Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

King of Dragon Pass/city builder hybrid?

Does such a thing exist?

King of Dragon pass is essentially a management game where you guide a stoneage tribe through hostile and faintly Nordic, fantasy world. You don't really do anything yourself other than send out parties to explore/trade/raid and do a little light research and fortification building while attempting to keep your populace and neighbours happy. Its an interesting game but I find it a little hollow as there really isn't that much to do after a while.

Something along similar lines but with more direct interaction with your settlement and your surroundings would be what I am interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    Does such a thing exist?

King of Dragon pass is essentially a management game where you guide a stoneage tribe through hostile and faintly Nordic, fantasy world. You don't really do anything yourself other than send out parties to explore/trade/raid and do a little light research and fortification building while attempting to keep your populace and neighbours happy. Its an interesting game but I find it a little hollow as there really isn't that much to do after a while.

Something along similar lines but with more direct interaction with your settlement and your surroundings would be what I am interested in.
    I don't think such a thing exists.

But it should.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Granath View Post
    I don't think such a thing exists.

But it should.
    I second this emotion. Or something.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    How about Eador: Genesis? It's really the closest I can think of to what you're describing, but it's a bit lacking in the atmosphere/setting department compared to KoDP since it's fairly generic fantasy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    City builders with REAL CHOICES it'd rare, tropico touches on it with campaign promises and world and domestic diplomacy.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hinterland is an interesting middle-ground - I found it a BIT limited and BIT frustrating as it's rather too random at times (you'll get demands from the King for stupid things sometimes) but it sort-of fits your needs - a bit - well more than almost anything else does...

I have all of the current suggestions and none of them are really what I am looking for. I think I have discovered a new niche! Game developers, do your duty.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Do you have everything Tilted-Mill have done - they've covered this stuff pretty extensively :)

Network Hub
    Dragon Commander does a bit of this, too. Haven't played it yet but maybe worth a try?

I am like the OP... I like things like game books but feel like they're too random and basic. So KoDP is pretty neat.

The only tilted mill game that I have played is Hinterland, which I found to be mildly diverting but ultimately a shallow ARPG. I hadn't heard of Dragon Commander, I think I will give it a go.

I seem to remember a steampunk city builder/colony management game getting previewed a good while ago but I can't remember what it was called?

What I would like in a game would be a small colony/village/clan in a fairly hostile environment. You would be in charge of its overall direction by issuing missions that your population would undertake (explore, trade, fight, prospect etc) while directing the populations labour (x builders, y farmers etc), ordering the construction of key buildings (but not individual homes or farms) and directing research. There would also be a 'day to day' lot of interaction in the form of small text quests which could have profound effects. Basically KoDP but much expanded and with more player interaction

I seem to remember a steampunk city builder/colony management game getting previewed a good while ago but I can't remember what it was called?
    You might be thinking about Clockwork Empires, though from my understanding it's more aiming to be a Dwarf Fortress-lite than a KoDP successor.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The only tilted mill game that I have played is Hinterland, which I found to be mildly diverting but ultimately a shallow ARPG. I hadn't heard of Dragon Commander, I think I will give it a go.

What I would like in a game would be a small colony/village/clan in a fairly hostile environment. You would be in charge of its overall direction by issuing missions that your population would undertake (explore, trade, fight, prospect etc) while directing the populations labour (x builders, y farmers etc), ordering the construction of key buildings (but not individual homes or farms) and directing research. There would also be a 'day to day' lot of interaction in the form of small text quests which could have profound effects. Basically KoDP but much expanded and with more player interaction
    While I'm pretty sure they're not what you're actually looking for, have you tried Neocore's King Arthur games? I'm just thinking of the way they combine a gamebook approach with a more involved, PC-centric genre (RTS) and the fact that the two feed into each other. First is supposedly significantly better than the second, but you can usually find one or the other turning up in a sale for not very much these days.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Do you have everything Tilted-Mill have done - they've covered this stuff pretty extensively :)
    Not exactly. There is pretty much no combat and certainly no magic or quests/decisions. They do make the best city builders though.

Banned
    I have all of the current suggestions and none of them are really what I am looking for. I think I have discovered a new niche! Game developers, do your duty.
    I am! Although to be fair its my first serious project so I can't say much for quality. Also I lose a lot of time due to mental issues.

On the plus side its open source, since I didn't want to write a graphics/particle engine so I used the Glest Advanced Engine as a starting point, easy to mod, and free.

The most concise description of my project is Majesty/KoDP/Emperor.

Majesty is a game where all the mobile units have agent based AI rather than direct RTS control and you can assign flags like explore, attack, defend with cash rewards to entice heroes. Houses spawn automatically as you recruit heroes but they are really just tax producing things. They don't simulate people. You build guilds for heroes and econ buildings for items. There is some low level upgrade type stuff.

You clearly know what KoDP is.

Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom is one of the aforementioned Tilted Mill/Impressions city builders, well technically it was contracted out, but the gameplay is pretty much the same as Zeus/Pharaoh.

You'd have to read one of my more detailed posts for a full explanation. Probably this one on Bay12:
    http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index...815#msg4489815

If you are looking for something by professional game devs your best bet is probably Clockwork Empires by Gaslamp Games. Titled Mill just put Medieval Mayor on hiatus. CE is not exactly the same as KoDP and I suspect it doesn't have an event system as KoDP did but its pretty awesome.

Banished is a nice new city builder coming out but no magic or combat and no event system.

The city builder I'm most looking forward to is Banished.

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/?page_id=680

I don't think it will have any KoDP-style adventures in it, but one can hope. At the very least, it looks pretty cool and it should be out soon.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Granath View Post
    The city builder I'm most looking forward to is Banished.

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/?page_id=680

I don't think it will have any KoDP-style adventures in it, but one can hope. At the very least, it looks pretty cool and it should be out soon.
    I'm buying it even though its short on magic and combat because holy crap is that guy awesome. Sure his focus is on graphical prettiness, but the gameplay is pretty good and I know it won't have lag. I wish he had kept the crop rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
    I'm buying it even though its short on magic and combat
    Err.

Sure his focus is on graphical prettiness,
    What?

but the gameplay is pretty good and I know it won't have lag.
    Huh?

I wish he had kept the crop rotation.
    But...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BTAxis View Post
    Err.

What?

Huh?

But...
    I don't know what you are trying to say. Sorry.

Obscure Node
    Dev update on Banished, with new trailer and how to buy (but not yet when), for those who are interested at http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/?p=1697

Banned
    1 post account to make a post about banished in a thread that really isn't about banished?

On the other hand I'm dying to play this.