Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar

Path of Exile Release Notes

Version 1.0 is coming on October 23rd, but Grinding Gear has started to release new info:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/536969

Some very tasty stuff there. New flexible class, new flexible gems, new areas, and finally an ingame guild system!

This is the best ARPG out there (if you can get past a couple of questionable design choices, like always online and the difficult respec), with a decent, honest free-to-play system, tons of possible builds, an extremely interesting skill system, tons of content, good, meaty action (once you level up a bit)... all made by a small New Zealand company which is very supportive and active.

So, we need a name for the RPS guild! Rock, Path, Exile is the obvious one, but can we come up with something better?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    If the main goal of this is to create an ingame RPS guild, shouldn't this be at the General Clubs subforum?

Also, I just started playing this today, bloody hell the passive skill map. And here I thought the FFX matter board was complex enough...
    Are Open Beta characters going to survive the switch to retail, or are they wiping everything?

There'll be no wipes (only the new leagues, but the current ones will stay). And yeah, a guild would be nice, but this is more to raise awareness since I remember many people saying they wanted to wait until beta was over to try the game out.

(oh, it'll also be "released" on Steam when 1.0 comes out)

As for the passive tree, it's daunting, but you'll get the hang of it soon enough. Just be ready to accept the fact that if you're going in blind (without following someone else's build), your first character or two will probably fail miserably at some point :)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Also, I just started playing this today, bloody hell the passive skill map.
    Beautiful, isn't it? I am done with PoE, but I always found the tree quite wonderful.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So how many viable builds are there? That is always the problem with a passive tree. You can easily gimp yourself and it ends up into cookie cutter builds. Along with straight up +% passive bonuses are very uninteresting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    So how many viable builds are there? That is always the problem with a passive tree. You can easily gimp yourself and it ends up into cookie cutter builds. Along with straight up +% passive bonuses are very uninteresting.
    Well, the active abilities are all handled through gems. And I VERY much prefer this approach as it doesn't force me to decide "So, is that new active that I just have a video on worth using, or am I better off getting +5% damage?" like some games do (Torchlight 1 was VERY notorious for this). Your gems are your actives, your skills are your passives.

And I am no expert (but I like the game and have pissed around with a few builds of my own), but there seem to be, last I checked, three or four very powerful and very viable super-builds with variations. So Lightning Arrow (is that the name, I forget) is a very powerful skill that a lot of archery builds are focused on. But some of those builds might use blood magic, others might start from a Templar, etc. While I am not sure how viable all of these will be with the heavier emphasis on PvP, I like the current system a lot.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Now I've got to actually finish this game so that I can get that new class.
    I stopped playing when they started screwing with the duelist tree, because in the process of trying to buff him they completely screwed over the build I was using.

They've been adding so many new skills and passives that there should be plenty more viable builds once 1.0 hits. In the past it was pretty much mandatory to stack health and be immune to stuns, for instance, but the change to defensive stats and this new "proc on stun" gem will probably mitigate that.

As they say they'll keep updating the game every two weeks (and since they have actually been doing that during beta, I believe them), I assume this will only get better with time.

Since people asked about builds, and since this might help make the passive tree less daunting, I've decided to share mine. Don't worry too much about "spoiling" the tree, since when 1.0 hits it'll suffer lots of changes and everyone will have their trees reset anyway (only the trees, not the characters). This is just so people new to the game start to understand the synergies you can come up with, etc.

Here it is, my Lightning Arrow Ranger.

It's actually fairly cookie-cutter, as far as these can exist in PoE. It's a solid AoE farming build with enough survivability where you can solo mostly anything in the game with few changes. My ranger is level 81, which is about as far as you can get in the game without crazy map farming, so this build will take you through Merciless and low maps (67-70) without many issues.

3 main things about it: boost elemental damage, boost health and armor, get Blood Magic.

We start on the Ranger side, of course, but don't stay there for long. We build towards the southeast, towards Iron Reflexes, grabbing the elemental damage and health nodes nearby (I also got the +30 intelligence node so I could better level my curses and auras). Now Iron Reflexes used to be almost mandatory back when Evasion was very lacklustre, but they've since tinkered with it so you could probably get away without it - but not in this build. It requires a lot of red gems so most of your gear will be str/dex anyway, so armor is pretty good still.

We go to the west next, grabbing the goodies on our way (Berserking especially) until we hit Unwavering Stance. At first glance, the downside looks pretty bad - cannot evade? But wait! Our evasion is already 0 anyway because of Iron Reflexes, so this is basically free stun immunity. And stuns are very dangerous in PoE.

Soon after we hit the cornerstone of this build - Blood Magic (this build is actually somewhat painful to play until we get it). Why is it awesome? Because it makes play simpler - we skipped all mana regen nodes, so until now we've been juggling mana potions like crazy to keep on top of things. With BM, we can get rid of our mana flasks and use only health/quicksilver/granite ones, which is incredibly helpful. Of course, for Blood Magic to work, we need some way to regain health while fighting - for this, we use the Life Gain on Hit support gem. Coupled with Lesser Multiple Projectiles and Lightning Arrow, this should easily allow you to regain more than enough health as you AoE things. The downside is that you do need to be careful while fighting few mobs, or bosses - watch your health!

We move on to the Marauder area, to get some pretty important defensive nodes and Resolute Technique. RT is great for AoE - crits are fun, but the sustainable DPS that RT gives you is pretty major, and it means we can pretty much ignore the Accuracy stat from now on.

Then to the Templar area to grab some more defense and their tasty Elemental Damage nodes, and we keep going north until we finally reach the Witch and two fun, endgame nodes: Static Blows and Inner Force. By the time you reach IF you should be using three auras (Wrath, Grace and Anger), so it's a great defense/DPS boost.

