Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Too many Deus Ex : HR posts too soon?

I'm probably being a little silly here but does anyone else think that there are too many DX:HR post-mortem type articles when 2/3rds of Earths population can't even legally play the game? I preordered the game in part because I wanted to be involved in a bit of the early hype and discussion for once and the site is already full of articles with spoilers and discussions. Maybe RPS have jumped the gun a bit.

Or am I being unreasonable?
    Last edited by BobsLawnService; 25-08-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You are correct, friend.

It would be a better plan to avoid the internet a few days, to avoid get spoiled.

Anyway the game release tomorrow, so is a problem that is going to fix itself :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Can't blame them for wanting to talk about the game while it's fresh in their minds. More cynically, they're probably generating more traffic for the site by posting about it now.

I don't think there are many. But even though I'm currently playing the game I'm not gonna read any article about it until I've finished it. In that regard they do seem to be "too soon". Those kind of things are the one you chat with your friends once you all finished, so see them one or two days after release is strange.
    It's the problem with having the momentum of the release when everybody is talking about the game, and I imagine, the hivemind having already finished the game, have a lot to say about it.

I think they're in a bit of a difficult situation really, being a british-based site with an international following. Posting them now is probably for the best really - those who got their games on the 23rd (or 'bastards' as I like to call them) can read the articles now, and they'll be there waiting for the rest of us once we emerge, sweaty and sated, in a few days time.

I think that Mr. sinomatic is on the ball. Whilst RPS is a British based site, the site has to reach out internationally. They'd only be spoiling it for people who haven't gotten to play it yet if the headlines/Preamble were 'XXXX does XXXX and kills XXXX'. :)

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    I think that Mr. sinomatic is on the ball. Whilst RPS is a British based site, the site has to reach out internationally. They'd only be spoiling it for people who haven't gotten to play it yet if the headlines/Preamble were 'XXXX does XXXX and kills XXXX'. :)
    It's just too bad "reach out internationally" always means "to the US".

Grumble etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinox View Post
    It's just too bad "reach out internationally" always means "to the US".

Grumble etc.
    For sure - that's not the fault of RPS thought, it's the fault of the US release dates.

I think those down under have access to the game too actually, so not just the US in this case.

And I'm not a Mr.

Also, IT IS NOT MIDNIGHT YET WHY IS IT NOT MIDNIGHT?

Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    those who got their games on the 23rd (or 'bastards' as I like to call them)
    I lol'd.

I've read most of RPS' coverage on the game and don't feel I've been spoiled in any significant way. I think they've been careful to avoid that. Science™ sez spoilers don't actually spoil anything anyway.
    Last edited by Rii; 25-08-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think those down under have access to the game too actually, so not just the US in this case.

And I'm not a Mr.

Better call it a night, and check tomorrow. Steam releases are not always in-time, but always use that weird "pacific timezone" thing.

Can't comment on that study, but if that's true for the majority I must be in the minority as I know it dampens my enjoyment to find out details (particularly major plot points or endings) in advance. Then again it was also potentially attributed to feeling embarrassed by our gullibility, which I don't - like watching a magic trick, I'm asking to be deceived and led on a journey, the destination of which is not known to me at the outset.

Tei, steam does actually say it is releasing in a few hours, though I know it's not always (ever?) instantaneous. Less pacific time, more Valve time, I'm betting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    OH NOES, sinomatic is telling the truth!, is going to unlock in 1 hour.

Time to update drivers!

Can't comment on that study, but if that's true for the majority I must be in the minority as I know it dampens my enjoyment to find out details (particularly major plot points or endings) in advance.
    It strikes me as having a grain of truth to it in that I recall the Dune novels made a regular habit of spoiling future plot developments - on one occasion more than a novel in advance - to no ill effect wrt to one's enjoyment of the story. One read to fill in the gaps between A and Z. Disappointment only enters into it once all links of the chain have been discerned, but if handled well this won't occur until nearly the very end, and the audience shall be so engrossed as not to notice in any case.
    Last edited by Rii; 25-08-2011 at 10:59 PM.

I wouldn't really consider it being spoilered if the knowledge of future events comes from the writer or creator themselves. For instance where a character has a premonition or a murder mystery in which the killer is shown at the start; they have been built in purposefully and with reason. In those instances you're not given the choice and can't really make the call either way as to which would be more enjoyable as that decision has been made for you, for creative reasons.

In most stories though, the creator has set a pace and timeline for events to unfold. Breaking that by seeking spoilers doesn't necessarily completely remove any or all enjoyment, but it takes the enjoyment to a much more cerebral level for me. That filling in the gap between A and Z, becomes much more of an "oh yes that was cleverly done on the creator's part, I enjoyed how they structured the journey", rather than a more immersive, emotional involvement.

Also, I think a lot of the time, the problem with spoilers is that they don't come from the author or your own choice, but randomly from somewhere else, which puts an entirely separate negative spin on it. There's a total removal of choice there about how you wanted to experience something.

Anyway......it's still not midnight. Any european in the future types playing yet? (I don't know why I'm asking, it's not like they'd be here)

And I'm not a Mr.

MS. sinomatic, then.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    OH NOES, sinomatic is telling the truth!
    I hate when that happens.

Apologies, I'll keep my barefaced truthiness down to a minimum in future.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a game to play...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    UoooOOOOoo... is a good game!, nice.

:DD

I wouldn't really consider it being spoilered if the knowledge of future events comes from the writer or creator themselves. For instance where a character has a premonition or a murder mystery in which the killer is shown at the start; they have been built in purposefully and with reason. In those instances you're not given the choice and can't really make the call either way as to which would be more enjoyable as that decision has been made for you, for creative reasons.
    Yes, you're absolutely right. That was a total brainfart on my part there. =/