Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Enslaved: Odyssey To The PC

After being spotted on the Australian rating board website, there have been confirmations of Enslaved getting a re-release - and on PC, too.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/8/481...d-in-australia

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/enslav...eams-registry/

[edit] Nevermind, just found this. Thread can be closed...
    Last edited by c-Row; 10-10-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Nah, I don't read the leak thread so this has made me happy!

Enslaved was one of those games that looked "right down my alley (TM)" and that I was "disappointed wasn't on PC (R)."

So hurrah!

Activated Node
    It's good. The combat is kinda just okay, but there's still a lot of variety and a fair bit of challenge. The voice acting is top notch and the story is very good.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    No it's not. Terrible, nonsensical, borderline morally offensive storyline, stilted, simplistic combat, poorly done difficulty curve, archaic platforming that plays like a bargain-basement Uncharted. To say I was surprised at how good DmC was after this rubbish would be an understatement. Superb facial tech, though, I'll give them that much.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Story by Alex Garland and main character played by Andy Serkis. Garland also had an input on the presentation and world design. I loved this game on the PS3 and I'm looking forward to play it at more than 25 fps with dips below 20!
    Also looking forward to the expansion.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    No it's not. Terrible, nonsensical, borderline morally offensive storyline, stilted, simplistic combat, poorly done difficulty curve, archaic platforming that plays like a bargain-basement Uncharted. To say I was surprised at how good DmC was after this rubbish would be an understatement. Superb facial tech, though, I'll give them that much.
    What did you find offensive (morally) about the plot? I'll agree that the combat was simplistic, there was no difficulty curve, and that the platforming was PS2-era, but I love it for the acting and the plot (I found it to be a refreshing take on the source material).

Spoilers:
    Is it how Monkey bonds with his captor even while she has him enslaved by the collar? Because I thought that was handled pretty well. She only did it out of fear and as a last resort, it is never portrayed as anything other than monstrous and horrific, and Monkey later accepted that his first impulse, to turn tail (heh) and run was probably not the right thing to do. She offers to free him on the eve of the battle (long after he had been enslaved in any capacity except for having the collar on) and he chose not to as a matter of trust.
    At its core, Enslaved is about two VERY flawed people and the mistakes they make.
    Last edited by gundato; 10-10-2013 at 06:26 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    What did you find offensive (morally) about the plot? I'll agree that the combat was simplistic, there was no difficulty curve, and that the platforming was PS2-era, but I love it for the acting and the plot (I found it to be a refreshing take on the source material).
    Partly your spoilers, yes - I disagree that what you said excuses it, I would find it morally wrong to allow someone to do that, whatever they think their reasons are - but it was more the way the plot resolves, the idiotic attempt at moral ambiguity, and the way the story devolves into "Where In The World Is Andy Serkis". Spoilers (spoilers are just white text, right?) - the bad guys are clearly, blatantly, ridiculously bad, and the limp-wristed stab at "Do you really know what you're doing? I put it to you that you don't, ohohoho" shouldn't have fooled an eight-year-old. I was literally sitting there with my mouth open at how clumsy it was.

Also, while the voice acting was pretty good, the script wasn't great and Pigsy was not funny. (But then Minsc from Baldur's Gate 2 drives me into fits of near-homicidal rage, so I just don't seem to be in tune with what most people who play video games will laugh at.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Spoilers (spoilers are just white text, right?) - the bad guys are clearly, blatantly, ridiculously bad, and the limp-wristed stab at "Do you really know what you're doing? I put it to you that you don't, ohohoho" shouldn't have fooled an eight-year-old. I was literally sitting there with my mouth open at how clumsy it was.
    The delivery was a bit clumsy but I disagree that it's bad.
    I agreed with Cypher in The Matrix though...

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Nah, I don't read the leak thread so this has made me happy!

Enslaved was one of those games that looked "right down my alley (TM)" and that I was "disappointed wasn't on PC (R)."

So hurrah!
    I played the demo way after its initial release on my XBox once and loved it, but I was in the "disappointed wasn't on PC " camp, too.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Gameplay is better then heavenly sword but still medicore,camera can give you allot of problems. And that ape who chases you through game is bad design if you ask me. Otherwise nice characters with epic finale at the end.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    (Spoilers'd just in case.)

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    The delivery was a bit clumsy but I disagree that it's bad.
    I agreed with Cypher in The Matrix though...
    Uh huh. Unless I'm horribly, horribly misremembering it, this is a game which begins with one of the bad guys' underlings being murdered by remote control right in front of you when you try and ask them to explain what's going on. I'd have no problems with Cipher either (well, fewer), if the punishment for revealing the Matrix existed (or trying to escape it) was something other than death.