That's pretty much it for this build - good DPS, great survivability and relatively easy to play. When I go back to playing it I get two choices of where to go next. If I feel I need more DPS, I can go back all the way to the Ranger area and work towards Ballistic Mastery, if I need more defense, there are some health/armor nodes around that I haven't taken yet.

As for skills, you'll want for endgame at least a 5-link for Lightning Arrow (I go with LMP, LGoH or Life Leech, Faster Attacks and Weapon Elemental Damage), a 4-link for your three auras with Reduced Mana (which in this case reduces the reserved health), and a 4-5 link for your single-target skill, which will be either Frenzy or Elemental Hit (I prefer the latter). Use either a Decoy Totem or a Spell Totem with Summon Skeletons to round stuff up, throw a curse (Elemental Weakness or Conductivity), and have Bear Traps ready when you fight bosses/tough mobs and need to kite.

Network Hub
    I'm still in the middle of my PoE-Hiatus, since i simply had to take a break after playing a fairly obsessive amount of HC and onslaught HC (onslaught might have ended by now, so i guess i now have 2 level 80+ HC chars floating around in my character list), but i might actually pop back in once it's officially released and a RPS guild honestly sounds like a splendid idea - leveling alts and tinkering with stuff like endgame mapping is a chore on your own and meddling with public groups tends to irritate me.

When it comes to the guild name... Rock Paper Exile seems fine, but an alternative i could come up with on the spot would be Rock, Paper, Sarn (since PoE mostly revolves around standing in Sarn and spamming the trade chat or standing there while alt tabbed to the trade forums...*cough*) - And speaking from the perspective of a HC player: the two (dreaded) words 'Roah' and 'Perpetus' could also be worthy initial-replacement contenders... (Roah, Perpetus, Stunlock...? nah...)

Ok so I started a Shadow, is an emphasis on one-handed/dual-wielding (daggers) viable? It looks like fun!
    I hope we'll get a subforum when the game releases and we get around to create a guild.

edit: a few guild names idea?
    Rock, Paper, onSlaught
    Rock, Paper, Slaughter
    Last edited by starmatt; 11-10-2013 at 09:42 AM.
    Steam

Regal, Prism, Scrap? Rhoa, Piety, Siren?

As for whether things are viable, the more I read, the more I realize the passive tree is going to change so much for 1.0 that I really can't tell things anymore. I'd hope any weapon style should be viable (I'd love a decent axe build, for instance, which hasn't happened so far).

But yes, we should have a guild. I don't enjoy trading (only if I really need a gem), but given that global chat can be either very fun or a complete disaster, it'd be nice to have a good guild channel.

Here are the full 1.0.0 patch notes:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/545523

Here's hoping their server won't melt down tomorrow!

Very much looking forward to release. If only because I have had a craving for weeks now but didn't want to start until the new League is up (because there really is no reason to NOT be in a non-standard league)

Not sure what kind of build I will shoot for, but thinking something Witch-based as I was a Ranger for a while in the beta.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

I'll probably try the Scion first, but it is hard to plan without the updated passive tree. I feel like trying something silly like dual-wielding axes with evasion...

I am interested in just how much Scion will dominate the builds community. For basically anything where you need to traverse a large part of skilldrasil there isn't much reason to not use Scion (unless the passives right next to it end up being really crap).

Yeah, I'm waiting on the final design of the tree to see how overpowered Scions will or won't be. And given all the balance changes, I'm pretty sure very few of the beta builds will survive after 1.0 (that WED nerf is a huge blow for my LA ranger, for instance).

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    that WED nerf is a huge blow for my LA ranger, for instance.
    I've only skimmed the patch notes so far, but i'm not entirely sure if it's really that much of a problem - It obviously depends on how much the elemental auras got buffed, but my gut says that lightning arrow/elemental hit/frenzy and all that jazz will still be viable - LA Rangers always had quite a bit of a safe margin for damage related nerfs, at least back when i played one a while ago.

But alas, i'm a bit worried about my HC witches aswell - One of them is one of those dreaded dual totem sporkers (yes, i openly admit that i absolutely love playing sporkers!) and heavily reduced spark duration and increased damage reduction of totems doesn't bode particularely well... traps seem to have been nerfed aswell? we'll see.

But nothing in those patch notes made me frown as much as the fact that they gave sadima's touch a level requirement... that's just evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Procrastination Giant View Post
    I've only skimmed the patch notes so far, but i'm not entirely sure if it's really that much of a problem - It obviously depends on how much the elemental auras got buffed, but my gut says that lightning arrow/elemental hit/frenzy and all that jazz will still be viable - LA Rangers always had quite a bit of a safe margin for damage related nerfs, at least back when i played one a while ago.
    Right, I forgot about the aura buffs... but then they also increased requirements for them, right? So it looks like those crazy Lioneye/Kaom builds with 5 auras will be gone (not that I ever got one of those items)... ugh, so many questions to answer!

Network Hub
    Yeah, i didn't notice that 60% reserve change to all auras untill i skimmed through the changes a second time - builds built around the blood magic passive might indeed run into some issues, unless they've upped the number of aura passive nodes or shuffled them around somewhat.

Overall I'm not really sure how i feel about those aura changes in general, but on the bright side: auras always felt a bit broken, and not being able to stack 5-6 of them might actually make room for some additional utility gems (those new trigger gems sound pretty fascinating). And on the frustrating side: It's one of those changes that will mostly affect people that play solo - But that always has been one of PoE's problems. we'll see... we'll see... (the day after tomorrow most likely... i'll probably stick to my old mantra to never, ever play on a patch day - just in case that they'll accidentally buff kole again or something)