a risk for me though, since I do always allow scripts from the top domain to be executed. Then again, the server administrator runs the same risk as I do which makes it a more acceptable solution.

Oh well, I dont click on ads anyway and sure dont buy anything through them, I always get the feeling im being shafted one way or another when dealing with marketing people. I did buy one thing through a ad once though, that was a TrackIR 3 Pro, lovely device.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Network Hub
    I block web ads because of their tendency to use fast motion and/or flickering animation to attract attention. I get migraines from flicker, and run Flashblock and Adblock Plus by default as I can't trust advertisers to not try to stab me in the eyeballs with their strobing graphics. People who suffer from epileptic photosensitivity must have it even worse.

These adverts would be illegal to show on TV where there are very strict regulations about rapid flashing graphics, but web advertisers often completely ignore the standards. To make things worse, viewing a monitor a close range is far more problematic than watching a TV from 5 metres away as it takes up more of your field of view, and it's especially bad if your eyes are focused on something like reading text.

It's not like I can selectively unblock trustworthy sites either, even big respectable businesses seem to be publishing flickering adverts, game companies in particular, and there doesn't seem to be any consequence for them. The only way I can see myself not blocking advertising is if there was actual legal enforcement on advert safety like there is for TV.