EDIT: Now if you want an actual under-rated console game that came out around that time, why not port Majin? Namco stuck that out along with Enslaved and I still remember thinking 1) it was bloody obvious why Enslaved tanked, because it just wasn't very good, and 2) it was obvious why Majin tanked, because all the attention it should have got went to Enslaved instead. Ninja Theory went on to do DmC, which admittedly I like, but everyone looked at Majin and went "Hahaha, isn't that made by the GIANT ENEMY CRAB!!1!1! idiots? I'm not playing that", the developer went bust and apparently the studio head ended up living in poverty. :(
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 11-10-2013 at 10:18 AM.

I played the demo of Majin and didn't like it.

The Enslaved demo, on the other hand, I liked. Ended up buying and enjoying the game very much. :)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    I played the demo of Majin and didn't like it.

The Enslaved demo, on the other hand, I liked. Ended up buying and enjoying the game very much. :)
    Majin wasn't great but it had a dual-character setup that actually meant something, with puzzles that were simple but interesting/rewarding to solve, combat that had depth and exploration that required some thought. Enslaved had a dual-character setup that meant nothing (with one character reduced to nothing but QTEs a lot of the time), where all the puzzles were insultingly basic, combat was just button-mashing broken up with arbitrary difficulty spikes and exploration was pretty much all linear corridors with nothing interesting off the beaten track, if there even was anything off the beaten track at all.

But Enslaved had weird art design, awesome faces (one of them a pretty lady) and just looked plain different (and the internet loves different), while Majin ran on a creaky graphics engine that looked uncomfortably like an upscaled PS2 game in places and one character spoke like a rather thoughtless caricature of someone with learning difficulties, so the vocal internet minority and several critics who should have known better decided one was awesome new IP and why isn't it selling???, and the other was swiftly relegated to the bargain bin and forgotten about.

And now presumably because DmC got the fanboys worked up and didn't sell as well as Capcom wanted, we get this. Stop trying to make Enslaved happen, Ninja Theory, it's not going to happen. (At least I hope it's not, otherwise I shall be most put out.)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Rubbish game.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Rubbish game.
    Useless comment.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Oh all right. :)

Shallow "platforming", effectively automated. Limited - at best - combat. Hopelessly awful difficulty curve to compensate for aforementioned elements.

It is a good story, well acted, lovely art design and as mentioned above, excellent facial animation. Which makes the awful gameplay even more prevalent.

Ninja Theory encapsulate the worst of gaming for me in their output. All slick style but zero substance disguised by an approach that is practically an insult. I cannot abide by games that pretty much play themselves. The only game that did it worse was the PoP reboot from 2008.

For the same reasons I understand why many people like the game. Its just something I will never be able to comprehend as there are far better options available out there.

That their DmC reboot was as good as it was is still shocking to me. If they can continue on a similar vein in future games, Ninja Theory can finally call themselves a game development studio instead of a faux movie one.
    Last edited by khaz; 11-10-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Useful comment. ;)

Oh all right. :)

I cannot abide by games that pretty much play themselves. The only game that did it worse was the PoP reboot from 2008.
    Usually people saying this abandoned PoP 2008 in the opening levels. The minutes long with no breaks platforming sequences later on are crazy. The platforming is about rhythm and flow, being able to find the right path without stopping. Once you acquire the magic powers, you must chart a course through levels that are basically Escherian labyrinths. It asks you to be able to actually navigate the level, which is as valid as asking you to be precise in timing and distance-measuring.

Enslaved requires none of the above but I still found it pleasant enough. Monkey's Cloud is brilliant though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    The only game that did it worse was the PoP reboot from 2008.
    As a fan of POP2008, this is a compliment to me.
    Steam
    Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Usually people saying this abandoned PoP 2008 in the opening levels. The minutes long with no breaks platforming sequences later on are crazy. The platforming is about rhythm and flow, being able to find the right path without stopping. Once you acquire the magic powers, you must chart a course through levels that are basically Escherian labyrinths. It asks you to be able to actually navigate the level, which is as valid as asking you to be precise in timing and distance-measuring.

Enslaved requires none of the above but I still found it pleasant enough. Monkey's Cloud is brilliant though.
    Not sure I'd go that far in praising PoP 2008 - and I loathed the ending almost as much as I did Enslaved (it felt like the videogame equivalent of a focus-tested epilogue in a movie that makes no sense). But I agree it's a far better realised game than Enslaved, much more involving, and frequently a joy to play for all its flaws. Enslaved deserved to tank: PoP 2k8 definitely had problems, but it didn't deserve quite the kicking it got, critically or commercially.