Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Monitor Doesn't seem to detect input properly.

So I've got a Samsung 226BW 22" monitor, which I've had for years.

However, over the past week or two, it's been showing some very frustrating behaviour.

On power up of my PC, it doesn't seem to recognise that there;s any input there. It just sits there, pulsing the power light to indicate it is in power save mode, and not responding to any button presses. Initally, it was sufficient to power cycle the monitor (just by the front soft button) and it would eventually pick up. As of the last few days however, the only thing that seems to be working is to swap inputs between the VGA and DVI a few times, eventually it catches on (and then needs 2-3 power cycles where it "flickers" before I eventually get a stable image).

Anybody got any ideas? Is it worth me getting the tool-kit out and searchiing for loose connections, or are we more likely talking faulty parts?

How's the connector? Missing any pins? Maybe dirty? Reinsert it a few times and try again. Low chance that it will work but it's a possible solution.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    How's the connector? Missing any pins? Maybe dirty? Reinsert it a few times and try again. Low chance that it will work but it's a possible solution.
    Looks fine, and it's equally as flakey on the VGA input as it is on the DVI, so I don't think so.

Probably not that then. It might just be crapping itself. Don't think there's anything you can do short of opening it up, but I'm not a monitor expert.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Popped it open.
    Nothing visibly wrong (all connections solid, no signs of arcing, no burnt/burst components).
    I also better understand the problem (sort of). The thing just gets itself pretty much completely stuck in standby mode the whole time. Doesn't really respond to button presses, doesn't respond to input...
    Enough swapping back and forth of the input cables (or rebooting of the PC) normally gets through to it eventually.
    Very frustrating all round though.

Network Hub
    Have you tried plugging your PC into a different monitor/TV? Might be worth making sure the fault is definitely with your monitor.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've run a dual monitor setup already.

Also tried other sources.

It's the monitor.

(Although both my monitors now exhibt a similar problem. Throwing the other, older one on the floor didn't help though)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I had this a while ago. Can't really help except to say mine was replaced under warranty. Unless you're comfortable messing around inside the monitor I don't think there's much you can do about it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I could buy a "replacement main board" off ebay (from the US).
    I'd be happy enough putting it in.
    Reluctant to spend ~50 if I don't know that is where the fault lies though.

I've been experiencing a similar sort of problem with my Samsung monitor myself. (Don't have anything helpful to suggest about it, I never found a workaround short of resetting my computer when the monitor didn't realise it was there on bootup..)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, I've annoyingly found plenty of places where people explain that a flickering problem with this monitor is caused by faulty capacitors on the power board, with part numbers provided for replacement capacitors.
    However, the few threads I've found with this issue just have people providing none-helpful responses about the PC's sleep mode.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    For the record, turns out that the issue was indeed capacitors. Ordered some replacements from RS Components, fitted them, problem seems to be solved. Disco vered that I need a better soldering iron, mind.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Congrats on the fix :)