Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Procrastination Giant View Post
    Yeah, i didn't notice that 60% reserve change to all auras untill i skimmed through the changes a second time - builds built around the blood magic passive might indeed run into some issues, unless they've upped the number of aura passive nodes or shuffled them around somewhat.
    About that, this comes from the lead dev, Chris Wilson:

There are so many comments of people complaining about Blood Magic. There's a specific notable and many other passives that reduce the mana reservation costs.

Also, there are a lot of new trap passives that increase their damage as well (more than compensating for trap adjustments).

Edit: it's just really amusing to see people say we nerfed what is now an even more powerful build.
    I'm glad! Call me lazy, but BM simplifies things so much, I'd hate to see it go.

There's also this interesting interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    So how many viable builds are there? That is always the problem with a passive tree. You can easily gimp yourself and it ends up into cookie cutter builds. Along with straight up +% passive bonuses are very uninteresting.
    You can gimp yourself for endgame quite easiliy but that's half the fun IMO. The game is like a puzzle to create a good build. Looking up templates on the internet is possible of course but for me it would spoil a lot of the fun of this game. I'm quite casual with it though so I have no rush to make a character who's viable at endgame.

Network Hub
    The 1.0 client is up for grabs on Steam and i'm downloading it at this very moment - Throwing out my previous installation to replace it with the steam version seems like the way to go since i'm fairly sure that their own servers are a bit stressed right now, to say the least - can't even log into their website to look at my characters and especially the revamped skilltree at the moment. (not being able to look at my characters might be a good thing... the last time i played was during onslaught and i do NOT look forward to play stash tetris... i'll probably have about 30 temporal stash tabs from the old league and various races to clean up and merge into 16 in total or so)

I'm downloading as well, but I just got the skill tree to load at their site :) I sorta wanted Steam's convenience, but on the other hand their own client will probably still be quicker to deploy patches in the long run... I think I'll end up having both installs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Games like PS2 and the like seem to mostly download the launcher/downloader itself through steam but still use their own content servers for the game proper. So there is a good chance that you'll still need to use the POE servers and that the patches will be at the same rate.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    Yeah, seeing that steam is only downloading 2.7gb right now that might indeed be the case. but at least i finally managed to log in via website - Judging by a fairly quick look at the scion i'd say that it might end up being the new go-to class for HC... the amount of health and es nodes reachable within the first 15 levels or so is mindboggling.

edit: yeah, i'd say i like the starting position of the scion:
    My skilltree-fu might be a bit rusty, but for a thoughtlessly quick attempt at a Dual-Totem-CI-Aura-Scion this doesn't look half bad (probably horribly optimised and i might have committed ES-overkill. also i have no idea if those 'increased effect of auras' nodes do what i think they're doing.)

edit 2: Apparently the steam version is already fully pre-patched and basically ready to go - and by the looks of it it might actually fetch future patches via steam aswell, afterall. so that's great i guess. But apart from the servers being too busy to let me log in i seem to have run into a small issue with the steam version - There currently doesn't seem to be a way to input the unlock code that gets sent when you lock in from a new location if you have linked your PoE account to the steam account, so it endlessly hangs on authenticating user instead of opening the prompt for the code. Guess that'll sort itself out in a bit - back to civilization v in the meantime.
    Last edited by Procrastination Giant; 23-10-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Yeah, I think there's a subtle difference between those new "Increased Effects of Auras You Cast" and things like Inner Force - namely, the former only applies to the ones *you cast*, while Inner Force would also buff things from other party members. Sadly I never really played a CI Totem build so I can't critique yours.

Here's my crazy attempt at a Spectral Throw/Heavy Strike 2h Axe build based on Evasion! Oh yeah, baby. I only used 95 points.

In a nutshell:

Attack Speed 35
    Phys Damage 197
    Proj Damage 32
    Melee Damage 33
    Accuracy 28
    Stun Duration 15
    Life % 136
    Max Life 32
    Life Regen 1,2
    Life Leech 2
    Dodge Chance 40
    Armour -26
    Spell Dodge 30
    Evasion % 172
    Base Evasion 20
    All Resists 28
    Mana Reserved -30
    Movement Speed 6
    Cast Speed 6
    Dexterity 130
    Strength 180
    Iron Grip
    Blood Magic
    Resolute Technique

This probably won't work (resists are scarily low, for instance), but it might be fun.
    Last edited by Faldrath; 23-10-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Planning to grab a friend and go back to PoE, now that it's in full release. However, I assume that with the Steam release and the 1.0 status the servers are getting hammered into the dirt. Am I right about that? I figured waiting a few weeks might be wise...

