Lesser Hivemind Node

Is 1366x768 ok for a new TV?

Quick question, because there is a 19 inch LCD tv on sale pretty cheap in a store near my office, but it's today only.

It's a 19 inch 1366x768 toshiba (19b5).

I know nothing about LCD tvs, as I'm still rocking an old style tube tv. I know 19 inches will sound tiny to lots of people, but money is an issue, and also my apartment is pretty tiny. I used to have a nice big 32 inch tv when I had a big house in the UK.
    Due to not watching much local TV, and being overseas, and getting most of my entertainment from the internet these days, I never really got around to upgrading to an LCD / Digital Tv. I still use DVDs and never upgrade to Blueray either. (though I do love movies).

Anyway, I'm not up to date on HDTV resolutions, and I noticed that 1080p tvs are labeled "full HD", so that implies that 768p ones aren't? It may well not be an issue on a small screen, but I just don't want to end up with an obsolete resolution that won't work with newer tech in the future.

(I don't think I'll ever switch to blueray, more likely go with something fully digital, but I'm wondering if that is at a higher resolution than 768? And will it downscale? Will it look bad? etc...)

Yay or nay on a 1366x768 TV?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    720p is HD - so anything which is somethingx720-or-better is HD

1080P is FullHD - so anything which is somethingx1080-or-better is FullHD

On screens smaller than 40", you DO NOT NEED FullHD IMO - you simply will not see any difference.

The only difference between TVs and Monitors these days is that TVs have some sort of tuner (Freeview or whatever) and they often have lower refresh rates (which makes them less-than-ideal for PC usage)

If you don't NEED the tuner, you may be able to find a monitor cheaper. Someone tried to sell me 2x19" monitors yesterday for 20 and I hesitated - that's how cheap monitors like that are these days...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    For 19 inches, it's fine.

But... I live in a small apartment too, and my 26-inch TV still feels a bit on the small side.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    On screens smaller than 40", you DO NOT NEED FullHD IMO - you simply will not see any difference.
    this is not true.
    it all depends on the distance you view the picture. so 4k resolution is not enough while sitting few cms away from screen and 480p can be good enough for 100inch tv when watching tv from other side of the soccer field.

don't really see a point of 19inch myself. way too small.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    this is not true.
    it all depends on the distance you view the picture. so 4k resolution is not enough while sitting few cms away from screen and 480p can be good enough for 100inch tv when watching tv from other side of the soccer field.

don't really see a point of 19inch myself. way too small.
    Also, the quality of the TV (usually meaning the price) makes the difference as in how good it upscales media. If you have a cheap large TV, you may experience artefacting, not unlike in JPGs or bad compressed videos. (or just tiny videos youre watching on a huge screen)

Since youre using a computer, might I suggest just getting an antenna for your PC? I assume it has a larger screen.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Thanks for the quick answers. I'm still undecided so I'll have to flip a coin when I walk past the store.

PS/ I know TV sizes have increased dramatically over the last 10 years, but I still don't really consider 19 samll (though definitely not big). I think there has always been a massive size difference between US and UK tvs.
    Back in 2005 when I last bought a TV I got a 32" widescreen one, and every single person who visited my house commented on how huge it was. I imagine even back then a 32" tv wouldn't have been considered big in the USA.
    I've been on a 14" tv and a 17"laptop monitor since then, so the whole leap to HDTVs/LCDs/Big TVs has passed me by. I've found 14" ok for everything except movies, and I tend to watch those on my laptop.
    Apparently in the UK, the average size of TV in 2002 was 21" and in 2012 it was 32", yet all the online forums I've visited (mainly filled with americans, i guess) seem to sniff at anything under 40" and don't even mention anything under 34".

Then again, I'd imagine even this 19" will cost more here than many 40" TVs in the states, so that's probably not surprising.

I did suggest a 22" tv to the other half, but she thought it was too big.

Well 19 inches is considered tiny in Denmark. Also when it comes to TVs. ;)

I got my 26-inch TV several years ago, and it was considered small-ish even then (as it is now, albeit more so).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    this is not true.
    it all depends on the distance you view the picture.
    I'd argue not - in dot-pitch terms - UNLESS you sit inches from the screen perhaps (and even then...)

A mate has a 50" TV which is 720p and you can tell it's 720p - we have a 32" which is 1080p and you cannot so the line is somewhere between those.

No-one is buying a 19" TV and sitting 3m away from it I guess, it would be like a postage stamp! We have a 32" TV in our front-room and it's OK when sitting 2m away - perhaps a BIT on the small side.

I managed 3+ years sitting 30cm from a 19" monitor tho - the 24 I have now is, arguably, a BIT too big really...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Well 19 inches is considered tiny in Denmark. Also when it comes to TVs. ;)

I got my 26-inch TV several years ago, and it was considered small-ish even then (as it is now, albeit more so).
    In the UK it would appear that TVs are something of a competition - it's impossible to walk down any street without seeing someone who's basically turned an ENTIRE WALL into a Coronation Street displayscreen...

They do say that you can tell a lot about a person by comparing the size of their TV and their bookcase tho :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I find resolutions like 1366x768 for a TV really odd, and would be inclined to avoid buying one.
    Surely you want a TV for which the native resolution will match at least some sources?
    It won't match 720p (1280 x 720) or any of the old SD formats. As far as I can see, you get TVs at this res because it used to be a popular laptop res.

16:9 is standard for TVs nowadays. It's just that 19 inches is so small by current standards - it's small for a computer monitor, let alone for a TV.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    I find resolutions like 1366x768 for a TV really odd, and would be inclined to avoid buying one.
    Surely you want a TV for which the native resolution will match at least some sources?
    It won't match 720p (1280 x 720) or any of the old SD formats. As far as I can see, you get TVs at this res because it used to be a popular laptop res.
    Many of the "720p" TVs actually are 1366x768, for some reason.

to the OP - you referenced the Partner Acceptance Rating; please, for the love of god, do whatever results in the most domestic harmony!
    Last edited by Geebs; 15-10-2013 at 12:14 AM.