Hmm. Looks like the Steam download might actually BE the client. Not sure, waiting for an email to link my account to my steam account, but this seems to be the full game.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Well, I linked my Steam account and now the game won't let me log in because apparently "Someone is trying to use your account to log-in from an unfamiliar location"

I'm about 119% sure that someone is me, but alas my account is locked now and I think waiting it out is probably the best course of action.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Planning to grab a friend and go back to PoE, now that it's in full release. However, I assume that with the Steam release and the 1.0 status the servers are getting hammered into the dirt. Am I right about that? I figured waiting a few weeks might be wise...
    Actually, I'm on right now and the server looks completely stable, my latency is unchanged from pre-release.

edit: I didn't have any issues with the steam linking...

Network Hub
    Apparently the developers are aware of the problems related to the steam version and the ip-change related unlock code - in the current version of the steam client the box for entering the unlock code simply doesn't pop up and you're stuck on authenticating user. I found a workaround, though:

Download the non-steam client, install it to a new location, copy the Content.ggpk from the steam version into the new location and run it to let it patch (should only download about 20mb) - then you can simply start that version and enter your unlock code. after that the steam version should work just fine (at least it did in my case)

Managed to log-in, already grabbed all the loot off my old chars, put it in the stash, nuked, and ready to roll a new one in the new league.

Gonna give it a day or so to let things stabilize though, and to get a better feel for the new tree.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Procrastination Giant View Post
    Apparently the developers are aware of the problems related to the steam version and the ip-change related unlock code - in the current version of the steam client the box for entering the unlock code simply doesn't pop up and you're stuck on authenticating user. I found a workaround, though:

Download the non-steam client, install it to a new location, copy the Content.ggpk from the steam version into the new location and run it to let it patch (should only download about 20mb) - then you can simply start that version and enter your unlock code. after that the steam version should work just fine (at least it did in my case)
    This worked for me, cheers!
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Network Hub
    Nice, my main Witch still works just fine despite the changes to aura costs and some changes to the passive tree. Took some creative shuffeling of skill points, but apart from losing a bit of damage (totem nerf, not enough points for a couple of damage nodes etc.) she still feels fairly solid and ended up with quite a bit more ES than before - Only running clarity, purity and discipline, though, and judging by that i'd say that any more might be difficult, to say the least - but those new aura nodes definitely feel fairly powerful and now, with the new tree, i actually feel motivated to level up some more, even that that character is stuck in the legacy league - the last time i played that witch i had no interesting nodes whatsoever left within reach and now it feels like every level might add some tasty percentages. My CI Sporker - Yeah, my passive-tree-fu is definitely lacking these days and i really should use some crit nodes or something.

Found a fairly tiny, yet irritating bug, though - apparently the new aura passives don't get reapplied if you change zones? Have to recast my auras each time i teleport around to get the benefits from those.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Actually, I'm on right now and the server looks completely stable, my latency is unchanged from pre-release.

edit: I didn't have any issues with the steam linking...
    Surprising, but good to hear. Thanks!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    To those that are reading this thread and are put off the game as they have no idea what anyone is talking about, don't be! Played with a few friends last night and had great time. I've dabbled a bit in Diablo 2 and Torchlight, but never been obsessive about any of these kind of games, but I had a really great.

I think what really stands out for me is the active skill system. Using the gems, which come at you reasonable quickly, means you get to play around with a large number skills early on. I played for maybe an hour and half and tried out probably 6 or 7 different skills. In a regular ARPG, I might have gotten about 2 or 3 by that stage, all at relatively low level. The passive skill tree is kind of insane when you first look at it, but it seems to be quite straightforward to get to grips with after you have leveled up a couple of times; I've only had a couple of choices to make at each level, so it isn't as daunting as you might initially think.

I'm currently working on a Shadow, who will focus on dual wielding. The nice thing about his agility/intelligence mix is that you can get a nice bit of intelligence points to get your shield up, making up for your lack of focus on strength to buff health.

How long I will stick with the game I'm not sure, as I normally do get bored with these sort of games after 15-hours or so, but initial impressions were definitely positive. That art style is little drab at the moment, but the enemy design is quite nice in places, albeit nothing special. Except that, all seems good so far.

Edit: Also, no issues with lag or syncing. I had a nightmare time with Torchlight 2, which made it unplayable, but no such issues here. Do turn off chat and trading messages straight away though.
    Last edited by Vandelay; 25-10-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Yeah. Don't worry about not making an optimal build. Your first run through on Normal should be to just learn the games and mechanics. The trick is to save gems and useful items (even for other classes) in your stash. That way, when you finish the game, you can try a new character that might have a better build.

Your new character will have a much easier start (as you have lots of active skills to choose from and maybe even some nice gear) and you'll know more of what you are doing by then.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Is there a way to see at a glance how much items add to base stats, or do I have to hover over every item and remember the values?

I find the microtransactions ridiculous. 9 dollars for an alternate fireball? 9.5 dollars for the daily deal shiny footprints? How do they expect to make a profit after the fanatical BLIZZARD SUCKS crowd buys some stahes and design-a-unique-packs?